Ashley’s Fall Apothecary

So, Whitney shared with you all her version of the mason jar turned apothecary idea we saw at Michael’s (still cannot for the life of me find what magazine it was in ~ if you have seen it let us know!).  If you missed it here is the link!  Well, she did beat me to it but mine are FINALLY done!  I chose to style mine for Halloween and I made three of them!  I have included a tutorial for all of you ~ these are super easy, versatile and afforadable!  DIY just doesn’t get any better than that!
I started with these items all purchased at Hobby Lobby ~ 3 unfinished wooden candle sticks ~ $2.00 each, 3 unfinished wooden finials ~ $1.00 each, 3 medium sized wooden base circles ~ $0.50 each and 3 medium sized glass canisters ~ $2.00 each.
I painted the TOP of each lid and all of the unfinished wood pieces with Americana Lamp (Ebony) Black acrylic.
I then completely wrapped the edge of each lid with 4 ply Jute Twine ~ securing it with a thin line of hot glue as I wrapped.
I then used Gorilla Glue to attach ….
The finals on the lids….
each candle stick on a base….
and the glass canister to candle stick.
Using my 3M sanding block I lightly distressed ALL of the edges…
distressing makes all the difference!
Now to fill them!
I purchased these three letters at Michael’s for $1.00 each and this bag of Raffia at Wal-Mart for $1.57.
I painted the letters with two coats of Antique White Acrylic…
and of course they received a visit from our dear friend Ralph!
just paint on and wipe away!
Remember the Raffia ~ a handful and stuff!
Raffia and a letter in one jar…
candy corn and a letter in the other two!
I LOVE them just the way they are but Halloween doesn’t last all year ~ can’t let these adorable little things go to waste….
How ’bout these little beauties….
I purchased these three items to go in each jar at Wal-Mart ~ Lima Beans, Decor Sand and Decor Rocks!
These are great for year-round decor and are so versatile ~ you can change them for every season ~ I can’t wait to show you what I do with them for Christmas!  I hope you are inspired to make some of your own ! We would love to see your creativity run WILD with these!

1. Debilou~Mississippi Mama on October 2, 2009 at 11:55 pm

too stinking cute!! gotta make some of those. thanks for sharing

2. Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com on October 2, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I really like this project…it is something I really am going to do. Can you imagine…using these jars in the bathroom for soaps, cotton balls, Qtips? What a great idea. And then in the kitchen…tea bags and coffee? I love it. Great great idea!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

3. Christi on October 2, 2009 at 7:27 pm

This is my first visit to your site and I'm so glad to have found it. Your project is too clever! I love it.

Christi @ A Southern Life

4. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions on October 2, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I love this! I really like the idea of putting the beans in (or anything similar like that}.

5. Karen- The Graphics Fairy on October 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

You girls are amazing!! What a wonderful project!

6. MerryBerry on October 2, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Absolutely love the idea!! I've been looking for stylish yet affordable apothecary jars everywhere… and these homemade ones are cheaper and the best looking ones I've found yet! Thanks for the wonderful idea! (I hope to have this craft done by the time my fiance gets home. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he see's them and assumes I've spent a fortune on them, and then finds out I made them for minimal costs!) You ladies rock!!

7. Crafty Girls Workshop on October 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Those are TOTOTOTTOTOALLY Awesome!! I love it! I think I am going to have to make a stop at Michael's and Hobby Lobby now. See what you started! Thanks for sharing and the tutorial too. I love to see the transformation of something ordinary into something soo fun and cute and inexpensive!

Anna

8. Jamie on October 2, 2009 at 1:03 pm

What a great project! Very clever!

9. Teresa on October 2, 2009 at 6:56 am

That is the best idea I've seen in awhile!
    Thanks for sharing- Love it.

10. Heartfire At Home on October 2, 2009 at 6:25 am

What a great idea! I love the finials on the top…… thanks for sharing how you did it.

Linda. 🙂

11. [email protected] on October 2, 2009 at 5:30 am

Ridiculously cute! I would fill all three with candy corn. They would be empty by the end of the week!!!

12. Diann on October 2, 2009 at 5:09 am

LOVE IT!

13. Embellished Bayou on October 2, 2009 at 4:33 am

These are gorgeous, they look store-bought (or even better)!! Gotta love that you got all your supplies at the HobLob, and so thrifty!

I've said it before & I'll say it again…you gals are geniuses!!

14. Jenny on October 2, 2009 at 3:10 am

Those are awesome! I need to get some Gorilla glue. I hot glued my glass jars on candlesticks last week and I'm afraid they will come crashing down! Yikes!

15. Madeleine on October 2, 2009 at 2:53 am

I love your blog!!!! I want to come and learn from you!!! I'm going to go to Hobby Lobby!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

16. Craft Tea Lady on October 2, 2009 at 1:05 am

Your jars ROCK! I had the other idea saved back, but the mason jars didn't rock my world the way this sleek, slim-line jar does.

WHERE IS HOBBY LOBBY WHEN I NEED IT!?!?!? ACK!!! (only like 3 states over!)

Thanks for sharing the tut.

I love your blog and have been a secret stalker since I found it 2 weeks ago. 🙂

17. Glenda/MidSouth on October 2, 2009 at 12:36 am

What a great project – They look great!
    Thanks for sharing.

18. Jacey @ Trash2MyTreasure on October 2, 2009 at 12:33 am

wow! and i thought the last apothecary jars you made were cute…these topped them! theyre adorable! very creative…I MUST try these soon!

19. julie on October 2, 2009 at 12:20 am

i love these! i cant wait to make them! i am wondering what they would look like in cream! thanks for the idea!

20. Linh C. on October 2, 2009 at 12:13 am

This is exactly what I need to do! I love apothecary jars, but they are so expensive and I am never lucky enough to find them at thrift stores. Thanks for sharing!