Ashley’s Fall Apothecary

So, Whitney shared with you all her version of the mason jar turned apothecary idea we saw at Michael’s (still cannot for the life of me find what magazine it was in ~ if you have seen it let us know!).  If you missed it here is the link!  Well, she did beat me to it but mine are FINALLY done!  I chose to style mine for Halloween and I made three of them!  I have included a tutorial for all of you ~ these are super easy, versatile and afforadable!  DIY just doesn’t get any better than that!
I started with these items all purchased at Hobby Lobby ~ 3 unfinished wooden candle sticks ~ $2.00 each, 3 unfinished wooden finials ~ $1.00 each, 3 medium sized wooden base circles ~ $0.50 each and 3 medium sized glass canisters ~ $2.00 each.
I painted the TOP of each lid and all of the unfinished wood pieces with Americana Lamp (Ebony) Black acrylic.
I then completely wrapped the edge of each lid with 4 ply Jute Twine ~ securing it with a thin line of hot glue as I wrapped.
I then used Gorilla Glue to attach ….
The finals on the lids….
each candle stick on a base….
and the glass canister to candle stick.
Using my 3M sanding block I lightly distressed ALL of the edges…
distressing makes all the difference!
Now to fill them!
I purchased these three letters at Michael’s for $1.00 each and this bag of Raffia at Wal-Mart for $1.57.
I painted the letters with two coats of Antique White Acrylic…
and of course they received a visit from our dear friend Ralph!
just paint on and wipe away!
Remember the Raffia ~ a handful and stuff!
Raffia and a letter in one jar…
candy corn and a letter in the other two!
I LOVE them just the way they are but Halloween doesn’t last all year ~ can’t let these adorable little things go to waste….
How ’bout these little beauties….
I purchased these three items to go in each jar at Wal-Mart ~ Lima Beans, Decor Sand and Decor Rocks!
These are great for year-round decor and are so versatile ~ you can change them for every season ~ I can’t wait to show you what I do with them for Christmas!  I hope you are inspired to make some of your own ! We would love to see your creativity run WILD with these!

1. Sharlotte on October 5, 2009 at 2:16 am

Love this! I went to Hobby Lobby and found all the supplies…now just the time to complete. I can't wait to see what you have in store for these beauties for Christmas!
    Thanks for sharing!

2. Shelia on October 5, 2009 at 1:31 am

Oh, I love your project! These wonderful stands are fantastic! You really did a great job. I can see how these could be used anytime! Oh, you're good!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

3. The DIY Show Off on October 5, 2009 at 1:23 am

Great job!

4. g.suzie on October 5, 2009 at 1:13 am

Such cleverness, and adaptable to any season. . .Thanks for the tutorial and sharing another great idea with us!

5. Sarah on October 5, 2009 at 1:02 am

WOW, I LOVE them! You are one creative sis!!! God's blessings, Sarah 😀

6. BrownBag*Boutique on October 5, 2009 at 12:56 am

I'm such a copycat! I loved these and made my set yesterday! They are in my living room and even my husband said he liked them. The HL here was out of the size jars I needed so I bought "smooth sided" mason jars. I love the way they turned out. I think I am going to make a white set too! Hope to blog about them soon. Great blog – you girls are so talented!

7. bj on October 5, 2009 at 12:49 am

O, this is so so awesome. I love this. How creative ya'll are. Good idea!!

8. Dresser Girl on October 5, 2009 at 12:11 am

What cool ideas! You guys consistently do GREAT stuff. I LOVE IT!!

9. Diana on October 4, 2009 at 11:42 pm

LOVE your ideas! Hopefully I can copy your idea!!!!

10. nannykim on October 4, 2009 at 11:42 pm

What glue did you use to attach the glass to the candlestick?

11. pk on October 4, 2009 at 11:42 pm

The creativity continues… I'm amazed athow you're always coming up with new things. These are great!
    pk @ room remix

12. [email protected] Creations by Kara on October 4, 2009 at 4:46 am

These are just fabulous!! Thanks so much for doing a tutorial. I have got to try them! 🙂

13. [email protected] on October 4, 2009 at 4:40 am

I was so happy to see a holiday post. I was going to throw out a random suggestion. I would like to see how you would make over a fake pumpkin for a nice holiday grouping…Pretty Please..

14. REbekah on October 3, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Totally FAB!!! Totally!!! 🙂

15. melissa * 320 Sycamore on October 3, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Umm…adorable! I would love to hook up to your party~loving all your stuff!

16. Marie on October 3, 2009 at 4:39 am

Hello Ashley – I'm lovin' your jar idea! But shoot, I don't have a Hobby Lobby here in San Diego. Have you seen wooden finials any where else? I'll have to keep my eye out for them. What a fabulous project. Thank you for sharing!

Blessings,
    Marie

17. Angie on October 3, 2009 at 2:07 am

Y'all are just so awesome and do the BEST projects! Love this one!!!

18. Candice on October 3, 2009 at 1:24 am

I long for a Hobby Lobby!!! California is great, but crafters only have the choice of JoAnn's or Michael's! 🙁

19. Cherry's Jubilee on October 3, 2009 at 12:51 am

Cool idea..I have done several cake stands…but love the finial on top. You need to come visit sometime..we have similiar tastes. cherry

20. Frippery on October 3, 2009 at 12:18 am