Whitney’s Burlap Photo Art

Hey girls… sorry for the long hiatus but I had to make a little trip this weekend. Where to?? Round Top, Texas for the huge flea market!! I found so many shantys to share but I can’t give all the goodness away in one blog! I will be sharing these over the next several weeks as I revamp… don’t worry! I am excited to share a project with you that I finished up last week though… A friend of ours gave me this cowboy sign for my son’s room a few years back… Thanks Laurels!! I have since changed his room so it was time for some sprucing up. I decided to make some photo art with it… Here’s what I did…

Your first step will be to paint your bulldog clips. I love these! I found mine at Staple’s for $2.50 a piece… I am sure they can be found cheaper. I use my Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint on mine. I also spray painted the tops of 4 wood screws and 4 washers as well that will be used to secure the clips.
This is a solid wood piece but you can also use a large frame or just a large piece of unfinished wood from your hardware store. Your first step will be to attach your burlap. I used hot glue to attach mine starting at a corner and then pulling tight all the way around. If you are using unfinished wood or the mat from a frame, just wrap the burlap to the back and hot glue it down.

Next, I used jute twine to cover my rough edges. Just take your hot glue and run a small line down an edge to attach the twine. Once I made it around twice, I tied a small knot at the top corner.

My next step was to stencil my numbers. I measured out where I would be putting my clips and drew a small dot to mark it. I then used my Cricut machine to cut my stencils… You can use premade number stencils too. Using a stenciling brush I lined up each number and used Americana Ebony acrylic paint to stencil my number on. Go up and down with your brush… not side to side.

After letting that dry, I used my drill to attach the clips to the wood. For those of you ladies that don’t have your own drill… It is time to go get one or ask the hubby for one for Christmas! This tool is obviously a must.

My last step was to add some black and whites I had developed of the kiddos. I used Walmart to develop my 5×7’s and they were under $1 a piece. Just clip them to your clips and you are finished. This is an inexpensive and fun way to display pictures, art, notes or really anything. I guess this is also your formal introduction to my three kids…. Thanks so much for coming by!

1. Polly on October 19, 2009 at 12:54 pm

This is a fabulous project!!! Looks awesome! Quick question….when you use your cricut to cut out the stencils, what kind of paper do you use? Thanks!
    Polly

P.S. I am soooooo adding you girls to my blog list!!! You are so very creative and talented!

2. Emily on October 9, 2009 at 7:55 am

LOVE IT! Can't wait to finish our family so I can make one too!!! Thanks!

3. Sarah on October 1, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I always love finding creative ways to display photos, and I LOVE this idea!! I am feeling inspired! Thanks for sharing this!

And by the way…I have been reading your blog for just a little while now, and I enjoy it so much! I have a link to your page on my blog. 🙂

4. MaRiN on September 30, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I am loving the burlap craze right now! Seriosly, how cute, even with the numbers! Love it, thanks for the idea!

5. Rebecca D. on September 30, 2009 at 2:30 pm

lookin good! Can't wait to see what else you picked up!!! I love all your stuff!

6. Beth Peele on September 30, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I absolutely adore this project. I think I will make it for my sister since I don't have any cute kids to put in it.

7. do it yourselfer on September 29, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Girl! this is so awesome! i'm totally going to copy cat YOU! love this idea!

8. The DIY Show Off on September 29, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Super cute! Love it!

Roeshel

9. KellyH on September 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm

You rock! This is great too!

10. julie on September 29, 2009 at 1:41 pm

love this! i will be copying this! i just became a follower! i cant wait to look back at all your awesome posts and start creating! thanks!

11. rtgaffney on September 29, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I love it!! You are super creative. I agree about the drill. It is my new favorite tool. I always love your ideas–keep them coming!

12. santamaker on September 29, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Love it! The burlap, the twine , the cute stencilled numbers and clips and then to top it off your gorgeous kids!

13. anhesty on September 29, 2009 at 12:37 pm

wowsers this is a great DIY whitney! glad i found your blog! come and stop by mine as well. following you now 😀

14. Mandy on September 29, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I thought the cowboy sign was cute, but this is VERY cute! Great re-do!

15. Julia on September 29, 2009 at 3:21 am

I really like that idea. It's very rustic yet pretty.

16. Jennifer Juniper on September 29, 2009 at 2:08 am

I love it! I just used burlap to make some curtains…boy is it messy to work with! But I do love the look 🙂

17. Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage on September 29, 2009 at 2:07 am

oooooh, LUV IT! (said in a sing song voice) 🙂

18. Susie from Bienvenue on September 29, 2009 at 12:56 am

Now that is cute!!! Sorry we didnt run into one another. Maybe in the spring!

19. Gail on September 28, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Love the burlap photo art. Another creative project of the Shanty2Chic ladies….you two incredible.

Blessings,
    Gail

20. Cherry's Jubilee on September 28, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Cute! I adore burlap. cherry

21. CINNIBONBON on September 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Ok so this is rremarkable! I think I've fallen in love with all your posted redo's . If you all aren't careful all of bloglandia will have houses decorated just like yours!!! What a compliment to your gals style that would be for sure. Again, thanks for sharing.

22. Cindy Harvey on September 28, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Original and beautiful! love love love it :o)

23. Carrie on September 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm

That's so cute! I love the number's that are goin' on everywhere!

24. Nancy on September 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Very cool idea! You girls are awesome. Your blog is my fave for inspiration. Thanks!!

Nancy

25. Aja on September 28, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Love this idea! Your kiddos are adorable!

Aja

26. Leanne on September 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

It looks so great. Love the burlap! I'm having a gieaway later this week. Stop by for a chance to win a cute bag/purse if you get the chance.

27. CourtneyKeb on September 28, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I'm loving this!!

28. Tammy@InStitches on September 28, 2009 at 11:39 am

It looks so good. Burlap is the one fabric I don't have lying around !!

29. Marsha on September 28, 2009 at 11:14 am

Oh! this is one of my favorite projects of yours!! Way too cool!!!

30. Barb on September 28, 2009 at 7:28 am

very cute idea!!
    thanks

barbara jean

31. Tamera on September 28, 2009 at 4:14 am

Another great idea! I am in the process of making my own burlap framed centerpiece and will post about it when it's done! Keep the ideas coming:)

32. Kari @ Ucreate on September 28, 2009 at 4:12 am

Sooooo cool!

33. Diann on September 28, 2009 at 4:03 am

That is really cute. Great job on putting this together!

34. a little bit vintage on September 28, 2009 at 3:40 am

I LOVE this Whitney!! I have an old sign that I was thinking of doing something similar to…although seeing yours may make me take a different avenue! You've inspired me to get off my tush and do it! LOL! 🙂

Smiles,
    Rachel

35. Vintage Junky on September 28, 2009 at 3:36 am

So cute! What a great idea!

SMiles!
    Michelle

36. Room to Inspire on September 28, 2009 at 3:27 am

Great way to reuse something you already had! Very fun. I love those bulldog clips 🙂

Chelsea

37. Wendy on September 28, 2009 at 3:20 am

I love this!

38. Sarah on September 28, 2009 at 3:03 am

Great job and clever project. I enjoy following along with all your creative posts. Thanks for sharing. I'm heading to Round Top on Tuesday for Marburger. Do you girls live in TX? ~ Sarah

39. Twice Remembered on September 28, 2009 at 2:30 am

You did such a beautiful job with this, Whitney! The numbers are a very nice touch and look great on the burlap. I'm going to HAVE to get myself a cricut machine one of these days because stencil making would be SO much easier!

40. Stef on September 28, 2009 at 2:14 am

Hey Ladies! Thanks for your sweet comments on some of my projects over at http://doingflips.blogspot.com. I've started a blog dedicated only to home stuff at http://frugalhomeideas.blogspot.com.

I LOVE your blog!! I just keep looking and looking through all your posts. You girls are so talented, and I'm going to be trying some of your ideas soon!

I can't believe you were in Round Top TX (is it still population 71?) My husband went to a music festival there in the summer for a few years. I didn't think anyone had ever heard of that place!

Hope to see you over at my new blog (once I get posts up, that is)