Ruffled Drop Cloth Stockings!!

Hey guys!! Thanks to all of you who left sweet comments on my drop cloth tree skirt HERE.  Now I want to show you what I made with the rest of my drop cloth….
I made my stockings to match my tree skirt! Here’s how I did it…
I started by using a stocking I bought at the Dollar Tree as my pattern.  I folded my fabric in half and cut the fabric around it.  I knew I wanted it a bit longer so I added about 4 inches to the top and I also wanted them a bit skinnier so I didn’t leave any seam allowance.
Next I finished the top of each piece by folding it over about an inch and straight stitching.  I must add at this point that if I were making clothing or anything else I would finish the inside a bit more professionally but I knew nobody would see the inside and it saved me lots of time:).
Now for my ruffles…. Woohoo!  I started by cutting a long strip of my drop cloth about 3″ wide.  I then ran each side through my serger using a rolled hem.  I had lots of messages from you on figuring out how to use your own sergers.  I was the same way… at first!  Once you figure out how to thread the darn thing it is much easier than your sewing machine and you will wonder why you waited so long to try it! Promise!
I then used my handy ruffler again on my sewing machine to run a stitch straight down the center of the strip.  I love the outcome…
I then started attaching the ruffles to the front of one of my stocking patterns I cut. I did this by running a simple straight stitch over the ruffle stitch.  The ruffler can ruffle your top fabric and attach it to your bottom piece at the same time, but not when working with heavier weight materials.
I added three lines of ruffles and then I was happy… almost:)
I decided the bottom of the stocking was a bit naked so I dressed it up a bit.
My tool of choice… My Cricut Personal Cutter
I used one of my FAV Cricut cartridges out there…
And here she is in action cutting my damask on stencil paper…
Too easy!  You can check out the Cricut machine HERE see other great products Provo Craft offers!
I then used my stencil brush with some black acrylic paint to stencil my damask on a small piece of drop cloth.  You always want to dab your brush up and down and not side to side to get the best outcome.
While that was drying I cut another small strip of drop cloth to make my loopie.  I just folded into thirds and ironed it down to make it flat.
Then I used a black zigzag stitch on top to hold it all together and to make it extra cute!
I then also ran a zigzag stitch around the edge of my damask.
And frayed the edges a bit…
Next I attached my two stocking forms together… good sides in of course.  I just ran a straight stitch around the entire edge.
Before I flipped it…
Clipped my curves a bit to help it keep it’s shape…
Finally I attached the stencil patch I made with hot glue.  I debated sewing it but quickly decided that would be much faster… and it was:)
Want to see the final outcome….
Now…  The very best part (aside from the ruffles) is that I paid $9 for this drop cloth and have already made my tree skirt and stockings.  How’s that for shanty!  What do you think??  Thanks so much and as always, let me know if you have any questions!
I will be linking up over at Hooked on Houses for the Holiday House Tour!!!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

post signature

1. VickiT on November 13, 2010 at 1:39 am

I know this an old entry but, I just had to say how adorable this is. What a great idea too in using the drop cloth fabric. I found your blog through Sew Mama Sew where the tree skirt was being shown today and then I wandered a bit and saw the matching stocking too. Love them both.

2. Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust on August 1, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I can't believe the fun you have with drop cloths! Very creative. And I love these stockings. I enjoyed visiting your fun blog.

Warmly, Michelle

3. Laura on December 22, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Awsome! I might have to try these for next year! Too cute!

4. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest on December 18, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Fabulous! But then I would expect nothing less!!

5. Jan on December 18, 2009 at 3:20 am

Gorgeous! A little advice for people hanging a stocking by the fire: Don't do a hot glue shortcut. My son has a cute stocking with buttons hot glued on it, and throughout the Christmas season, we pick up all the buttons from the hearth that have sagged and melted off the stocking. One of these days I'll actually SEW them back on! πŸ™‚

6. Cha Cha on December 16, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Love it, I have been wanting to make stockings but didn''t know what, now I DO!!!! Thanks.
    GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS.

7. Michelle on December 16, 2009 at 2:58 pm

You are so creative! Love the three layered ruffle. Now if I could only learn to sew…

8. Colleen @ MuralMaker&More on December 16, 2009 at 6:36 am

I'm going nuts here. First, I have all kinds of drop cloths (being a painter). Second, I have a Cricut which I've been too intimidated to use much. I never dreamed of using stencil acetate on it. My mind is reeling with ideas!

9. Ashley @ AshleysBusy on December 15, 2009 at 4:17 pm

omg, I love ruffles! Such cute stockings!

10. Angie @ The Shabby Chic Cottage on December 15, 2009 at 3:02 pm

They look great!! πŸ™‚

11. casserole on December 15, 2009 at 2:20 pm

This is fabulous!! I featured your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

12. Troy on December 15, 2009 at 4:29 am

And the bigger I make my stocking, the more coal I will have on Christmas day!

Looks like a fun project!

13. Randi on December 15, 2009 at 3:45 am

Where do you come up with these ideas?? That's perfect … I love it!

14. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions on December 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm

This is so pretty just with the ruffles, but the stencil looks great on here!

15. Nancy @ La Chambre Rose on December 14, 2009 at 2:52 am

I'm in love…the fabric, the style, the colors!

16. 2sisters on December 14, 2009 at 1:59 am

That is darling!!! I am eagerly awaiting finishing Christmas projects so I can start on a drop cloth project that I have wanted to do.
    teri

17. Rachel@oneprettything.com on December 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Wow, this is the prettiest use for a drop cloth ever, I love it! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

18. Jen R. on December 13, 2009 at 5:46 am

That is adorable!!!

19. Hopeful Housewife on December 13, 2009 at 12:43 am

Hi Ladies! Just wanted to let you know I featured your blog & your shop over at my blog today. Merry Christmas!

20. BLJ Graves Studio on December 12, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Fabulous!!! Love it. πŸ™‚

21. Funky Junk Interiors on December 12, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Sweet! I'll take about 8 for that overstuffed white stocking look I'm dying to try. May I have them yesterday?!? (sigh)

They have a little bavarian twist to them that make them look so charming.

Thanks for linking up!

FJ Donna

22. Kimm at Reinvented on December 12, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Adorable! I just loooove the ruffles.

23. kermiefrg on December 12, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Adorable! What a cute idea!

24. Jeanette on December 12, 2009 at 1:38 am

You are so talented! You amaze me every time I check your blog.

25. Frippery on December 12, 2009 at 12:27 am

No words, just fabulous!!

26. michelle@somedaycrafts on December 11, 2009 at 11:24 pm

gorgeous again!!! Featured at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

27. snowman hill on December 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Way to cute! I love it! I might have to tackle something similar. Thanks for sharing-
    Krista

28. Debilou~Mississippi Mama on December 11, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Looks amazing. Love the ruffles.

29. From Marriage to Motherhood on December 11, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Oh man! How I WISH I could sew! : (

30. Ellenay Designs on December 11, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I love this! How cool is that to make your own stocking from a drop cloth? I'm amazed at your creativity!

31. Kim @ NewlyWoodwards on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I love this.

I absolutely went to the hardware store after seeing your tree skirt last week, bought a drop cloth and made my own. I'll post it (with credit to you for inspiration of course) next week. I think it turned out pretty well. I ended up buying the 5×5 square cloth for $4.00, which was the perfect amount for the skirt and ruffle. =)

32. Shannon Rodriguez on December 11, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I was planning on trying to make the stockings from Ballard's. I can't decide if I should use my dropcloth or burlap.
    Hopefully soon I will get the time!

33. Teri on December 11, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Please tell me you are making some for your etsy shop????? πŸ™‚

34. Tammy@InStitches on December 11, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I'm tired of my stockings ! I think I'll be making some new ones this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration !!!

35. Sarah on December 11, 2009 at 1:09 pm

These are just the cutest thing ever! Found out I am getting a sewing machine for Christmas and couldn't be happier–you have given me tons of inspiration!

36. Judy @ In His Grip on December 11, 2009 at 12:52 pm

This is so good. Seriously, I neve considered using my cricut for a stencil. I only use what has been cut out not the opposite. I even have this same cartridge. Love it! Thanks for new ideas and what you do here. I check you out everyday and you never disappoint!

37. Sue on December 11, 2009 at 10:20 am

Another adorable project from a very talented lady! This is so cute.
    πŸ™‚ Sue

38. Candace on December 11, 2009 at 6:42 am

Way too cute! I'm going to figure out that rolled hem!:)

39. Kim on December 11, 2009 at 6:25 am

So cute! I think I need to get a serger. I'm not sure why I haven't except that I seem to manage with just my sewing machine.

40. Jennifer Dawn on December 11, 2009 at 5:56 am

Cute stocking. Thanks for the tutorial.

41. pk on December 11, 2009 at 5:33 am

pk @ Room Remix

I'm loving the ruffles – very cute. Great job!

42. Michelle@Sweet Something on December 11, 2009 at 4:55 am

I love this! Really cute and seems really simple!

43. Goings on at the Glenn's on December 11, 2009 at 4:52 am

very very cute! I love the stencil patch! I also love the idea of matching your tree skirt with the stockings. That might get a little dangerous over here though. I'd have a different set for every other year I think.

44. Country Wings in Phoenix on December 11, 2009 at 4:44 am

Whitney sweetie…
    These are just adorable. You have really outdone yourself, and none of the dropcloth was wasted. How devine is that? I just love it.

Thank you so much for sharing. One of these days I hope to get myself one of these sergers. I would so love to have one. Not in the budget yet, but someday. Your stenciling is precious and completes this stocking to a "T".

Have a beautiful evening. Please stop by for a visit. I would so love the company.

Country hugs sweetie…Sherry

45. Marsha's Mpressions on December 11, 2009 at 4:27 am

Just adorable!

46. KirkKrew on December 11, 2009 at 3:41 am

As always – you amaze me!!! I wish I had half the creativity/ability that you and Ashley have! At least I can call you family!

47. Tales From My Empty Nest on December 11, 2009 at 3:38 am

Your stocking is adorable!!! I am going to have to try making something out of the dropcloths. They work up really nice. Love & blessings from NC!

48. One Cheap B*tch on December 11, 2009 at 3:21 am

I want one! =)

49. Traci@ Beneath My Heart on December 11, 2009 at 3:13 am

Whitney-girl…you rock to high heaven! I am soooo lovin' that stocking. And I am dying to learn how to use my serger so I can try some of this stuff. If I lived in TX, I would so be having you over to my house for a "sew your socks off" party. Great job as always.
    Have a great weekend,
    Traci

50. LouLou@thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com on December 11, 2009 at 3:00 am

I love using my serger to do rolled hems….easy peasy… I don't have a ruffler YET…. I want one SO badly. I KNOW it would be worth it….

I do have one question:
    Do you gals ever sleep?? Seriously. You must be crafting 24/7 to come up with all this stuff! πŸ˜‰

51. Karen on December 11, 2009 at 2:53 am

Another awesome idea!! Can I come play at your house? I would love to be as creative as your are. Loving your ideas.

52. Rachelle on December 11, 2009 at 2:21 am

Ahhhh, I need a sewing machine! πŸ™‚

Love love love.

Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

Rachelle

53. Beth@The Stories of A to Z on December 11, 2009 at 2:21 am

Whitney. Seriously? You ladies are amazing. This is gorgeous. I'm all about transforming drop cloths into things, but this takes the cake…or the sock as the case may be. I love it.

54. alice on December 11, 2009 at 1:51 am

Great show and tell! Thanks!
    smiles, alice