Whit’s Cheapo Jute Twine Ornaments

Hey guys!! Sorry for my brief break… I have been out of town with the fam for Thanksgiving.  I have spent the last week or so getting the tree up and planning how I would dress it.  This year I am in love with silver.  I have it all over the tree…  and I have found that I love balancing it with neutral tones and more rustic pieces.  I decided to make some jute twine ornaments…
Now I will show you how I did it…
I started by getting my materials together.  I used a small ply jute twine, hot glue gun, and an unfinished paper mache ornament.  All of these can be found at craft stores.  I found mine at Hobby Lobby but you can also find them at Michael’s and Joanns.
I started by gluing the twine to the top of the ornament.
Then, I wrapped it around and added dabs of hot glue as I went until I made it to the bottom of the ornament.
It was really easy as that!  I wanted to add a bit of sparkle for contrast so I found these great ornament hangers at Target for super cheap.  I just added one to it and I was finished…
Here’s a few on the tree although I find it so hard to take a good tree picture…
And a few more in a different shape with a larger ply twine…
Hope you guys like them!! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Don’t forget to get your projects ready for the Rust-Oleum Revamp party… It’s a week from today and you can get all the info by clicking the party button on our sidebar.  Hope everyone had a safe Thanksgiving and prepare yourself for LOTS more Shanty Christmas fun:)!!

The DIY Show Off

DIY Day @ ASPTL

post signature

1. kermiefrg on December 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I love the idea of the beaded ornament hanger. How pretty!

2. Sheri on December 3, 2009 at 3:28 pm

This is fun! What possibilities! Thanks for sharing. I've posted a link at childmade.com.

3. mkelton24 on December 2, 2009 at 4:19 am

Super cute! I love the natural texture of the thread used. I just made a couple of stockings that would look cute with these! hehe!

4. mkelton24 on December 2, 2009 at 4:19 am

5. Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage on December 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm

So pretty! I didn't know they made those ornament form thingies (don't ya just love my language). Now I just need to find some. Thanks for the great ideas! (Ya'll are always soooo clever!)

6. Andrea at Opulent Cottage on December 1, 2009 at 4:48 am

Super chic! I have a ton of friends who would love to get those with their Christmas gifts. Thanks for the inspiration ladies!
    Cheers, Andrea

7. Holly on December 1, 2009 at 4:25 am

That's really cute, and that hanger from Target is the perfect touch!

8. kirstin & jordan on December 1, 2009 at 3:08 am

ooh, I love these! they're fantastic!

9. kirstin & jordan on December 1, 2009 at 3:08 am

ooh, I love these! they're fantastic!

10. [email protected] Creations by Kara on November 30, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Very cute! Love how they look with the sparkly hangers. Perfect balance!

11. Darci & Devin Buhl on November 30, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I LOVE your ideas! So original. I made your JOY plaques and I am seriously in love with them. Everyone comments on how cute they are. Thank you so much for the clever idea!

12. Darci & Devin Buhl on November 30, 2009 at 4:52 pm

13. Debilou~Mississippi Mama on November 30, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I've got lots of balls bought on clearance last year.. think i'll give this a try on them. Thanks! Yours look great, love that hook on top.

14. Kasey @ A Blog by Me on November 30, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Great idea!

15. Christy on November 30, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I have recently started following your blog and I have to tell you, it is one of my favorites!!! You have inspired me with all of your projects that are fun, creative, simple and if I saw them in a store, I would totally buy them! I recently made my own version of your "JOY" plaques and burlap place mats. Thanks for all the great ideas using such inexpensive materials. Keep the ideas coming!!!

16. Cindy on November 30, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I bought those same ornaments to do the same thing! I found some really cute ornament hangers at the dollar store to use, but seeing yours I think I may add some sparkly beads to them as well. Come to think of it, the hangers look like your blog curlecues. 🙂
    Feel free to link up to my party today.
    peace.

17. 2sisters on November 30, 2009 at 5:16 am

They turned out darling. I love them. I do have a question, yall' use your hot glue a lot, and so do I. I however burn myself almost every time, not seriously, but it's still painful. Is that just the price for crafting with hot glue?
    teri

18. [email protected] Beneath My Heart on November 30, 2009 at 4:32 am

You guys are "crafting machines" I tell ya!

19. Sandy on November 30, 2009 at 4:21 am

Great ideal, you are such an inspiration.I need to try some of these. Since your into silvers this year, chech out my post, I did
    my outdoor decorating in nothing but silvers and whites. Let me know what you think. Thanks for sharing your great ideal.
    Sandy

20. Micah on November 30, 2009 at 3:50 am

Fabulous! You just keep inspiring me:)