Ashley’s Shanty Thrifty Find

Hi Friends! I HAVE to blog about the thrifty find I made yesterday! I really don’t like the mirrors in our bathrooms but I have been patient in changing them out because I wanted to replace them with framed mirrors (for a more custom look) and that can be costly! Well, I said it CAN be costly but as I found out yesterday my patience paid off BIG! I went to Lowe’s to buy some curtain rods when I stumbled upon a rack full of Mirr-Edge mirror trim in several different colors. I stared at the Cherry Walnut for a while and wasn’t sure how it would look but I couldn’t leave the store without it so I bought just enough for the boys bathroom upstairs.

These came in sets of two so I bought 2 sets ~ one set for the horizontal trim and one for the vertical trim. I then bought 1 set of 4 corner plates.  They cover the seams and add a nice aesthetic touch.
Whitney just happened to be coming over that afternoon (how convenient for me) so she assisted me in this venture. The trim is 59.5” long, so roughly 5’. The instructions say to measure each piece on the mirror, score and then crisply snap the trim to get the right fit. This did not work (circular saw is so much more efficient – learned how to use one with this project). Measure the vertical strips first and then the horizontal. After you cut them down to size there are double-sided adhesive pads that come with the trim – just peel and stick (we put 4 to 5 on each strip).

Then press the trim on the mirror and Voila!

Once you have all of the trim up it’s time for the corner plates. No cutting here – just peel and stick the double sided, adhesive, strips and fit to each corner!

I just love how custom my boys mirror looks now and it completely transformed their whole bathroom!  Total time invested – 30 minutes! I highly recommend this product to anyone that wants a chic look in minutes!
Okay, so I loved this product so much that I went back to Lowe’s that night to get more trim for my master bathroom.

This line also carries seam plates that cover seams when you need more than 5’ of trim. My master mirror needed about 6 ft. on the horizontal pieces so I bought 1 set of 2 seam plates.
You want the seams in the center of the mirror for aesthetic purposes so I had to buy 1 set of trim for the top and 1 for the bottom and then 1 set for the vertical sides. I measured the horizontal pieces so that they met in the center and followed up with the same steps we used for the boys bathroom. When I was done I added the seam plates to cover the seams in the center with the double sided, adhesive, pads and that was it. I LOVE MY MASTER BATH SO MUCH MORE NOW!   Total time invested – 30 minutes!

I had so much trim left over that I decided to do my half bath also! I will eventually buy a framed mirror for my half bath but for now this is perfect! The only purchase I made for this mirror was the corner plates!

At the end of the day I had customized three bathroom mirrors / which in turn transformed all three bathrooms (in about 1.5 hours) ~ it just doesn’t get any better than that folks! As always ~ Enjoy!
UPDATE:
You can purchase this product in a variety of colors and styles HERE!
You can also purchase at HOME DEPOT online or in store!

1. rdnkhny on March 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love this idea. I have a question – how did you work around the "mirror clips" that hold the mirror to the wall? Thanks

2. The Esplin's on December 8, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I love this idea! I have a couple of mirrors that could use this treatment. Thanks for being so fabulous!

3. Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic on October 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm

This looks so great! I'm happy I found your blog, all your projects are adorable! I wonder why they never talk about these great things on HGTV! I'm always excited about trying to get molding for the house to do a cheap frame for mirrors but THIS is way more affordable!

4. Hollye on September 28, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I've been wanting to do this for our bathroom. I wanted to replace the mirror, but my husband said HECK NO! He was not going mess with taking that monster mirror off the wall. He's fairly certain the lazy contractor that installed it just glued it up there and he said it will rip the sheetrock. We are in the middle of a bathroom redo, so I am doing to be linking my husband to this blog post! I think even he will agree that this is perfect for what I want!

5. funkymom on September 18, 2009 at 4:00 am

Thank you for this product find! I saw your post at thriftydecorchick and went right out and bought Mirr-Edge. OF course it took a week or two to get the project done but I love it!
    You can see it here http://alittlebitofus-funkymom.blogspot.com/2009/09/love-my-new-mirror.html

Thanks again!

6. { L } on September 16, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Oh wow! Great job. These turned out beautiful. I am sure its exciting to walk into those rooms now. 🙂

7. 3XMom on September 16, 2009 at 5:52 pm

wow – great find, thanks!

8. Raise Them Up on September 16, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I love it, too! I think Lowes is going to have a rush on mirror trim! Lol!

9. Caroline on September 11, 2009 at 1:32 am

That is such a simple fix but it really transforms the room. Great job!

10. Sabrina @ my little slice of pie on September 10, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Awesome! So in what department did you find this mirr edge trim. I must have! Great job!

11. Living With Lindsay on September 10, 2009 at 3:09 am

These look fantastic! My mom was telling me she saw this product a few weeks ago at HD. I definitely need to check it out!

12. common ground on September 9, 2009 at 4:57 am

Amazing! I didn't know they made this product. Now I'm wanting to try this on mine. Thanks for sharing… this is great!
    Debra

13. The Salisburys on September 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Thank you for the nice comment on my blog! I love seeing people who can decorate on a budget! These mirror trims are fantastic! I'm gonna have to check it out at my local hardware!

Blessings!

14. AnneYarbs79 on September 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Talk about bang for your buck! They all look awesome!

15. Flower Patch Farmgirl on September 8, 2009 at 4:27 pm

No way! I had no idea such a thing existed. Makes such a difference. Hope those boys know they'd best not be spitting toothpaste on that lovely frame. 🙂

16. Jen R. on September 8, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I love that idea! What a huge difference it makes! I wish I had known about that before I took my door mirror down! Thanks so much for joining in on the party! jen

17. Kimmy on September 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Absolutely love it! I have mirrors like that in my house and this would be a great solution. Thanks for the inspiration!

18. Create in me a clean heart O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 on September 8, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I had no idea that you could buy precut pieces for the mirror – I want to do the same thing but thought I'd have to make it myself. {{off to Lowes to find my own set!}}

19. Create in me a clean heart O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 on September 8, 2009 at 1:49 pm

20. Goodwill Haunting on September 8, 2009 at 7:35 am

Wow! I am so jazzed about this post … I am so totally going to get this for my 3 bathrooms! What a difference! Thanks for sharing! Great post!

21. somedaycrafts on September 8, 2009 at 6:33 am

Oh much better! ANd so beautiful!

22. Stephanie on September 8, 2009 at 5:55 am

oh wow! i need to go to lowe's! love it!

23. Merrie on September 8, 2009 at 2:03 am

Oh, my gosh I have been wanting to frame the mirror in my Master bathroom for so long and I didnt know this stuff existed. Woohoo, we have a Lowes and this is payday week.

Thank you, thank you for sharing this.

Your bathrooms look wonderful!

24. Gina on September 8, 2009 at 1:08 am

Very very good idea! I love the ZEBRA towels in the background. can I have them? lol!

25. nannykim on September 8, 2009 at 12:35 am

That is amazing!! Just amazing..what a great transformation!!

my post is here:http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/2009/09/transforming-for-fall.html

26. Julie on September 8, 2009 at 12:23 am

What a great look…. I love the way it all turned out.
    xoxo
    Julie

27. Lolly on September 7, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Girls, I am so impressed. I didn't even know something like this existed. Looks great.

28. Lori on September 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm

How did you fit it around those annoying little plastic mirror clips? I love the way yours turned out!!

29. inner_child on September 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm

What a transformation! I, too, have been holding out for framed mirrors for my bathrooms. That score and snap thing rarely works out for me either. I think you have to have more upper body strength, like the men who designed the product,lol!
    Paula ~ Mise en scène

30. Wsprsweetly Of Cottages on September 7, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Black! My favorite new color! 🙂 Just beautiful! I need to come here more often!!! 🙂

31. Anna See on September 7, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Wow! I just paid $20 for samples from MirrorMate frames. The frame itself will cost about $200, which I thought was a good deal until I saw this. Now I'm thinking Mirr Edge is the way to go!

32. Helen Joy on September 7, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Oh my goodness! You've just saved me hours of fighting with my husband:-) I've been trying to convince him to let me take down our ugly new home mirrors for ages but it stresses him out! I'm totally going to do this! Thanks so much!

33. Jane (Frugal Fine Living) on September 7, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Fabulous! I wish I had done this in our last house. I hated those builder-cheapo mirrors we had there.

Jane

34. L.Duncan on September 7, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Great find! It is a lot cheaper than mirror mate.com!

35. Tricia Anne on September 7, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Great job! :o)

36. Alicia on September 7, 2009 at 2:17 pm

You have just changed my life!!!

37. Crafty Niche on September 7, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Wow, that's awesome! I need to do my bathroom mirrors, I'm going to check this out!

38. Denise on September 7, 2009 at 12:35 pm

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for for my plain ole mirrors too. I thought I would have to buy trim and stain it and use a nail gun etc :-/ so I have put off. I will definitely look in Lowes today or Home Depot, both are close to me. Thanks for a great idea, and showing how easy it is. Your mirrors look amazing. 🙂

39. ImagineCozy on September 7, 2009 at 12:31 pm

That really did make such a difference! I think I will have to keep my eyes open for some trim!
    -Angela

40. Alyssa Barnett on September 7, 2009 at 6:23 am

we're looking to do the same in our two baths – thanks for the great idea! I'll be headed to Home Depot tomorrow morning!

41. Sharlotte on September 7, 2009 at 4:27 am

I did this in my master bath with real trim. I stained the wood and had to cut it to fit. We then glued it to the mirror with liquid nails. My husband is a real trooper!

I love this find! This is so much easier! I love the corner pieces. I have a couple of mirrors left, I think I feel a project coming on!

42. The DIY Show Off on September 7, 2009 at 4:24 am

Great job! 🙂

Roeshel

43. ONE MANS TRASH IS MY TREASURE on September 7, 2009 at 4:18 am

WOW! great look for such a good price! hmm you just gave me some ideas…thanks for the inspiration!

44. southerninspiration on September 7, 2009 at 3:33 am

Oh that does make such a difference!! Great find, and great job!

Suzanne

45. Michelle@Sweet Something on September 7, 2009 at 3:30 am

Much better!! Great job!

46. Shirley on September 7, 2009 at 3:00 am

I love this idea!! I didn't even know there was such a thing. I can't do it in mine but my daughter-in-law and son has a mirror like that. Hmmmmm

47. Alicia on September 7, 2009 at 2:42 am

Looks great, and pretty easy. They make a big different in your bathrooms definitely. When you showed the first picture of your boys bathroom and said to myself, "I bet she ran out and bought more"…lol. And sure enough, you did.

48. Shauna on September 7, 2009 at 2:35 am

This looks so good! I want to do mine now!

49. Michelle on September 7, 2009 at 12:40 am

I found this same product when I was working on our remddel and thought how handy it would be.

Your mirrors looks wonderful!

50. MaRiN on September 7, 2009 at 12:39 am

I'm totally going to Lowe's tonight!!! I am moving into a new home that has boring mirrors and this stuff will save me so much money! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

51. Sue on September 7, 2009 at 12:25 am

Your thrifty transformation resulted in a custom, expensive look for your mirrors. What a great re-do!

52. Pearl Maple on September 7, 2009 at 12:24 am

How cool, and best of all I like that you show how we gals can do these things for ourselves. Thanks for sharing the inspiration with us all.

53. K on September 7, 2009 at 12:15 am

That just looks awesome! Something to totally be proud of.

I rent, and I have been thinking about doing that to my mirrors. Wonder if they would mind… perhaps I will ask 🙂

54. Lee Laurie on September 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Great idea! I will have to remember this one when I get ready to re-do my guest bathroom!

55. Glenda/MidSouth on September 6, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Looks great. I have wanted to do that in my bathrooms also – just another thing on the list. 🙂

56. Clean and Classic Interiors on September 6, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I had never even heard of mirr edge before?! What a great project and that price was amazing!! We bought mirrors at Hobby Lobby when they were half off but nothing like that price! Thanks for the great tip!

57. Lisa@Pickles and Cheese on September 6, 2009 at 11:59 am

This looks so great! I was thinking the only way to do this was with a mitre box and saw. I didn't know this existed! Thanks for showing us how easy it was for you. Looks so great!

58. Marsha on September 6, 2009 at 2:55 am

Oh, this is so amazing. I have wanted to frame my bath mirrors forever, but just didn't want to tackle it. How about this! I'll be checking into this, girl! Thanks!

59. Infarrantly Creative on September 6, 2009 at 1:57 am

Holy heck I love those. I am going to check out my Lowe's I have been wanting to do that to ours also. Fantastic.

60. Nori on September 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Yum! That really does spruce up the mirrors. I'm renting right now and have mirrors like that. This is something I can totally do to make it look better. Thanks so much for sharing!

61. Sachiko on September 5, 2009 at 10:27 pm

What a great tutorial! I want to do that for my bathrooms too! Well, maybe after I am done with other projects… Thank you for sharing!

62. Tales From My Empty Nest on September 5, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Your mirrors look amazing!! I had seen that done on another blog, but with real wood molding that had to be cut and painted. This is so much easier and it looks beautiful. I will have to head over to Lowe's and check it out. Thanks for sharing!! Love & blessings from NC!

63. KirkKrew on September 5, 2009 at 5:23 pm

That looks SO good! I'm going to do that for my bathrooms too!!! Thanks for the tip! 🙂