Whitney’s Antique Window Find

My next makeover started down the street from my house. They are tearing down another house full of character, actually 3 houses, to build one ginormous one. While nothing was salvaged on any of these homes, I did manage to get my hands on a beautiful part of the last one before it was torn down. I noticed they had started the tear down so I called my stepdad to have him do me a little favor… I do this a lot! I asked him to go ask the demo crew if we could have one of the awesome harlequin windows from the front of the house. He told him to take whatever he wanted so he brought me home 2 of the windows… woohoo Bapa… You’re the BOMB! Each window is about 2ft x 6ft and they are solid wood… gorgeous!
So… of course Ashley’s house needed one of these babies! Both of us sanded the paint edge down a bit and then painted the whole window with a coat of cream paint… Mine was Antique Homestead Lace by Valspar and she used Cozy Cottage by Behr .

Now we needed a place to put them…. I decided to hang mine on a tall blank wall next to our recliner in the living room.

Ashley propped hers behind her curly willow in her living room… Aren’t they too cute?! I do find it a shame that nothing was saved from any of these awesome homes but I am so excited that we were able to get a small piece of them. I will be sharing these treasures over on Trash to Treasure at Reinvented…
I will also be adding this to Hooked on Fridays at Hooked on Homes… Check it guys!!

1. CINNIBONBON on September 27, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Are you kidding me? You rock– this is so cool!!!

2. Fifi Flowers on September 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Lovely redo… looks great!!!

3. DesignTies on September 25, 2009 at 4:53 am

Both your rescued windows look great 🙂 It's such a shame when old houses are torn down and things like these windows get tossed. New houses just don't have the same craftsmanship and character.

Kelly

4. Claudia@DipityRoad on September 25, 2009 at 4:23 am

VEry cool piece.

I am lovin your blog… going to have to post fast so i can run back and read a bit closer.

If you have a moment, stop by and say hi! I would love to have you.

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

5. Jenny Kerr on September 25, 2009 at 2:52 am

That came out so pretty! I love antique windows. That was one of the main reasons we bought our home, it still has all the original 100 year old windows (except the one we switched out ourselves).

6. { L } on September 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I have been wanting to find something like this! This is beautiful. Excellent find.

7. Coleman Family on September 23, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Love the window! What a score! I went to Home Depot today to find the Smokey Ralph Lauren glaze and they had no idea what I was talking about. Is that the whole name of the color? They found one called Smoked Glass, but that didn't sound right! If you could help me out I'd appreciate it!
    carrie.n.coleman@gmail.com
    -Carrie

8. Leen on September 23, 2009 at 7:26 pm

So beautiful and I love the way you both displayed them.
    Just found your blog and I am sure I will be back 🙂

9. JTC on September 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I absolutely love your blog and get so much inspiration from you. I have a question regarding Polycrylic which you stated you do two coats of for wear and tear pieces – do you sand between coats? I am hoping you say no:)

10. Launa on September 23, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I have two windows hanging in my room and I have put photos behind the glass, love them! I picked them up for $5 each at a salvage yard that keeps all that stuff from those great housed that get torn down! So FUN!!

11. Kari @ Ucreate on September 23, 2009 at 4:05 pm

K, I want one of these windows for my new house!! Love your style!

12. Flower Patch Farmgirl on September 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm

What a find! It really is heartbreaking to think of all the good stuff that ended up in the dumpster. Good for you for saving these guys!

13. Linda@Coastal Charm on September 23, 2009 at 4:45 am

WOW…what a great find! I LUV how the two of you used these little babies! Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Linda

14. Tammy on September 23, 2009 at 4:21 am

So beautiful! I'm loving all the cream colors. I adore your decoration styles. Wait until you see what I've done with your inspiration! I've already started.

15. Lee Laurie on September 23, 2009 at 2:39 am

These are gorgeous! I think they would look good hanging from white chains from the ceiling too.

16. Nancy on September 23, 2009 at 1:14 am

Those are just too cool! I hate that old homes are torn down and nothing salvaged. SO glad you girls at least got these windows. I like what you did with each of yours.

Nancy

17. Lindsey @ Better After on September 22, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Just love this! Looks great. I featured you on my blog (again) today! You girls rock! 🙂

18. Room to Inspire on September 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Great find! Love old windows…

Chelsea

19. Condo Blues on September 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I love old window projects. I have an old window that I painted and plan on hanging in front of my kitchen window as a window window treatment.

20. Cara on September 22, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Love it! I am also in love with those style of windows, not just to find one….

Blessings,
    Cara

21. Pat & Ron Harris on September 22, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I love the windows and how yu displayed them! Way cool…

22. Pat & Ron Harris on September 22, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I love the windows and how yu displayed them! Way cool…

23. Wendy on September 22, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Those are really pretty! Yet another one of the many things I hope to get my hands on one day.

24. Michelle on September 22, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I am in love with it as the back drop for the curly willow!!

25. a little bit vintage on September 22, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Love, love, love them!! I have an obsession will old windows. 🙂

Smiles,
    Rachel

26. Kimm at Reinvented on September 22, 2009 at 8:15 pm

So cool! Love your windows. I've been wondering whether to pain mine. I love how they look on the wall!

27. Embellished Bayou on September 22, 2009 at 8:14 pm

What a find! They both look great, where do you gals find the time to be so fabulous?!?

28. Gail on September 22, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Oh WOW! I'm in love with those windows. Great way to display them. You two are just amazing as to what you come up with. I just love it when I see something new posted.

Gail

29. Morning T on September 22, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Looks great you guys! Love it with the sticks sitting in front.

30. Lou Cinda on September 22, 2009 at 7:36 pm

LOVE these!! So beautiful!! Glad you "saved" them!

Lou Cinda

31. Tammy@InStitches on September 22, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Score ! I gave your blog an award, stop by my blog to check it out.

32. duchess on September 22, 2009 at 7:07 pm

So pretty & have a history – great combo.

33. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle on September 22, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I love your blog. So much in fact that I made you the recipient of an award today. Hope you'll stop by and pick it up.

34. la on September 22, 2009 at 6:59 pm

i am OBSESSED with this type of window! there are a lot of old homes in my area with them – but sadly, not mine. i'm so glad y'all were able to salvage these and give them new life 🙂