Hi all! Hope you are all fantastic! I haven’t posted much in the past week because I have been pouring my blood, sweat and tears into this piece!!!
It may be hard to believe but it once looked like this!
This is a piece from our game room. There is nothing wrong with it but my boys are getting older and I really want the room to have a more mature look. This hutch fits great in the corner however, the yellow, blue and sports decor didn’t fit with the picture I had in my mind…
I started by taking the cabinet doors off and cutting the wooden sport decals out of the doors. I used my Ryobi battery powered circular saw to start, then Whit’s hand saw to tackle the hard-to-reach spots and finished off with a good sanding to smooth the edges.
Enough of the elbow grease….let’s paint!
I used a Shanty Sisters fav ~ Rustoleum American Accents Canyon Black spray paint all over ~ 2 coats and quickly moved on to the detailing.
I measured and cut pieces of burlap to fit on the inside walls of the hutch. Next, I hot glued the edges down to form nice seams on all sides (my hot glue gun is my best friend seeing as I do not know how to sew ~ she gets’er done!!!!
When the burlap was ready, I sprayed Elmer’s Spray Adhesive on the inside corner of the hutch and used a ruler to smooth the center of the burlap all the way down the corner.
I then pulled the burlap tight to the edges and placed several small tacks behind the outer edges.
Next, I pushed the pegs through the burlap into the holes…
and placed the newly painted shelves back in their spots.
Now she’s starting to come around…
I continued the same steps all the way up to the top.
Now for the impact detailing!
I used my 3M sanding block to distress all of the edges and corners…
and hot glued 4ply jute twine on the bottom edges of each shelf to give a more finished touch to the burlap!
One final important piece!
I cut down a piece of molding to fit the top of the hutch…
gave it a good spray down with our fav Canyon Black…
turned the hutch on her belly and attached the molding to the front using Gorilla Glue Epoxy!
Next, I attached the cabinet doors and finished her off with a cute set of knobs that I purchased at Hobby Lobby!
What was once this….
Is now a chic piece of furniture that I can display in any part of our home!
I’ll leave her in the gameroom for now but who knows….she may make it around the house a few times! I’m so happy with my new corner hutch and it has given me just the motivation I need to start decorating our gameroom!!!!