Whitney’s Highboy Turned Hutch!

Yeah for more hand-me-downs!!! This weekend I hit the jackpot over at my father-in-law’s storage building. I went for one piece and came back with about 6! Woohoo! I will get to the rest later but I decided to start with my favorite piece first. He had this shanty highboy dresser he wasn’t using anymore. I love so much about it… the lines, the legs and the detail up top… so cute! We loaded it up and I was able to look more closely at it when I got it home. 1 of the 8 drawers was still on it’s rails and working properly…. That got me thinking. I decided to turn this chest of drawers into a hutch. This is how I did it….

I first started by taking out all of the drawers. I then removed the back board which is usually stapled so it’s super easy to take off. That left me with wooden bars across the front that had to go. Now, not all of us are lucky enough to own a power saw(yet!) so, I just used my $12 hand saw from Lowe’s. It did the trick just fine. As I was cutting these bars I was saving any extra screws I found to use for building my shelf.

After finishing the demo it was time to revamp. The edges were a bit rough from the saw so I decided to add some decorative trim to cover them up rather than sanding them. I did this by cutting it to size, adding a few dabs of gorilla glue and hammering them in place with a few finishing nails… again, super easy. Now on to the cabinet… I used some of the wood I pulled off the original piece to build the rails for my shelf. I measured 16” from the ground up on each side and used some of my old wood screws to attach each piece. I then used a piece of wood I purchased at Lowe’s… It was ¾”x16” x48”… Just make sure you get one large enough that you can cut down to size. I started by measuring the back opening width of the hutch. I cut my wood down to this and then placed it on top of the rails I made. I marked off the excess wood from the back and used my handsaw to take it off.

The bottom was pretty simple… I fixed the 2 broken drawers with some gorilla glue and then used wood putty fill my hardware holes. I knew I would be using single knobs on this baby. After caulking a few lines and holes and a bit of sanding I was ready to paint. I love my Olympic Blue Willow satin paint. As Ashley would say… The color makes me smile! I put two coats on the whole piece. After letting that dry a couple of hours I used my sanding block with 80 grit paper and roughed up my edges and corners. I sanded the corners really hard to expose the raw wood. I then used Minwax Dark Walnut stain to darken up my sanded areas. Just use a foam brush and apply a very thin amount to your edges and then wipe off the excess. It does tint the paint around it a bit too but I love that look! I debated glazing this one but did decide to add a bit to it. I wiped off most of the glaze I put on but I love how it just makes it look a few decades older! It was time to put the back on which is one of my favorite parts of this redo. I saw Layla from the Lettered Cottage line her hutch with old feed sacks here… http://www.theletteredcottage.net/2009/07/headboard-bench.html …I loved it and was inspired to go that direction with mine… although I found it much easier to run up to Hobby Lobby and buy 3 yards of burlap rather than searching for cute, old feed sacks… I am never lucky enough to find goodies like that anyway! I used my staple gun to gather and attach the top of the burlap first. There is no measuring it here… just eyeball it. I finished the top and then pulled it tightly and attached it to the bottom and I was done… Love it!

My final step was adding my hardware. I found these great knobs at Hobby Lobby for $1.99 a piece and they did the trick! All that is left for me to do now is decorate her… this will be done after I sit and stare at it for a bit. When I do get that done, you girls will be the first to know! I will be sharing this project at Kimba’s DIY day over at A Soft Place to Land and at Transformation Thursday with Gina at the Shabby Chic Cottage http://www.theshabbychiccottage.net/2009/09/aging-gracefully.html… Check these parties out… so much fun!!! I will also be posting this at Reinvented for Trash to Treasure Thursday! Go check it out! Great stuff there as well! http://www.reinventedkb.com/2009/09/trash-to-treasure-creative-candle.html
I will also be sharing this project at Met Mondays over at Between Naps on the Porch… Check this party out as well girls!

1. Amber Ayotte on December 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Love this piece! Its beautiful!

2. Linda Skinner on September 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm

U are an atrist! lovely piece, u did a great job on this and u’ve inspired me to do a simular project with a cabinet that my dad made years ago. THANKS for the inspiration!!!!!!

3. Funky Junk Interiors on October 24, 2009 at 6:58 pm

That is some makeover! What a wonderful piece! Guess I'll have to snoop around to find out what you finally did with it in your home.

The burlap idea is so cool. And I'm with you. Cannot for the life of me 'find' even 1" x 1". Off to regular retail I go… pout.

Donna

4. Miss Mustard Seed on October 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm

You girl's are ridiculous. I actually remember seeing this weeks ago when I first started blogging on one of Kimba's DIY days. I really liked the giveaway that day and submitted something I was really proud of. Then I saw your link and I thought, "oh crap…these girls are going to win." I can't believe you didn't! Well done.

5. Mary Ellen (megardengal) on October 24, 2009 at 5:29 am

You just keep coming up with better and better projects!!! I love this idea! What a beautiful transformation!

6. Katie @ Vinyl Vineyard on September 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I'm new to your blog, and love it! Can you tell me the brand and name of the glaze you use? I tried looking for it, and haven't had any luck.

katiehochhalter@yahoo.com
    Thanks!
    Katie

7. Jeannine on September 15, 2009 at 2:11 am

Love, love, love the re-do/repurpose. And thank you for the detailed instructions. I'm just starting a dining table with 6 chairs. Good to have inspiration.

8. Kim @ Starshine Chic on September 14, 2009 at 11:48 pm

It's gorgeous & I'm in love!!!

9. Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst on September 14, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Can't wait to see it accessorized! Looks a little lonely right now, but I'm sure you'll work some magic with it!

10. Shelia on September 14, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Oh, it's gorgeous! How creative of you and I love the soft blue color.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

11. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) on September 14, 2009 at 7:23 pm

What a gorgeous transformation. I was so afraid when I first read what you were going to do because I have coveted one of these chests for years. You did a fabulous job. I love it just as much as a hutch as a dresser. Hugs, Marty

12. Frippery on September 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm

This is a seriously wonderful make over. Wow! 😉 Pam

13. Fifi Flowers on September 14, 2009 at 3:55 am

Très FAB!!! GREAT redo!!!

14. Sarah on September 14, 2009 at 3:07 am

I love this piece! Your idea of the burlap backing is so clever! You did a great job transforming this piece. Love the color and the distressed detail. Can't wait to see what else you found in the storage and what changes you will make. ~ Sarah

15. Marsha's Mpressions on September 14, 2009 at 2:54 am

Can't tell you how much I LOVE this!!! you had such creative vision to think to do this and then executed it superbly!!!

16. black eyed susans kitchen on September 14, 2009 at 2:15 am

That is an amazing transformation! I especially like the combination of the distressed white paint with the burlap.The fact that this was done on such a formal piece of furniture makes it down right whimsical. Great!

17. JobandBrittany on September 14, 2009 at 1:55 am

this is an incredible make-over!!!

18. The DIY Show Off on September 14, 2009 at 1:22 am

Whitney – great job (as usual). I LOVE the transformation. It's gorgeous!

Roeshel

19. Jane on September 14, 2009 at 12:43 am

What an incredible transformation. I love the color and the burlap backing was an unexpected detail that really added to the piece. Love it!

20. Julie on September 13, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Wow how cute….Great job…I am having a new give a-way do hope you stop over…
    xoxo
    Julie

21. Lynda on September 13, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Fantastic transformation! Beautiful!

22. Jenglamgirl on September 13, 2009 at 7:52 pm

"WOW" i lurrrrrve IT!

23. Jill on September 11, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Love, love, looooooooove!
    -Jill @ Barnes Yard

24. Becky on September 11, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Very clever! And it turned out so great. Love it!

25. The Salisburys on September 11, 2009 at 3:57 am

OH MY WORD!! I LOVE THIS! You gals are really talented!:) Thanks for the comment on my blog. So glad you stopped by so I could see this fabulous blog you have! Blessings!
    Carla@salisburysnapshots.blogspot.com

26. Kim @ NewlyWoodwards on September 11, 2009 at 3:09 am

WOW! I love the color you chose and the textured background. Very pretty!

27. Annette on September 11, 2009 at 12:05 am

This redo is amazing. The hutch looks wonderful! I always look forward to seeing your next project.

28. Jen on September 10, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Seriously this is the best transformation I have ever seen! I'm in love with the color, the distressing is just perfect! I'm picking my jaw up off the floor this is so inspiring.

Thank You for sharing!

29. Kate @ The Gaines Gang on September 10, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Wow! This rocks! What a great idea to reuse/restyle this piece. Thanks for sharing!

30. MandyMoo on September 10, 2009 at 7:00 pm

AWESOME revamp! Very inspiring!

31. Cara on September 10, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Beautiful, where did you end up putting it??

Blessings,
    Cara

32. Maman Tattoo on September 10, 2009 at 6:20 pm

It is gorgeous!!
    Love the color!

33. J and Company on September 10, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I never would have thought to transform it like that. Fabulous!

34. Sachiko on September 10, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Oh, my, gosh!!! I love this hutch!! I wanted something like this for a long time. Fabulous!

35. Sarah on September 10, 2009 at 3:06 pm

no WAY that is the same hutch. incredible transformation! (i popped over from Kimba's DIY day, and so glad i did!)

36. Crafty Niche on September 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm

That looks absolutely fabulous!

37. Blanca on September 10, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Amazing I love this piece and the color is gorgeous.

38. Tricia Anne on September 10, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Oh my goodness! That is fabulous!

39. Kara@ Creations by Kara on September 10, 2009 at 1:28 pm

That is just gorgeous!!! Love how you took out the drawers and replaced them with burlap. The whole thing is just perfect!

40. Whitney on September 10, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Gorgeous re-do!

41. Gina @ MoneywiseMoms on September 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I love the blue with the burlap. What a great transformation! I'm here from DIY Day–thanks for sharing.

42. Jennifer Juniper on September 10, 2009 at 11:08 am

Can you imagine finding this in a shop? You'd squeal and have to buy it and look, you made it yourself!

43. Better After on September 10, 2009 at 5:48 am

Wowzers. That is amazing! You girls need to stop hogging all the talent and creativity and pass some around to me!! 😉

44. Michelle, Queen of Everything on September 10, 2009 at 5:20 am

Wow, amazing! I would never think of taking the drawers out or putting burlap on the back…very creative.

45. Stephanie on September 10, 2009 at 3:27 am

it turned out beautiful!

46. Amanda @ Serenity Now on September 10, 2009 at 3:14 am

Gasping! It's beautiful!!! 🙂 I am so in love with burlap right now. Your post makes me want to go dismantle something and bedazzle it with burlap. 😉 Stopping by from Kimba's party. 🙂

47. At Home with the Hill's on September 10, 2009 at 3:10 am

Wow! What talent you have! Really great use of burlap.

48. Caroline@ FOREVER VINTAGE on September 10, 2009 at 2:07 am

Looks great…awesome transformation.

49. Infarrantly Creative on September 10, 2009 at 2:02 am

Oh my you are blowing me away. Love it…love the color. It looks like you feel about Ralph Lauren Smoke glaze how I feel about American Accents Canyon Black Spray Paint. I am going to have to check that stuff out.

50. Blue Creek Home on September 10, 2009 at 1:52 am

How very cute! I love the color you used.
    Great make-over!
    Rhonda

51. Dawn-Hydrangea Home on September 10, 2009 at 1:32 am

Holy cow! That is one gorgeous transformation. I really love that blue with the burlap.

52. Lee Laurie on September 10, 2009 at 1:08 am

I love it! I have one too but I'm even nervous about painting it white! LOL I plan to soon when I have some extra time!

53. Wendy on September 9, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I love that! The color & especially those legs!

54. Tiffany on September 9, 2009 at 11:12 pm

This turned out so great! I would have never thought of this kind of transformation. And to brave it with no power tools – I am inspired to say the least! You have a great eye! I can't wait to see what other treasures you transform…

55. Cindy Harvey on September 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Amazing. Simply amazing. Did I say amazing?

56. redpolkadot on September 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm

WOWwowowOWWOWOWOWowowOWWOWO!!!!!! I have never been so amazed at a transformation before. This is beautiful I want to thank you with all of my heart for sharing this one. You girls ROCK!

57. Aja on September 9, 2009 at 9:56 pm

LOVE this!! Great choice with the burlap and nice distressing. After reading through your blog a bit, I am going to have to find some RL Smoke Glaze asap!! 🙂

58. ~Caro~ on September 9, 2009 at 9:41 pm

WOWZA is all I can say!!! *picking up jaw from the floor*

59. ONE MANS TRASH IS MY TREASURE on September 9, 2009 at 9:34 pm

sooooo darn cute! love what you did with the burlap. very creative! wann aknow something funny? I just picked up a wall clock that has the EXACT chape of your hutch!even down to the little finnial in the center top of it. Too funny! If you want to see it you can check it out at http://trash2mytreasure.blogspot.com/2009/09/fabulous-finds-1.html

60. Lou Cinda on September 9, 2009 at 9:22 pm

This is absolutely FABOULOUS!!!! LOVE IT!! Can't wait to see what all you put in it!!

Lou Cinda

61. Enchantresses Three on September 9, 2009 at 9:18 pm

WOW!!!! Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

62. Ellen on September 9, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Love the hutch!! Found your blog from Thrifty Decor Chick and am so happy I did! Love yall's ideas and style!

63. Stephanie on September 9, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I am loving your blog!!! GREAT JOB!!!

64. a little bit vintage on September 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I'm so loving this!! Great color and love the burlap backing! 🙂

Smiles,