Shanty Wreath Hangers

Hi all!  So, we have been dying to share with you a fun project that we created for our friends at Gorilla Glue.  Last month they asked us to create a fun winter project, with a tutorial, to share with their Tough Team Members.  It is now up for viewing on their Tough Team Page HERE but we are also going to share our tutorial here with you all!

Here are the supplies needed to make your own!
1 large unfinished wood plaque

1 wood spindle
1 unfinished wood final
1 iron hook
1 small unfinished wood plaque
Gorilla Glue Epoxy
Now let’s create!!!!
We started by drilling a hole in the top of each spindle.
Next, we mixed the Gorilla Glue Epoxy (with the applicator) and spread it over the top of the spindle. Then screw the finial into the top of the spindle
Spread Gorilla Glue Epoxy on the bottom of the finial and attach to the center of the large unfinished wood plaque.
Then, we spray painted the wreath hanger and the small unfinished wood plaque.  We choose our favorite Heirloom White by Rust-Oleum!
We distressed the edges and corners with our 3M sanding blocks
and then painted on Minwax Dark Walnut stain on the distressed areas.
A little Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze love (paint on ~ wipe off) and it’s time for the final details!
Drill the iron hook on to the small unfinished wood plaque, screw the plaque on to the wreath hanger and finish off with a fun winter wreath!

What better way to welcome the winter than with a decorative wreath hanger! These were so easy, inexpensive and can be used throughout the year ~ the best kind of DIY!
Tutorials on the wreaths coming soon!!!!!!

1. Melanie on May 11, 2010 at 5:51 am

Love it! Just finished my FIRST one- already have the stuff to make another one. Here is a pic and an Ode to Shanty2Chic!

2. Vanessa on January 13, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I really enjoyed this project. Thanks SO much for posting it.

3. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest on December 21, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Such a cute idea!

4. Katarzyna on December 20, 2009 at 2:45 am

Such a great Idea!!! Love it!

5. Miss G on December 18, 2009 at 12:50 am

fantastic! thanks so much for sharing! kelly

6. Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents on December 11, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Beautiful! Great use for spindles and plaques! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Please come visit all my holiday home posts as I've linked to a few parties, too!

Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

7. Lamp Tramp on December 11, 2009 at 3:40 am

Love your wreath hangers…so creative and you make it look so easy! You girls are so talented and I love seeing the awesome things you come up with!
    xoxo!

8. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions on December 8, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Love it! What a great gift idea for someone who does wreaths all year, too!

9. heidi on December 8, 2009 at 3:50 am

Oooh, I love this!! Thanks for sharing!

10. Miss Mustard Seed on December 8, 2009 at 3:14 am

Those wreath hangers are such a great idea! It's nice that you can palce it anywhere, not jsut on a door or wall. You are two clever girls.

11. Devon on December 7, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Love this! Absolutely beautiful! Just wondering if you could do something similar in a stocking hanger? But how to get the weight you would need…. 🙂 Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Patriotic Mom on December 4, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I love it and love hanging wreaths. I have a wrought iron wreath hanger but want to try this one too. I wish you had added where you purchase your materials. I cannot wait to see what else you make. I posted your link on my facebook page so that my friends will go to your site too!

13. myrepurposedlife.blogspot.com on December 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I really love this idea! thanks for such a great tutorial!
    gail

14. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) on December 3, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Oh this is so clever and what a great idea. It looks just stunning. Thanks also for the wonderful tutorial. It really helps to see how things are done. I hope you will be joining us for hte "Holiday Cloche Party". I will have Mr. Linky up tonight. See you there. Hugs, Marty

15. sweetjeanette on December 3, 2009 at 5:42 am

I absolutely love the wreath holder!!!! Can I be on your Christmas list??? LOL

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

16. Teri on December 3, 2009 at 5:27 am

Love the wreath hangers! Great job!

17. once in a blue moon... on December 3, 2009 at 5:27 am

super idea!

18. Lana K. W. Austin on December 3, 2009 at 3:40 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I've absolutely been thrilled by everything you two ladies have been doing. I am new to blogland…and please don't think I've been stalkin' ya'll, but I'm going to do an "Ode To S2C" in an upcoming blog because ya'll have been so inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll email more info on me later…but suffice it to say that I'm a retired (HA! Retired a few years ago & now am only 38–I wanted to have babies!!) Christian musician (on indie label, but had the AWESOME blessing of being produced by Barlow Girl's producer/recording w/ DC Talk folks, etc. )and am still a journalist/artist/songwriter/designer. You guys are truly one of my FAVE sites.
    MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU!
    Love, hugs and turquoise joy,
    Lana

19. Yvonne @ StoneGable on December 3, 2009 at 3:35 am

I flaged this post. I am going make this a group project. These would make a fabulous gift. I just love your tutorials. They are very well done. Thank you so much for your great gifts of fun projects!
    Yvonne

20. Yellow Rose Arbor on December 3, 2009 at 2:51 am

Thanks for the tutorial! I like all of them!

Katherine

21. Martha on December 3, 2009 at 2:34 am

How clever!

22. Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage on December 3, 2009 at 2:27 am

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the wreath tutorial, too!

23. Debilou~Mississippi Mama on December 2, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I love this,, amazing what can be created with just a few items and an imagination.. thanks for sharing

24. Jamie Hamblin on December 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Have you posted how to do the cording staple for re-upholstering furniture?

25. melissa * 320 Sycamore on December 2, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Oh my goodness..did you see that your JOY plaques WON over at Michaels??? Congratulations!

26. Lovely Scribbles on December 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm

This is yet another great project! I just can't get enough of your creative ideas. Love it! Pssst…I left a little something for you over on my blog on yesterday's post. 🙂

27. Amanda on December 2, 2009 at 2:53 pm

total cuteness!!!

28. Kari @ Ucreate on December 2, 2009 at 6:53 am

This is AMAZING! I really LOVE this!!

29. steffany on December 2, 2009 at 4:45 am

Love it, LOVE IT! I can't wait to try it.

30. asnipofgoodness on December 2, 2009 at 4:28 am

I really like this one, and I might just try it myself, thanks for sharing!

31. Virginia's Looking Glass on December 2, 2009 at 2:18 am

I just got all my stuff for the magnetic recipe holder now I have to go back out again!!! 🙂
    Keep the projects coming, as long as I can afford gas in my car and all my "no really I found it lying around in the garage" supplies, I will keep building! Learned to use the chopsaw this weekend! 🙂 LOVE your ideas…love them!!!!!

32. Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous on December 2, 2009 at 1:18 am

Love those wreath hangers! Total winner!
    Linda

33. Hopeful Housewife on December 2, 2009 at 12:51 am

I love this idea! You girls never cease to amaze me!

34. Sharon on December 2, 2009 at 12:48 am

What a great idea! wouldn't that be pretty beside the fire place.

35. sleepyhead designs studio on December 2, 2009 at 12:21 am

So cute-could even do a smaller version for a centerpiece. Yall are so creative!

36. sleepyhead designs studio on December 2, 2009 at 12:21 am

37. One Cheap B*tch on December 2, 2009 at 12:10 am

As always love them and you make it look so darn easy!

38. Blondie's Journal on December 1, 2009 at 11:46 pm

What a really neat idea!! Sure frees up wall space!

xoxo
    Jane

39. Sarah on December 1, 2009 at 11:46 pm

You girls have done it again! Another terrific project that I'd love to make. Thanks for the great inspiration!

40. Sandy on December 1, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Thanks so much for the wonderful ideal. And I think I have everything I need to make one stored away. The wreaths are also unique and very beautiful, Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

41. Jenny on December 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm

These are awesome!

42. Tiffany on December 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Love, love, love it!!

43. Tricia Anne on December 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I HAVE to make one of these! This will be a perfect project for after the holidays. :o) I love it!
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

44. Barbara Jean on December 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm

this is awesome. talk about shabby!

it looks like the gorilla glue epoxy comes out to miss itself.
    Is that so?

I have not even looked at it beacuae i though no way to mixing epoxy!

does this glue puff up like the other gorilla glue?

thanks for help

barbara jean

45. Barbara Jean on December 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm

this is awesome. talk about shabby!

it looks like the gorilla glue epoxy comes out to miss itself.
    Is that so?

I have not even looked at it beacuae i though no way to mixing epoxy!

does this glue puff up like the other gorilla glue?

thanks for help

barbara jean

46. Elise on December 1, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Oh my stars!!!! Love it, probably the most of all your wonderful projects. I've been wanting a wreath holder for a while, but I'm cheap. Sooo love this, and I think I have most of the items I need!!
    By the way, my friend, Jen, at Lipstick and Laundry sent the link. She's awesome like that.
    Elise

47. TheFancyFritter on December 1, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Ok! I love ya'll! I have so many projects from ya'll that I want to try! I'm doing the recipe holders now for Christmas gifts but this could be a good one too!! Love it!

48. AnneYarbs79 on December 1, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Those are DARLING! Off to the Hob Lob, I go! :0)

49. Kasey on December 1, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Super cute!

50. ~ RM on December 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Very good ideas! I will have to put this in the "future project" file!!

51. Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry on December 1, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I have been searching for a tutorial on a wreath hanger forever… Thank you for posting, I love it!

52. Misty on December 1, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I love it all!!! You amaze me!!!!!

53. Cyndi on December 1, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the tutorials. Your site has quickly turned into one of my favorites!

54. Cindy on December 1, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I made tall candle pillars using the same kind of materials….got the spindles from the ReStore.

Looks super cute girls!

55. thegatheringplacedesign on December 1, 2009 at 6:20 pm

I actually made one of these last year, but yours is so much cuter! I love the hook. You've inspired me to embellish mine up a bit. Thanks! BTW I mentioned you in my blog today 🙂

56. Coleman Family on December 1, 2009 at 6:12 pm

How you come up with things, I do not know! L-O-V-E the wreath hanger! And what a great homemade Christmas gift, you could totally use that year-round! Thanks for the great ideas!