Ashley’s Corner Hutch Shanty

Hi all!  Hope you are all fantastic!  I haven’t posted much in the past week because I have been pouring my blood, sweat and tears into this piece!!!

It may be hard to believe but it once looked like this!
This is a piece from our game room.  There is nothing wrong with it but my boys are getting older and I really want the room to have a more mature look.  This hutch fits great in the corner however, the yellow, blue and sports decor didn’t fit with the picture I had in my mind…
I started by taking the cabinet doors off and cutting the wooden sport decals out of the doors.  I used my Ryobi battery powered circular saw to start, then Whit’s hand saw to tackle the hard-to-reach spots and finished off with a good sanding to smooth the edges.
Enough of the elbow grease….let’s paint!
I used a Shanty Sisters fav ~ Rustoleum American Accents Canyon Black spray paint all over ~ 2 coats and quickly moved on to the detailing.
I measured and cut pieces of burlap to fit on the inside walls of the hutch.  Next, I hot glued the edges down to form nice seams on all sides (my hot glue gun is my best friend seeing as I do not know how to sew ~ she gets’er done!!!!
When the burlap was ready, I sprayed Elmer’s Spray Adhesive on the inside corner of the hutch and used a ruler to smooth the center of the burlap all the way down the corner.
I then pulled the burlap tight to the edges and placed several small tacks behind the outer edges.
Nice…
Next, I pushed the pegs through the burlap into the holes…
and placed the newly painted shelves back in their spots.
Now she’s starting to come around…
I continued the same steps all the way up to the top.
Now for the impact detailing!
I used my 3M sanding block to distress all of the edges and corners…
and hot glued 4ply jute twine on the bottom edges of each shelf to give a more finished touch to the burlap!
One final important piece!
I cut down a piece of molding to fit the top of the hutch…
gave it a good spray down with our fav Canyon Black…
turned the hutch on her belly and attached the molding to the front using Gorilla Glue Epoxy!
Next, I attached the cabinet doors and finished her off with a cute set of knobs that I purchased at Hobby Lobby!
What was once this….
Is now a chic piece of furniture that I can display in any part of our home!
I’ll leave her in the gameroom for now but who knows….she may make it around the house a few times!  I’m so happy with my new corner hutch and it has given me just the motivation I need to start decorating our gameroom!!!!

1. ~ RM on November 16, 2009 at 2:52 am

Awesome job! I love the molding! It's refreshing to see all these great ideas! I often look through your older posts and get new ideas.

2. sheri marsh on November 16, 2009 at 2:42 am

Awesome Job Ashely.. I love it.. You are both so talented..Thanks for all the ideas. Maybe one day soon, I will be able to decorate Madison's game room. These ideas are wonderful…

Sheri

3. Amber @ Two Nuts in a Shell on November 16, 2009 at 1:35 am

That turned out beautifully!

Just wanted to mention that today I went supply shopping to make the magnetic recipe holder and a cake stand. Everyone wanted to know what the heck I was doing with such odd supplies and when I told them they couldn't stop gushing how creative it was! Just wanted to pass their reactions onto you both! 🙂

4. Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk on November 16, 2009 at 12:21 am

Beautifully done, and I'm so glad that you were specific with your tutorial. Someone else might have just tossed this piece, but you've turned it into a lovely piece of furniture. So nice!!! Please considering showing this piece on Wednesday at my boardwalk Bragfest.

5. Rafahi Family on November 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm

This is so great! You are very creative with your repurposing!! I look forward to every new project that comes out on your blog! 🙂

6. Kim on November 15, 2009 at 8:11 pm

@Cheap Chic Home. You'd never know what it started out as. The details are wonderful.

7. Ann On and On... on November 15, 2009 at 7:34 pm

It was well worth the blood, sweat and tears! WOW, it is fabulous!

8. Infarrantly Creative on November 15, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Love it, burlap and all. See I am not a burlap lover but you guys are making me reconsider. I big puffy heart Canyon Black. I think it is no longer American Accents but now just Rustoleum. I think they repackaged it here. Anyway…random thought of the day 🙂

9. Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous on November 15, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Oh my goodness! What a 360!! Looks sooo good! Thanks for sharing. Your sweat and blood paid off big time.

10. Jill on November 15, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Oh my gosh…just fabulous!

11. Nancy on November 15, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Looks lots better!

Nancy

12. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) on November 15, 2009 at 4:38 pm

What a fabulous transformation. It looks just gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

13. Candace on November 15, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Great job!:)

14. Nori on November 15, 2009 at 3:59 pm

what an incredible makeover!! you two really have an eye for making things beautiful!
    blessings,
    nori

15. Dawn on November 15, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Beautiful! I absolutely love it!

16. Jane on November 15, 2009 at 2:52 pm

This looks great. The addition of the molding on the top really adds the perfect finishing touch!
    Jane

17. Suzanne on November 15, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Wow. That is amazing! Thank you so much for giving such detailed tutorials. It really helps the rest of us — who are a little lower on the "creative genius scale" the impetus to start a project of our own. Really beautiful!
    – Suzanne
    justanotherhangup.blogspot.com

18. Brenda on November 15, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Very nice. Great work! Everything came together beautifully.

19. Chloe and Co. on November 15, 2009 at 1:57 pm

You are a creative genious! It looks awesome.

20. Cindy on November 15, 2009 at 1:49 pm

This would make a great addition to my link party tomorrow Ashley….you 'made it with what you had' for sure and the result is stunning :o)