Whitney’s Wannabe Antique Cake Stand

Hey Guys!! I spent my weekend with the fam in Lubbock and made it home just in time to share my next project with you.  A few weeks ago I saw a picture of an antique cake stand in a magazine and was instantly inspired to copy… although this shanty is far from antique:)  Here’s what I did…
I started by purchasing my supplies.  I found three great hat boxes at Hobby Lobby at 50% off.  I paid less than $12 for all three… woohoo!!
I also bought 2 unfinished wood candlesticks and a bag of 6 little candlesticks.  This picture shows 3… you only need 2.
I also had my Gorilla Glue Epoxy handy… Hot glue will not cut it on this project!  I had to pull out my big guns…
For this project I only used the tops of the hat boxes.  My first step was to glue my candlesticks to the tops.  I added glue to each candlestick and started building…
My little candlesticks became the feet for the bottom stand…
Still building…
I used another little candlestick for the top and glued an unfinished wood finial to it.  You can find these at Lowe’s on the trim aisle.
Now to add it to the top…
My next step was to get this baby one color!  My color of choice… Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint.  I took it out in the garage and gave it a couple of coats.
When my paint dried I was wanting this to appear antique, so I distressed the candlesticks using my 3M block sander…
I then used a Shanty Sisters favorite… Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze over the entire stand.  You just paint it on and wipe it off with a cloth.  You can leave as much on as you like to get the finish you like best.
Almost done…
I do love natural lighting for my photos so much better, but when you finish your project at 9:00pm that typically is not an option.  Sorry!
My final step was to dress it up.  I fought the urge to cover it in Christmas goodies!  But, I did “Winterize” it a bit.  I picked up some pine cones from a house down the street and added just a few walnuts on there as well.  The best part about this… You won’t have to hide this project in a closet 10 months out of the year!  It can be decorated for every season!  What do you think??
We are so, so, soooo excited about the party this week!!  Hope you guys have your posts ready! If you need more details on it you can click HERE.  Don’t forget to grab our button below and add it to your sidebar and post.  Just copy and paste it!  Thanks!!!

1. Sarah on November 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Awesome project. Would look great at a wedding too.

2. Beyond All Measure on November 2, 2009 at 6:43 pm

super sweet! LOVE it. I have some hat boxes that I am not using! I know exactly what to do with them (only my stand will be PINK!)

3. Lovely Scribbles on November 2, 2009 at 6:18 pm

This is so awesome! I'm always looking for creative ways to display cupcakes and other treats, plus I love doing crafts. This is perfect!!

4. Sherrie on November 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I can't believe you made that!!! I am so going to make one this week!! Thank you for your inspiration!!!
    Sherrie

5. Sherri S on November 2, 2009 at 4:53 pm

TOTALLY awesome! LOVE all of ya'lls ideas. You just KEEP amazing me. And giving me things to think about, make, do! I LOVE that! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents with all of us.

6. amie4Christ on November 2, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Oh my goodness! That is brilliant! I love your blog, you both are awesome and full of creative ideas!

7. The Mellberg Family on November 2, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Hey, I'm from Lubbock. I love your blog and all your great ideas. Will you please give us a tour of your home. The glimpses I get in the background of your pictures it looks gorgeous.

What part of the state do you live in now?

8. [email protected] on November 2, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Girls, JUST when I think you can't possibly do ANYTHING cuter you come up with this! Do you ever sleep, or does your mind just ROLL with ideas all night??? I think you 2 are fabulous!

9. ~ RM on November 2, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Ooh, I love it! I want to have more reddish accents- do you know of a good 'barn red' or something that doesn't scream 'firetruck'? All the reds I've tried are WAY too bright! If I find a good pait, I would love to make this in red. 🙂 Thanks for sharing~

10. [email protected] on November 2, 2009 at 2:35 pm

that is such a great project! i may have to try it out too.

11. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality on November 2, 2009 at 2:13 pm

You girls are good!! What a great project, love how it turned out. If I had room for one more stand, I'd make one of these for sure. Ya'll are a whirlwind of projects!

12. Julia Stainton on November 2, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I love this project! I have some hat boxes that need repurposing. Thanks!

13. [email protected] and Cheese on November 2, 2009 at 1:32 pm

This is such a great idea! I find these round boxes at the Goodwill all the time. I will start adding to my collection so I can try this project out. Thank You!!

14. Sarah on November 2, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Cute! I love this idea!!

15. Jane on November 2, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Fabulous project!! You know this one is going to be copied!! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Jane

16. Debilou~Mississippi Mama on November 2, 2009 at 12:25 pm

what do i think?? I think its just tooo cute for words, and i wanna make one for my table. Thanks for sharing all your tips and ideas..

17. Samantha2818 on November 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm

You never cease to amaze me. I thought I was creative but I am incompetent compared to you two! You seem to be able to turn anything at all into something amazing. I am speechless (for once!).

18. Liz Futch on November 2, 2009 at 11:54 am

I love your projects! They are so fun and always turn out fabulous!!

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Liz

19. duchess on November 2, 2009 at 11:24 am

Great idea! Hat box lids, plain candlesticks & gorilla glue, who knew?

20. Cindy on November 2, 2009 at 11:07 am

Well, I think you're a genius. That's what I think. :o)