Ashley’s Fall Apothecary

So, Whitney shared with you all her version of the mason jar turned apothecary idea we saw at Michael’s (still cannot for the life of me find what magazine it was in ~ if you have seen it let us know!).  If you missed it here is the link!  Well, she did beat me to it but mine are FINALLY done!  I chose to style mine for Halloween and I made three of them!  I have included a tutorial for all of you ~ these are super easy, versatile and afforadable!  DIY just doesn’t get any better than that!
I started with these items all purchased at Hobby Lobby ~ 3 unfinished wooden candle sticks ~ $2.00 each, 3 unfinished wooden finials ~ $1.00 each, 3 medium sized wooden base circles ~ $0.50 each and 3 medium sized glass canisters ~ $2.00 each.
I painted the TOP of each lid and all of the unfinished wood pieces with Americana Lamp (Ebony) Black acrylic.
I then completely wrapped the edge of each lid with 4 ply Jute Twine ~ securing it with a thin line of hot glue as I wrapped.
I then used Gorilla Glue to attach ….
The finals on the lids….
each candle stick on a base….
and the glass canister to candle stick.
Using my 3M sanding block I lightly distressed ALL of the edges…
distressing makes all the difference!
Now to fill them!
I purchased these three letters at Michael’s for $1.00 each and this bag of Raffia at Wal-Mart for $1.57.
I painted the letters with two coats of Antique White Acrylic…
and of course they received a visit from our dear friend Ralph!
just paint on and wipe away!
Remember the Raffia ~ a handful and stuff!
Raffia and a letter in one jar…
candy corn and a letter in the other two!
I LOVE them just the way they are but Halloween doesn’t last all year ~ can’t let these adorable little things go to waste….
How ’bout these little beauties….
I purchased these three items to go in each jar at Wal-Mart ~ Lima Beans, Decor Sand and Decor Rocks!
These are great for year-round decor and are so versatile ~ you can change them for every season ~ I can’t wait to show you what I do with them for Christmas!  I hope you are inspired to make some of your own ! We would love to see your creativity run WILD with these!

1. Tracy Suzanne on October 8, 2009 at 5:21 am

I love these creative wonders. Great job! Thanks for letting us in on it!
    Tracy 🙂

2. Christina on October 7, 2009 at 2:53 am

Brilliant idea! I love it. Such a fun project. Thanks for the how to.

3. niartist on October 6, 2009 at 9:17 pm

THIS is perfectly amazing! WOW! I have seen so much of this stuff and never thought of pairing it all up. Great vision! Perfect!

4. Barb on October 6, 2009 at 5:31 pm

what a totally awesome way to make something awesome out of a pile of ordinary things.

great [email protected]
    blessings
    barbara jean

5. bcp.....My Life on October 6, 2009 at 1:58 pm

These are so good looking! Thanks for inspiring me.
    Betty

6. "Blossom" on October 6, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Wonderful ideas.

7. Sherri S on October 6, 2009 at 2:45 am

A sweet young friend of mine made your jars. She doesn't have a blog and allowed me to share them. I posted her photo and your link on my posting today. I still want to make my own set!

8. erin on October 6, 2009 at 2:22 am

These are lovely! Thank you for sharing!

9. michelle on October 6, 2009 at 1:58 am

These are fabulous. As soon as I saw them (seriously, like within 5 minutes) I was out the door to get supplies. I hit up Sal.Army and got 2 heavy duty wall candle sconces. I spray painted them black (they were dirty gold) and attached tall cylinder vases. Then I filled them like you did. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. ImagineCozy on October 5, 2009 at 9:52 pm

What a creative idea. All of those piece turned out to be sooo… cute and useful. I love that you can interchange the contents for what ever look you want. Great!
    -Angela

11. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) on October 5, 2009 at 9:30 pm

What wonderful canisters. They look fabulous. I love them. Hugs, Marty

12. inner_child on October 5, 2009 at 7:21 pm

How clever! I thought those lima beans were pumpkin seeds, not sure if Walmart carries them, but they'd be a great snack and definitely fall!
    Paula ~ Mise en scène

13. Barbara on October 5, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Very Elegant. Good Job.

14. Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE on October 5, 2009 at 3:58 pm

wow you are so creative and talented, contrats on those jars becoming canisters, great job….thanks for sharing, come visit…Phyllis

15. ~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ on October 5, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Morning, you gals are full of great ideas. I'm glad that you share.

16. Maggie B on October 5, 2009 at 11:22 am

Just popped over from BNOTP and saw your great craft project.
    No Hobby Lobby here in France so I'll just have to keep visiting and enjoy what you create.
    Maggie

17. Isabella & Max Rooms on October 5, 2009 at 3:20 am

Just found you via Between Naps on the Porch…love what you are doing on this blog!
    Janell

18. Isabella & Max Rooms on October 5, 2009 at 3:20 am

Janell

19. Donna on October 5, 2009 at 2:55 am

From one who has just recently been freed from a 20 year imprisonment in the corporate jungle, your apothecary jar project is AH-MAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing with those of us desperately trying to wake up their creative side!!!

20. Julie on October 5, 2009 at 2:17 am

Hey Girls…I love your project…I love how they turned out…So cute cute cute…
    xoxo