Whitney’s Antique Window Find

My next makeover started down the street from my house. They are tearing down another house full of character, actually 3 houses, to build one ginormous one. While nothing was salvaged on any of these homes, I did manage to get my hands on a beautiful part of the last one before it was torn down. I noticed they had started the tear down so I called my stepdad to have him do me a little favor… I do this a lot! I asked him to go ask the demo crew if we could have one of the awesome harlequin windows from the front of the house. He told him to take whatever he wanted so he brought me home 2 of the windows… woohoo Bapa… You’re the BOMB! Each window is about 2ft x 6ft and they are solid wood… gorgeous!
So… of course Ashley’s house needed one of these babies! Both of us sanded the paint edge down a bit and then painted the whole window with a coat of cream paint… Mine was Antique Homestead Lace by Valspar and she used Cozy Cottage by Behr .

Now we needed a place to put them…. I decided to hang mine on a tall blank wall next to our recliner in the living room.

Ashley propped hers behind her curly willow in her living room… Aren’t they too cute?! I do find it a shame that nothing was saved from any of these awesome homes but I am so excited that we were able to get a small piece of them. I will be sharing these treasures over on Trash to Treasure at Reinvented…
I will also be adding this to Hooked on Fridays at Hooked on Homes… Check it guys!!

1. CINNIBONBON on September 27, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Are you kidding me? You rock– this is so cool!!!

2. Fifi Flowers on September 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Lovely redo… looks great!!!

3. DesignTies on September 25, 2009 at 4:53 am

Both your rescued windows look great 🙂 It's such a shame when old houses are torn down and things like these windows get tossed. New houses just don't have the same craftsmanship and character.

Kelly

4. [email protected] on September 25, 2009 at 4:23 am

VEry cool piece.

I am lovin your blog… going to have to post fast so i can run back and read a bit closer.

If you have a moment, stop by and say hi! I would love to have you.

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

5. Jenny Kerr on September 25, 2009 at 2:52 am

That came out so pretty! I love antique windows. That was one of the main reasons we bought our home, it still has all the original 100 year old windows (except the one we switched out ourselves).

6. { L } on September 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I have been wanting to find something like this! This is beautiful. Excellent find.

7. Coleman Family on September 23, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Love the window! What a score! I went to Home Depot today to find the Smokey Ralph Lauren glaze and they had no idea what I was talking about. Is that the whole name of the color? They found one called Smoked Glass, but that didn't sound right! If you could help me out I'd appreciate it!
    [email protected]
    -Carrie

8. Leen on September 23, 2009 at 7:26 pm

So beautiful and I love the way you both displayed them.
    Just found your blog and I am sure I will be back 🙂

9. JTC on September 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I absolutely love your blog and get so much inspiration from you. I have a question regarding Polycrylic which you stated you do two coats of for wear and tear pieces – do you sand between coats? I am hoping you say no:)

10. Launa on September 23, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I have two windows hanging in my room and I have put photos behind the glass, love them! I picked them up for $5 each at a salvage yard that keeps all that stuff from those great housed that get torn down! So FUN!!

11. Kari @ Ucreate on September 23, 2009 at 4:05 pm

K, I want one of these windows for my new house!! Love your style!

12. Flower Patch Farmgirl on September 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm

What a find! It really is heartbreaking to think of all the good stuff that ended up in the dumpster. Good for you for saving these guys!

13. [email protected] Charm on September 23, 2009 at 4:45 am

WOW…what a great find! I LUV how the two of you used these little babies! Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Linda

14. Tammy on September 23, 2009 at 4:21 am

So beautiful! I'm loving all the cream colors. I adore your decoration styles. Wait until you see what I've done with your inspiration! I've already started.