Ashley’s Fall Apothecary

So, Whitney shared with you all her version of the mason jar turned apothecary idea we saw at Michael’s (still cannot for the life of me find what magazine it was in ~ if you have seen it let us know!).  If you missed it here is the link!  Well, she did beat me to it but mine are FINALLY done!  I chose to style mine for Halloween and I made three of them!  I have included a tutorial for all of you ~ these are super easy, versatile and afforadable!  DIY just doesn’t get any better than that!
I started with these items all purchased at Hobby Lobby ~ 3 unfinished wooden candle sticks ~ $2.00 each, 3 unfinished wooden finials ~ $1.00 each, 3 medium sized wooden base circles ~ $0.50 each and 3 medium sized glass canisters ~ $2.00 each.
I painted the TOP of each lid and all of the unfinished wood pieces with Americana Lamp (Ebony) Black acrylic.
I then completely wrapped the edge of each lid with 4 ply Jute Twine ~ securing it with a thin line of hot glue as I wrapped.
I then used Gorilla Glue to attach ….
The finals on the lids….
each candle stick on a base….
and the glass canister to candle stick.
Using my 3M sanding block I lightly distressed ALL of the edges…
distressing makes all the difference!
Now to fill them!
I purchased these three letters at Michael’s for $1.00 each and this bag of Raffia at Wal-Mart for $1.57.
I painted the letters with two coats of Antique White Acrylic…
and of course they received a visit from our dear friend Ralph!
just paint on and wipe away!
Remember the Raffia ~ a handful and stuff!
Raffia and a letter in one jar…
candy corn and a letter in the other two!
I LOVE them just the way they are but Halloween doesn’t last all year ~ can’t let these adorable little things go to waste….
How ’bout these little beauties….
I purchased these three items to go in each jar at Wal-Mart ~ Lima Beans, Decor Sand and Decor Rocks!
These are great for year-round decor and are so versatile ~ you can change them for every season ~ I can’t wait to show you what I do with them for Christmas!  I hope you are inspired to make some of your own ! We would love to see your creativity run WILD with these!

1. Kelsey on September 29, 2011 at 2:45 am

I absolutely love these! I went to Hobby Lobby to find the supplies, but they didnt have the candlesticks, and I couldn’d find them on their website either.

2. m on August 30, 2011 at 12:24 pm

super cute ideas! Thanks for the inspiration!

3. jamie on April 5, 2011 at 1:18 am

Just made something very similar for Easter inspired by yours!

• Ashley on April 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Love those Jamie:) I wish I had luck at Goodwill! I have yet to find anything….. Thanks so much for sharing!

4. Jessica on February 5, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Absolutely FABULOUS! Headed to Hobby Lobby NOW!

Jessica @ myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

5. Melody on September 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Those are great! So creative!

6. Sandra on September 21, 2010 at 4:01 am

This is the coolest thing!!! Totally twisting on this idea. TFS

7. Denise on September 20, 2010 at 9:39 am

These are wonderful!!!

8. Meg on March 15, 2010 at 4:00 am

I came here from the link you posted on BHG's 100 Ideas fan page on FB. I love this idea, especially how you dressed the jars for Halloween. So cute!!

9. mrs.robinson on March 15, 2010 at 3:51 am

A friend shared this link with me and I'm excited to make this! I already bought the items I need. And for those who don't live near a Hobby Lobby, they have an online store now! http://shop.hobbylobby.com 🙂

10. Melanie on February 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Hey ladies! I just recently found your blog! It is SO awesome! Thank you for all of the tutorials and inspiration!!! Y'all are GREAT!
    I made these jars this past week and I SO love them. I just got around to blogging about it today! THANKS AGAIN! 🙂

11. Sherron on January 24, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I have wanted to make these since you first posted them. I had to wait until after the Christmas season was over so I would have time to make them. One problem I had with them is that when I went to glue the jar onto the candlestick I had major issues. The metal ring on the candlesticks (2 of the 3) were not centered, and the bottoms of my jars were bowed and not centered. Thus, the jars were sitting on the candlesticks completely lopsided and not very securely.
    My solution was to take out the metal rings on the candlesticks with pliers. Then I went back to Hobby Lobby (thank goodness it is just around the corner!) and bought three small wooden base circles (2/$1). I attached the bases upside down to the top of the candlestick and the jar to the base. The jar has a more substantial base to stick to and the finished result is awesome!
    Thank you for the inspiration!

12. Stephie @ Made By Stephie on January 8, 2010 at 5:36 am

Just finished mine!!! I'm going to link them up to Made it Without My Hubby!

13. JJ on November 24, 2009 at 2:59 am

ok, i made my jars!! check out my blog and let me know what you think! they were so much fun to make and i think they turned out really, really cute. Thank y'all again for all your wonderful ideas!
    JJ

14. Keeton on November 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I have just found your blog as well. I am really impressed with all of the wonderful project you are posting. I have a Hobby Lobby in my area and they have some amazing item. I just purchased 12 of their wooden pears (with a very grey french chic look to them), for $3 each after the 50% off sale. Mind you there were only 3 in my local city, 5 back home with mom, 3 with sis, and 3 about 30 mins away. I do love Hobby Lobby.

I am convinced you can really outfit you home's accessories with Hobby Lobby deals…especially when they run a fantastic sale.

Since I am not a home owner…yet, but soon to be I will be scooping up all of their Christmas ornaments right after Christmas is over!!!

Love your blog!

15. Shanty 2 Chic on November 22, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Hey guys! I've had several questions on the price of our materials. We never pay full price for items. Hobby Lobby alternates their sales every week and you can get these items 40% – 50% off. This is how I saved so much money for them.

16. Maresa on November 22, 2009 at 6:11 am

I too have just found your blog. I love it. I went and gathered all my supplies and I spent close to 30 dollars also. I think I even got a shorter jar. They were 3.99 each. can't wait to get them. thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas.

17. StepherB on November 19, 2009 at 12:22 am

So I know my comment comes late but I am new to follow and I am in love with this site! I did go and purchase all of the makings for these and I will doing them this weekend, but I have to say, my Hobby Lobby is more expensive! it stinks! For all of the materials, it ran me about $38 bucks! SAME materials! Yikes!

18. Kimm at Reinvented on October 9, 2009 at 1:58 am

Oh. my. gosh. Those have to be the most fabulous thing I've seen in awhile. Wow. I Looooove apothecary jars, but these are even better with the wood accents. They would be fab in my family room! You go girls, I am fast becoming addicted to you blog! 🙂

19. Clint & Alicia McLaws on October 8, 2009 at 6:07 am

new to this blog, i just stumbled across it, and boy am i glad that I did!!! I will be RUNNING to hobby lobby tomorrow to pick the stuff up to do this! i LOVE apothacary jars, and they're so expensive I always pass them up! now I can make my own for super cheap??? SIGN ME UP!! 😀 Thanks for this great tutorial!!!

20. Clint & Alicia McLaws on October 8, 2009 at 6:07 am