Whitney’s Wannabe Antique Cake Stand

Hey Guys!! I spent my weekend with the fam in Lubbock and made it home just in time to share my next project with you.  A few weeks ago I saw a picture of an antique cake stand in a magazine and was instantly inspired to copy… although this shanty is far from antique:)  Here’s what I did…
I started by purchasing my supplies.  I found three great hat boxes at Hobby Lobby at 50% off.  I paid less than $12 for all three… woohoo!!
I also bought 2 unfinished wood candlesticks and a bag of 6 little candlesticks.  This picture shows 3… you only need 2.
I also had my Gorilla Glue Epoxy handy… Hot glue will not cut it on this project!  I had to pull out my big guns…
For this project I only used the tops of the hat boxes.  My first step was to glue my candlesticks to the tops.  I added glue to each candlestick and started building…
My little candlesticks became the feet for the bottom stand…
Still building…
I used another little candlestick for the top and glued an unfinished wood finial to it.  You can find these at Lowe’s on the trim aisle.
Now to add it to the top…
My next step was to get this baby one color!  My color of choice… Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint.  I took it out in the garage and gave it a couple of coats.
When my paint dried I was wanting this to appear antique, so I distressed the candlesticks using my 3M block sander…
I then used a Shanty Sisters favorite… Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze over the entire stand.  You just paint it on and wipe it off with a cloth.  You can leave as much on as you like to get the finish you like best.
Almost done…
I do love natural lighting for my photos so much better, but when you finish your project at 9:00pm that typically is not an option.  Sorry!
My final step was to dress it up.  I fought the urge to cover it in Christmas goodies!  But, I did “Winterize” it a bit.  I picked up some pine cones from a house down the street and added just a few walnuts on there as well.  The best part about this… You won’t have to hide this project in a closet 10 months out of the year!  It can be decorated for every season!  What do you think??
We are so, so, soooo excited about the party this week!!  Hope you guys have your posts ready! If you need more details on it you can click HERE.  Don’t forget to grab our button below and add it to your sidebar and post.  Just copy and paste it!  Thanks!!!

1. Chelisa Brooks on December 19, 2012 at 7:02 am

Can I just tell you how excited i am to have found this! I’ve been on the HUNT for a pretty cupcake stand for our wedding! This is amazing!

2. Linda Skinner on September 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

TOO CUTE! I want to make one for my bathroom vanity, barrets a clips etc. THANKS!!!

3. Andrea on April 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm

My friend made this and she told me she got it off your blog. Super cute!! It took me awhile to find it though. Please consider adding a categories to your blog 🙂

4. Julie on December 21, 2009 at 6:36 am

i love this! i am gonna try it with the lids from the old cannisters that the thrift stores are loaded with!! i think those things cost like 25 cents each or at least they are less than $1! i like the idea of them because i can make it a tad smaller for a smaller area!!!
    fun!! i cant wait to hit th ethrift stores!!!

5. pinkstilettos on November 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm

How Brilliant and so pretty! I might just have to try this myself..maybe!
    Daisy~

6. Amy on November 16, 2009 at 11:32 pm

I love your blog! You both are so inspiring! I just had to run out and find all the supplies so I could make one too. I couldn't find hatboxes, so I used burner covers! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

7. Lori (All That Splatters) on November 13, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I LOVE this!! What a great idea. I haven't crafted in ages. You've inspired me to get started again. Beautiful!

8. Liz on November 13, 2009 at 1:07 pm

WAY TOO FREAKING CUTE!!!! LOVE IT!!!

~Liz

9. Lily's Pad and Petals... on November 13, 2009 at 1:52 am

wow that is too cute !!!

10. Rook No. 17 on November 12, 2009 at 5:14 pm

This is really brilliant! What incredibly creative thinking! Amazing! You do so many wonderful projects, but this is my absolute fav so far!

11. bj on November 12, 2009 at 3:23 pm

This is so cute…very creative.
    Next time you are going to be in Lubbock, give me a shout, I'll, I'll email you my phone no. and maybe can buy you lunch!! :O)

12. Claudia on November 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I love that you used a hatbox! Perfect – I have some of those candlesticks and finials in a box somewhere. Hmmm.

13. HuNnY aNd PoPpA LeWiS on November 5, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Oh my goodness, isn't that the cuteset thing!! You did good, girl!!

14. Nice and Easy Antiques on November 5, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Looks great! Wonderful project!

15. Gypsy Brocante on November 5, 2009 at 11:19 am

A hat box and glue … who knew!
    Awesome inspiration here … thank you!

xo
    Jill

16. Sarah on November 5, 2009 at 2:12 am

Fabulous, absolutely fabulous!
    God's blessings, Sarah 😀

17. Rita Kent at TesoroFino.Com on November 4, 2009 at 3:07 am

This is one of the most amazing posts I've seen today. I would have never thought of this. Wow…I'm blown away!

18. Theresa on November 4, 2009 at 12:24 am

Okay, fess up, you are related to Martha Stewart right????? You are seriously creative. WOW Thanks for all the inspiration.

19. Handeddowntreasures on November 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Love it!!!!!!! You have such great ideas! Thanks for all the inspiration! Linda

20. jenjen on November 3, 2009 at 10:04 pm

FABULOUS! I love it! I have my project ready for the gorilla glue challenge!

XOXO
    Jen

21. Sharon on November 3, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Very clever. Love the finished product.

22. Kim -today's creative blog on November 3, 2009 at 9:23 pm

wow!!! I love that!

23. Karen- The Graphics Fairy on November 3, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I love it!!! Super chic!

24. Christine on November 3, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I love, love…this idea. I will have to head out to Hobby lobby soon and try this myself. Thanks for sharing!

25. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating on November 3, 2009 at 5:17 pm

This is great! I made something very similar a couple of years ago. Instead of hat box lids, I used unfinished wood plates (available at Hobby Lobby), and then on the bottom, I glued a $4 plastic lazy susan (the kind you use in the cabinet for spices). I then added cups all around on each level, and filled them with crayons, colored pencils, etc., for a little girl's room. You can see it here (fourth picture down):

26. Wanda on November 3, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Great idea…But, what are you going to do with the actual hat box??? Can't wait to see

27. Diane@A Picture is Worth.... on November 3, 2009 at 4:44 pm

adorable!!

28. anhesty on November 3, 2009 at 4:11 pm

you are a genius! this is such a great idea!!! thanks for posting.

29. elizabeth on November 3, 2009 at 3:34 pm

This idea is brilliant!

30. Robyn on November 3, 2009 at 2:32 pm

SERIOUSLY! GEEEZ! I'm in love love love! FABulous idea!

31. Lolly on November 3, 2009 at 1:38 pm

That is SO cute. I need one of those for my cupcakes.

32. Kasey @ A Blog by Me on November 3, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Very cool! 🙂

33. Debbie on November 3, 2009 at 11:51 am

There are some seriously long comments on this thread/blog already! Wow!

You girls just continue to amaze me. This is wild. To second one of the comments, I too, was thinking of buying a cupcake stand, but this is brilliant. I do have a few hat boxes, but they are all filled!

Hmmm…this may mean a trip to the 'ole H/L (don't you just LOVE H/L)?

Thanks for the brilliant idea. Posting now on fb and twitter to share!

34. SuzSpeaks on November 3, 2009 at 11:23 am

must make this asap!!

35. Stephanie on November 3, 2009 at 9:33 am

GORGEOUS!!! I love to entertain and have collected several cake plates over the years. This idea takes it to another level! Genius!!! I can not wait to make one – thanks for the inspiration!

36. Stephanie on November 3, 2009 at 9:33 am

37. Steph @ somewhatsimple on November 3, 2009 at 7:03 am

I love it!!!

38. Embellished Bayou on November 3, 2009 at 5:42 am

Another amazing project…why am I still surprised by your fabulous creativity?!!?

39. Tracy Suzanne on November 3, 2009 at 5:31 am

Brilliant!!! What a smart, creative and inexpensive idea. This looks wonderful and I love it with the pine cones. The aging is fabulous.

Have a great day…Tracy 🙂

P.S. In case I haven't alrady told you already, I'm hosting a fall giveaway. I hope you'll stop by and enter.

40. Lacie @ Creative Attempts on November 3, 2009 at 4:44 am

I can't tell you how much i love this you are amazingly talented!! thank you so much for sharing

41. Jenny on November 3, 2009 at 4:21 am

I love this project! You are so creative!

42. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions on November 3, 2009 at 3:28 am

This is so great! I was actually thinking of buying something like this to use at Christmas, and now I know that if I don't find anything I like {at a reasonable price}, I can make one.

43. Miss Mustard Seed on November 3, 2009 at 3:07 am

Very cute, girls! That is creative and it looks great. Well done.

44. Kimm at Reinvented on November 3, 2009 at 2:19 am

Holy cow, another fabulous idea. I absolutely love this!

45. Kimmy @ my beautifully blessed life on November 2, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Oh my word!! I always think you can't possibly wow me again with your projects, but you never cease to amaze me!!! I love this, thanks SO much for sharing!

46. Tamera on November 2, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Okay, I was a little skeptical at first…cake stand? really?
    Oh, how I love it! It looks great with the pinecones, too!
    thanks for sharing!
    tamera@doubledelight

47. sissie on November 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm

What a cool cake stand. And, thanks for the step-by-step how to.
    Now, what are you going to make with the bottom halves of the hat boxes????Bet you are thinking up an idea already. Can't wait to see it.

48. Kim on November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

@cheapchichome. Very creative. I've been wanting something like this–never would have thought of this. Great job, girls!

49. Denise on November 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm

That is just the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. Another thing that I wish I had thought of! Brilliant!

50. Sandy on November 2, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Great ideal, I have wanted to make one for a while but didn't know what to use. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

51. KirkKrew on November 2, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Love it! I will definitely be copying this!

52. Gina Sisco on November 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm

WAAAAY cool, you gals amaze me!

53. Om Kareem أم كريم on November 2, 2009 at 8:51 pm

This is great! I want to make one too! I love your blog, you two have amazing ideas.

54. Melissa on November 2, 2009 at 8:11 pm

That's awesome!! Thank you for sharing. Love it.

55. Cindy ~ My Romantic Home on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm

That is just amazing! So creative! I love it!!!

56. Sarah on November 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Awesome project. Would look great at a wedding too.

57. Beyond All Measure on November 2, 2009 at 6:43 pm

super sweet! LOVE it. I have some hat boxes that I am not using! I know exactly what to do with them (only my stand will be PINK!)

58. Lovely Scribbles on November 2, 2009 at 6:18 pm

This is so awesome! I'm always looking for creative ways to display cupcakes and other treats, plus I love doing crafts. This is perfect!!

59. Sherrie on November 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I can't believe you made that!!! I am so going to make one this week!! Thank you for your inspiration!!!
    Sherrie

60. Sherri S on November 2, 2009 at 4:53 pm

TOTALLY awesome! LOVE all of ya'lls ideas. You just KEEP amazing me. And giving me things to think about, make, do! I LOVE that! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents with all of us.

61. amie4Christ on November 2, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Oh my goodness! That is brilliant! I love your blog, you both are awesome and full of creative ideas!

62. The Mellberg Family on November 2, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Hey, I'm from Lubbock. I love your blog and all your great ideas. Will you please give us a tour of your home. The glimpses I get in the background of your pictures it looks gorgeous.

What part of the state do you live in now?

63. LouLou@thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com on November 2, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Girls, JUST when I think you can't possibly do ANYTHING cuter you come up with this! Do you ever sleep, or does your mind just ROLL with ideas all night??? I think you 2 are fabulous!

64. ~ RM on November 2, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Ooh, I love it! I want to have more reddish accents- do you know of a good 'barn red' or something that doesn't scream 'firetruck'? All the reds I've tried are WAY too bright! If I find a good pait, I would love to make this in red. 🙂 Thanks for sharing~

65. Heather@PixieDust on November 2, 2009 at 2:35 pm

that is such a great project! i may have to try it out too.

66. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality on November 2, 2009 at 2:13 pm

You girls are good!! What a great project, love how it turned out. If I had room for one more stand, I'd make one of these for sure. Ya'll are a whirlwind of projects!

67. Julia Stainton on November 2, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I love this project! I have some hat boxes that need repurposing. Thanks!

68. Lisa@Pickles and Cheese on November 2, 2009 at 1:32 pm

This is such a great idea! I find these round boxes at the Goodwill all the time. I will start adding to my collection so I can try this project out. Thank You!!

69. Sarah on November 2, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Cute! I love this idea!!

70. Jane on November 2, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Fabulous project!! You know this one is going to be copied!! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Jane

71. Debilou~Mississippi Mama on November 2, 2009 at 12:25 pm

what do i think?? I think its just tooo cute for words, and i wanna make one for my table. Thanks for sharing all your tips and ideas..

72. Samantha2818 on November 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm

You never cease to amaze me. I thought I was creative but I am incompetent compared to you two! You seem to be able to turn anything at all into something amazing. I am speechless (for once!).

73. Liz Futch on November 2, 2009 at 11:54 am

I love your projects! They are so fun and always turn out fabulous!!

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Liz

74. duchess on November 2, 2009 at 11:24 am

Great idea! Hat box lids, plain candlesticks & gorilla glue, who knew?

75. Cindy on November 2, 2009 at 11:07 am

Well, I think you're a genius. That's what I think. :o)

76. Mary Ellen (megardengal) on November 2, 2009 at 6:35 am

Great idea! I am wondering about how much weight you could put on each tray or would it have to be light things like the pinecones?

blessings
    mary

77. { L } on November 2, 2009 at 6:03 am

Brilliant!

78. Mama Thompson on November 2, 2009 at 5:40 am

I LOVE that…I may have to find a place in my home that needs that…which would mean that I need to make one right?!

79. Nancy W on November 2, 2009 at 5:36 am

Awesome! I have those hat boxes to store stamps…hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Hugs from Conroe, TX!

80. Darin, Jenn and Ivy on November 2, 2009 at 5:32 am

*SIGH* I miss Hobby Lobby. Curse smaller towns and their lack of craft supplies!

81. Valerie on November 2, 2009 at 5:31 am

All I can say is WOW! What a great idea! I am filing this little gem away at thecraftersfilebox.blogspot.com.

Thanks so much for sharing!

82. pk on November 2, 2009 at 5:30 am

What a creative way to make a cake stand! It turned out great.

pk @ Room Remix

83. Get Your Martha On on November 2, 2009 at 5:28 am

This is one of the best Shanty2Chic projects yet!

84. Nori on November 2, 2009 at 5:08 am

Ooooooo!!! Love this project!!! You two are blessed with creative juices!! 🙂 Thanks for sharing them with us!

85. Kristin on November 2, 2009 at 4:59 am

This is so cute! How much weight do you think the cardboard box lids will hold?

86. Tales From My Empty Nest on November 2, 2009 at 4:55 am

This turned out really cute!!! Love it!! Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

87. 'T' on November 2, 2009 at 4:54 am

this rules.

88. Sarah on November 2, 2009 at 4:48 am

Creative clever idea! This looks terrific and perfect for the upcoming holidays. Thanks for sharing this idea.

89. Beautifully Inspired on November 2, 2009 at 4:48 am

This is just darling!!! I can't wait to make one!

90. Suzanne on November 2, 2009 at 4:46 am

Your creativity astounds me. Seriously. I've been thinking of purchasing a cupcake stand and now I think I'll make something like this instead. Love it. Thanks so much for the idea.

91. Jane on November 2, 2009 at 4:40 am

We creatives think alike! This is almost exactly what I made for my Gorilla Glue project. Not exactly, but the candle sticks part is the same! You'll see it on Thursday.

92. Traci @ Beneath My Heart on November 2, 2009 at 4:35 am

That turned out great! Good job!

93. Jenglamgirl on November 2, 2009 at 4:33 am

SO CUTE AND CREATIVE AND ADORABLE! i LOVE IT!

94. Room to Inspire on November 2, 2009 at 4:25 am

Okay Ladies, I have seriously been trying to come up with a creative way of "making" a stand just like this! And I kept getting stumped when it came to the actual tray portion – the hat boxes are brilliant! Love it.

Chelsea

95. Chris on November 2, 2009 at 4:21 am

Are you serious? This is such a great idea! I've got a million of those hat boxes in my basement, and I know exactly what I'm going to do with them. Thanks for the great tutorial!