Ashley’s Fall Apothecary

So, Whitney shared with you all her version of the mason jar turned apothecary idea we saw at Michael’s (still cannot for the life of me find what magazine it was in ~ if you have seen it let us know!).  If you missed it here is the link!  Well, she did beat me to it but mine are FINALLY done!  I chose to style mine for Halloween and I made three of them!  I have included a tutorial for all of you ~ these are super easy, versatile and afforadable!  DIY just doesn’t get any better than that!
I started with these items all purchased at Hobby Lobby ~ 3 unfinished wooden candle sticks ~ $2.00 each, 3 unfinished wooden finials ~ $1.00 each, 3 medium sized wooden base circles ~ $0.50 each and 3 medium sized glass canisters ~ $2.00 each.
I painted the TOP of each lid and all of the unfinished wood pieces with Americana Lamp (Ebony) Black acrylic.
I then completely wrapped the edge of each lid with 4 ply Jute Twine ~ securing it with a thin line of hot glue as I wrapped.
I then used Gorilla Glue to attach ….
The finals on the lids….
each candle stick on a base….
and the glass canister to candle stick.
Using my 3M sanding block I lightly distressed ALL of the edges…
distressing makes all the difference!
Now to fill them!
I purchased these three letters at Michael’s for $1.00 each and this bag of Raffia at Wal-Mart for $1.57.
I painted the letters with two coats of Antique White Acrylic…
and of course they received a visit from our dear friend Ralph!
just paint on and wipe away!
Remember the Raffia ~ a handful and stuff!
Raffia and a letter in one jar…
candy corn and a letter in the other two!
I LOVE them just the way they are but Halloween doesn’t last all year ~ can’t let these adorable little things go to waste….
How ’bout these little beauties….
I purchased these three items to go in each jar at Wal-Mart ~ Lima Beans, Decor Sand and Decor Rocks!
These are great for year-round decor and are so versatile ~ you can change them for every season ~ I can’t wait to show you what I do with them for Christmas!  I hope you are inspired to make some of your own ! We would love to see your creativity run WILD with these!

1. Margo on March 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Hi there,
    I absolutely love the apothecary jars. I went to 2 Hobby Lobby’s and 1 Michael’s (all 3 stores are 60 miles away) yesterday looking for the supplies to make these jars. I had no idea the jars were so large and was confused on which size round bases to get……Help! Please tell me the approximate height and diameter of the jars and bases you used. Also, neither place had finials, but I did find them at Lowe’s, but they had screws on the bottom of the finials. Do you know if the screw parts are easy to remove? Needless to say, I only bought 1 candlestick, the only one they had at all 3 stores, and none of the other supplies. I’m brand new to the DIY scene, so I’m a little slow on figuring some of this stuff out.
    Thanks and Have a Blessed Day.

• Margo on March 17, 2012 at 9:57 am

I also found out that the Ralph Lauren glaze has been discontinued, but the cs at Home Depot told me that it has been replaced by the new Martha Stewart glaze (both the Ralph Lauren and Martha Stewart glazes were and are made by Glidden) I also didn’t realize you had to tint the glaze yourself, so I have no idea what color to use to get “smoke”. Can anyone help?

• Mgrimes on March 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Margo, I had the same dilemma with the candlesticks at my HL today…I ended up taking a package of 6, 1-7/8″x1-3/4″ candlesticks (in a bag in the unfinished wood section) and using those instead. I screwed 3 together for the tallest, 2 together for the middle size and used a single one for the shortest. (I matched like end to like end when putting them together) It took a little extra work but since they only had 1 size candlestick it was the best alternative I could come up with. You could probably Gorilla Glue them together with less trouble instead of screwing them, though. Good luck!

• Mgrimes on March 17, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Also, the jars I used were approx. 6-5/8″ high X 4-1/2″ diameter and the wooden bases are 4″ diameter. I also bought my finials at Lowe’s. If you use a pair of pliars to hold the screw end tight, the wooden part easily unscrews.

• Margo on March 19, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thank you sooooooo much for the shared info. Your idea of stacking the shorter candlesticks is genius!
        Now the only other thing I need to know is, what color to tint my glaze to get “smoke”. Do you know?
        Thanks again for your response and Have a Blessed Day.

2. Tina on February 18, 2012 at 1:07 am

What size of candlesticks, circles, finials and jars do you use? Love the idea and shopping online for materials since no craft stores close. Thanks!

3. Bobbi on January 5, 2012 at 2:58 am

Michaels and Hobby Lobby neither one carry them. Any ideas? I am having a tough time finding the 4″ candlestick. I can find 3″ which is too small and 6 3/4″ but need the in between.

4. Bobbi on January 5, 2012 at 2:58 am

I am having a tough time finding the 4″ candlestick. I can find 3″ which is too small and 6 3/4″ but need the in between. Michaels and Hobby Lobby neither one carry them. Any ideas?

5. Savannah on November 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hey there! I love this to pieces! So much that I tried to find the wood products at Hobby Lobby and I couldn’t find the candlesticks anywhere =[ do you know what area of the store they would be or any other places to get them? Thanks for your help!

• Shanty2Chic on November 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Michael’s also carries 2 different size wood candlesticks. I think Hobby Lobby has quit carrying them. Hope this helps!

6. Danielle on October 2, 2011 at 6:05 am

I love your blog! It is too cute! I just wanted to let you know I featured you on my blog today.

7. Lara on October 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Hi, I am in the middle of making these, and am having huge trouble getting the glass canister to stick to the candlesticks….WHAT am I doing wrong? I am using Gorilla Super Glue, the same you have pictured in this post.

Thanks!

• Rachel Thompson on February 16, 2014 at 8:24 am

Hi I am having the exate same problem have you figured out how to stick the candle sticks to the glass without it sliding