Whitney’s Wannabe Antique Cake Stand

Hey Guys!! I spent my weekend with the fam in Lubbock and made it home just in time to share my next project with you.  A few weeks ago I saw a picture of an antique cake stand in a magazine and was instantly inspired to copy… although this shanty is far from antique:)  Here’s what I did…
I started by purchasing my supplies.  I found three great hat boxes at Hobby Lobby at 50% off.  I paid less than $12 for all three… woohoo!!
I also bought 2 unfinished wood candlesticks and a bag of 6 little candlesticks.  This picture shows 3… you only need 2.
I also had my Gorilla Glue Epoxy handy… Hot glue will not cut it on this project!  I had to pull out my big guns…
For this project I only used the tops of the hat boxes.  My first step was to glue my candlesticks to the tops.  I added glue to each candlestick and started building…
My little candlesticks became the feet for the bottom stand…
Still building…
I used another little candlestick for the top and glued an unfinished wood finial to it.  You can find these at Lowe’s on the trim aisle.
Now to add it to the top…
My next step was to get this baby one color!  My color of choice… Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint.  I took it out in the garage and gave it a couple of coats.
When my paint dried I was wanting this to appear antique, so I distressed the candlesticks using my 3M block sander…
I then used a Shanty Sisters favorite… Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze over the entire stand.  You just paint it on and wipe it off with a cloth.  You can leave as much on as you like to get the finish you like best.
Almost done…
I do love natural lighting for my photos so much better, but when you finish your project at 9:00pm that typically is not an option.  Sorry!
My final step was to dress it up.  I fought the urge to cover it in Christmas goodies!  But, I did “Winterize” it a bit.  I picked up some pine cones from a house down the street and added just a few walnuts on there as well.  The best part about this… You won’t have to hide this project in a closet 10 months out of the year!  It can be decorated for every season!  What do you think??
We are so, so, soooo excited about the party this week!!  Hope you guys have your posts ready! If you need more details on it you can click HERE.  Don’t forget to grab our button below and add it to your sidebar and post.  Just copy and paste it!  Thanks!!!

1. Stephanie on November 3, 2009 at 9:33 am

GORGEOUS!!! I love to entertain and have collected several cake plates over the years. This idea takes it to another level! Genius!!! I can not wait to make one – thanks for the inspiration!

2. Steph @ somewhatsimple on November 3, 2009 at 7:03 am

I love it!!!

3. Embellished Bayou on November 3, 2009 at 5:42 am

Another amazing project…why am I still surprised by your fabulous creativity?!!?

4. Tracy Suzanne on November 3, 2009 at 5:31 am

Brilliant!!! What a smart, creative and inexpensive idea. This looks wonderful and I love it with the pine cones. The aging is fabulous.

Have a great day…Tracy 🙂

P.S. In case I haven't alrady told you already, I'm hosting a fall giveaway. I hope you'll stop by and enter.

5. Lacie @ Creative Attempts on November 3, 2009 at 4:44 am

I can't tell you how much i love this you are amazingly talented!! thank you so much for sharing

6. Jenny on November 3, 2009 at 4:21 am

I love this project! You are so creative!

7. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions on November 3, 2009 at 3:28 am

This is so great! I was actually thinking of buying something like this to use at Christmas, and now I know that if I don't find anything I like {at a reasonable price}, I can make one.

8. Miss Mustard Seed on November 3, 2009 at 3:07 am

Very cute, girls! That is creative and it looks great. Well done.

9. Kimm at Reinvented on November 3, 2009 at 2:19 am

Holy cow, another fabulous idea. I absolutely love this!

10. Kimmy @ my beautifully blessed life on November 2, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Oh my word!! I always think you can't possibly wow me again with your projects, but you never cease to amaze me!!! I love this, thanks SO much for sharing!

11. Tamera on November 2, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Okay, I was a little skeptical at first…cake stand? really?
    Oh, how I love it! It looks great with the pinecones, too!
    thanks for sharing!
    [email protected]

12. sissie on November 2, 2009 at 10:54 pm

What a cool cake stand. And, thanks for the step-by-step how to.
    Now, what are you going to make with the bottom halves of the hat boxes????Bet you are thinking up an idea already. Can't wait to see it.

13. Kim on November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

@cheapchichome. Very creative. I've been wanting something like this–never would have thought of this. Great job, girls!

14. Denise on November 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm

That is just the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. Another thing that I wish I had thought of! Brilliant!

15. Sandy on November 2, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Great ideal, I have wanted to make one for a while but didn't know what to use. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

16. KirkKrew on November 2, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Love it! I will definitely be copying this!

17. Gina Sisco on November 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm

WAAAAY cool, you gals amaze me!

18. Om Kareem أم كريم on November 2, 2009 at 8:51 pm

This is great! I want to make one too! I love your blog, you two have amazing ideas.

19. Melissa on November 2, 2009 at 8:11 pm

That's awesome!! Thank you for sharing. Love it.

20. Cindy ~ My Romantic Home on November 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm

That is just amazing! So creative! I love it!!!