Whitney’s Drop Cloth Tree Skirt

Hello guys!! Hope everyone is having a great Friday.  We have had a fun week… It actually snowed here. Because this only happens about once every two years we were a bit excited!  Now to my project… I finally got sick of staring at the base holding my tree up.  I have had this planned in my head for a few weeks so I finally busted out the sewing machine.  Here’s what I did…
I used a 9×12 drop cloth from Lowe’s for my fabric.  This is larger than I needed but I will use the rest for an upcoming project.
I then used a $1 tree skirt I purchased at the Dollar Tree for my pattern.   I wanted mine just a bit larger so I added about two inches all around.
Then I cut my strips for my super cute ruffles… I cut 4 strips that were each 9′ long.
I wanted to do a fun edge rather than a usual hem so I decided to do a rolled hem using my serger.  You just run your fabric through and it does the rest… woohoo! If any of you want some tips on a rolled hem, you know where to find me.
Now to introduce you all to my favorite foot 🙂  This is my ruffler.  For those of you with a sewing machine that do not own one of these… it’s time to ask Santa.  This baby makes a ruffle in no time and had adjustments so you can pick how full you want it.
So I spent about 2 minutes running 12 yards of fabric through my ruffler and I was finished.  This is what my ruffle looked like before I attached it around the edge of the skirt.
I then attached my 12 yards of ruffles to my circle piece using a straight stitch.
I finished my raw edge where the skirt is cut to fit around the tree and added two pieces of twine for the ties.  My final step was to cover up the shanty tree stand and then take a bunch of pictures:) What do you think?? Not too shanty for $9 and 30 minutes I think!

1. Sue on March 1, 2015 at 9:50 am

I absolutely think that is cute as a button. I am going to try to make one. I went to stencil on some old-fashioned Christmas designs. Thank you for your wonderful idea and the directions on how to make it. And don’t worry about it anybody’s comments you did a beautiful job thank you

2. N B on December 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Hi you said you used a 9×12 but the picture shows a 6×9. Which size drop cloth did you use?

3. sarah on October 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I’m guessing you’ve been asked before! Bu,t what is your paint color? I love it!

4. speestalp on November 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm

promanade pharmacy riverdale georgia http://trustonlinedrugstore.com/products/alavert.htm lifecheck pharmacy

5. Danie on September 25, 2010 at 5:34 am

Just wanted to let you know I featured your tree skirt photo on my drop cloth post here…

Thanks for the inspiration!

6. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest on December 21, 2009 at 6:09 pm

It's perfect!

7. ~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ on December 15, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Love the natural look of the canvas under the tree. How cool. Beautiful tree.

8. Rita Kent at TesoroFino.Com on December 15, 2009 at 12:36 am

Ok by the amount of comments you've received, you've got to already know that you've outdone yourself on this lovely tree skirt!

9. Heather on December 14, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Wow, what a great idea!! Thanks for sharing your tip!! Merry Christmas!

10. 6p00e3933556758834 on December 14, 2009 at 5:37 pm

What a beautiful tree skirt! Thank you for sharing. This has been added to my "things I want to do but will probably never get to list… " though I hope that I actually get to it before next Christmas!

11. Triana Ord on December 14, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I absolutely adore this idea!!! you're so creative! Thanks for sharing! So glad I came across your blog in the party!

12. A Hint of Home on December 14, 2009 at 3:30 am

Turned out great and looks wonderful on the tree.

13. The Style Sister on December 13, 2009 at 4:38 am

I am soooo loving the skirt!!! Wow it looks so good! So dang creative you two are!

I am hosting a chocolate giveaway on my blog…stop on by to enter.

Karin

14. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality on December 13, 2009 at 3:11 am

Hey, Shanty girls!! I adore that skirt you made, it is genius. Thanks for joining the party!

15. Tricia on December 12, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Hi there girls.
    I'm adding this tut. to my Inspire My Saturday post. Thanks so much for sharing. It's lovely.

XO*Tricia

16. Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good on December 12, 2009 at 2:05 am

Oh now I need to add a sewing machine to my Christmas list! I think this skirt is absolutely fabulous. I love the ruffles! We had snow in Houston and of course everything shut down here. Merry Christmas!

17. Merrie on December 12, 2009 at 12:24 am

Love it. Pure simple perfection.

18. michelle@somedaycrafts on December 11, 2009 at 11:23 pm

love it! Featured at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

19. Megan @ Megity's Handmade on December 11, 2009 at 6:41 am

MUST HAVE THIS! I'm sure I could make it, but don't want to take the time. Will you make it for me?? 🙂

20. Jennifer Dawn on December 11, 2009 at 5:58 am

Love it! And I need a tree skirt too! I think I know what kind I am going to make. 🙂

21. Shelia on December 11, 2009 at 2:31 am

You did a super job on your tree skirt! The ruffle just makes it! I had a ruffler once for my sewing machine – but I burned it up making a ruffle for my mother to put on a bedspread she's made! I never bought another one.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

22. Rue on December 10, 2009 at 5:22 pm

That skirt is adorable! If only I could sew… darn it!

rue

23. Sandy on December 10, 2009 at 12:23 pm

LOVE the tree skirt. It really adds a lot to the tree. Cute, cute!!

24. PaulaDawn on December 9, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Great idea. I have one of those rufflers for my machine, if I could only figure out how to use the thing!!! I just can't seem to get it right, but seeing your results I am going to try again.

25. ~Rhen @yestheyareallmine on December 9, 2009 at 2:54 pm

What a fabulous idea and even better outcome. Beautiful!

26. astarterhouse on December 9, 2009 at 1:52 am

That is absolutely beautiful! As silly as it seems, I had never considered sewing my own tree skirt, you've truly inspired me! Thanks for sharing:)

27. astarterhouse on December 9, 2009 at 1:52 am

28. Karen on December 8, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Love the tree skirt. In case no one knows you can sew and ruffle in one step, give it a try!! I think your blog is great!!

29. Rowanmayfairs on December 8, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I love your tree skirt !

I wanted to try a patchwork tree skirt, but your idea looks MUCH MUCH SIMPLIER !

30. casserole on December 8, 2009 at 2:48 pm

What a lovely tree skirt!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

31. do it yourselfer on December 8, 2009 at 1:52 pm

luv this skirt…and now i know what to ask for christmas…a ruffler? who knew! thx!

32. sweetjeanette on December 8, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I love this!!!! It's beautiful – and I'm all about ruffles!!!! Those tree skirts (out there!) are so expensive, and this is the perfect frugal-yet-elegant project!

Christmas Goodies Recipe Exchange

33. Invited In on December 8, 2009 at 11:50 am

So cute! I have been wanting to make one for a while now…..just needed someone to show me how:) Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Melissa

34. Jess on December 8, 2009 at 11:08 am

~Love~
    What can't you use a drop cloth for? Great idea!

35. jenjen on December 8, 2009 at 6:29 am

I love the ruffles. Darling. So so cute!

XOXO
    Jen

36. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating on December 8, 2009 at 4:19 am

This is, without a doubt, my favorite project I've ever seen on here. Amazing! You've inspired me. I've had a serger sitting in my closet for about three years now, and have never learned to use it. It's time to learn…if for no other reason than those ruffles!!

37. Richella on December 8, 2009 at 3:35 am

This is really cool. . . Fun and chic AND functional! Good for you!

38. Beth@The Stories of A to Z on December 8, 2009 at 3:16 am

It's totally cute. Love it.

39. kirstin & jordan on December 8, 2009 at 3:06 am

I love this on so many levels!

40. kirstin & jordan on December 8, 2009 at 3:06 am

I love this on so many levels!

41. Always Inspire on December 8, 2009 at 2:54 am

I absolutely LOVE this! It's gorgeous, you did an amazing job!

42. Jen on December 7, 2009 at 7:22 pm

I am speechless that is such a gorgeous tree skirt!!

43. Kari @ Ucreate on December 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Whitney! This is so AMAZING!!

44. Destination Seaborn on December 7, 2009 at 5:02 am

You girls are "sew" creative! Projects like this is why I am teaching myself to sew…I love this tree skirt! Just beautiful!

45. Nancy @ La Chambre Rose on December 7, 2009 at 4:41 am

Excellent. You know it's good when:

Okay, it is official…I want a NEW sewing machine that actually sews without the thread breaking! I'm asking poor Santa for one. Of course, I want a ruffler, too.

46. Kimm at Reinvented on December 6, 2009 at 11:10 pm

So cute! I love it. I have already asked/begged Santa for a sewing machine, do you get the ruffler thingy separately?

47. Andie on December 6, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Oh I love it! I've GOT to figure out the rolled hem on my surger. A drop cloth may be in my tree's future.

48. Traci@ Beneath My Heart on December 6, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Whitney! I love it! You know I love dropcloths! I love the ruffle so much. It looks gorg.
    Mom told me she wanted me to have her sewing machine and serger before she passed away. I am so thrilled to have them, but I don't know how to use the serger yet. I am hoping to figure it out after Christmas when things settle down. I know it will save me tons of time. Great job girl!
    Traci

49. Aja on December 6, 2009 at 4:13 pm

OMG, this is adorable!! I LOVE the ruffles! I had no idea there was such a thing as a ruffler foot, but I am adding it to my Christmas list!

50. Fawn@Party of Five on December 6, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Super cute! Love the ruffles!

51. Tori on December 6, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I so love this!! What a great job!
    Super chic!

52. Happy Nester on December 6, 2009 at 1:32 pm

It turned out so wonderful, I wish I had better sewing skills:) Beautiful tree. Beautiful tree skirt.

53. ♥ Karla ♥ on December 6, 2009 at 4:49 am

That is such a great idea! I strongly dislike the tree skirt we have now… it is more then aweful! I may have to sew one of these and wrap it up as a gift along with the ruffle footer… is there one available for regular sewing machines too, I am guessing yes. I will have to scope it out. Thanks for sharing! I love it!!

54. Jaimie on December 6, 2009 at 4:31 am

I don't know anything about sewing machines. But yours looks great. Wow! : ) The skirt looks really great with your tree.

55. Tricia Anne on December 6, 2009 at 1:38 am

Okie dokie! I am still a bit new to sewing and let me tell you … that ruffle foot will be on my list. Maybe not until my bday in May … but it will find it's way onto my list! :o)
    I just posted a question on my blog. If you have a change can you help me? Thanks! Trish

56. Stephanie Lynn on December 6, 2009 at 1:02 am

OK ~ I want to give you a big hug! I am going tomorrow to buy THE RUFFLER!! I have never heard of one – though I am just a self taught girl with a sewing machine! Thanks so much for posting and your tree and tree skirt look fabulous! Happy Holidays!

57. ROSE VINE COTTAGE on December 6, 2009 at 12:59 am

Wow I love the tree skirt and you made it sound and look so easy!
    Hugs~Kelly

58. Kim on December 6, 2009 at 12:04 am

Just darling! I wish I would have thought of it.
    @cheapchichome.blogspot.com

59. Tammy of Yarborough House on December 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Love it. I have a serger and have never used it- I am afraid of it I guess. Might have to learn now. And the ruffler- never heard of one and I have sewn forever. Does it work on any machine?

thanks for sharing all your projects but seriously – how do you find the time to do so many cool things?
    tammy

60. Tammy of Yarborough House on December 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm

tammy

61. elisabeth bova on December 5, 2009 at 9:56 pm

love it! love the ruffle. this would be great done in burlap too. beautiful tree!

62. sissie on December 5, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Wow! I gotta get me one of them thingees! Makes ruffles that fast, get out of here!
    I love your tree skirt and who would have thought to use a drop cloth! Thanks for sharing.

63. Kim @ NewlyWoodwards on December 5, 2009 at 6:06 pm

A ruffler?????? I need one. Now.

THanks for the inspiration. It's on my to-do list to make a tree skirt for my tree. I may be shamelessly copying your idea. =)

64. Lily's Pad and Petals... on December 5, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I wish I could sew like that – I am in absolute awe of this tree skirt and your skills.
    Sylvia

65. Pat & Ron Harris on December 5, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I love your tree skirt! I don't have a serger so I think it might be too much of a project for me to do it by hand! tee hee. That hand gathering is not my thing, not with my artritic fingers! Anyway, I love it. It's beautiful. thank you for visiting junkblossoms! I hope you'll visit again soon. Merry Christmas! Pat

66. Pat & Ron Harris on December 5, 2009 at 4:34 pm

67. the7daggetts on December 5, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Oh, I love it!! Your tree looks beautiful! 🙂

68. Jill on December 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Cutest EVER!

69. Cindy (Applestone Cottage) on December 5, 2009 at 4:00 pm

That is good! I so love the skirt and could use one of those rufflers! Thanks for sharing, the tree looks beautiful! Cindy

70. The Whimsical Princess on December 5, 2009 at 3:54 pm

SOOOO Cute I need a ruffler too! I love sewing!

71. Mid Century Madam on December 5, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I love drop cloths. I use them for everything, including cheap drapes that look great. Love your tree. Beautiful.

72. Valerie on December 5, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I am so making this for my themed tree! What a fab idea! Filing this one at thecraftersfilebox.com.

Thanks for sharing!

73. Heather@PixieDust on December 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

that's so cute!! i think i need a sewing machine…

74. Mom 2 Dom & Gigi on December 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I have my Grandma's old Singer. So old it only does a straight stitch and is has a sep foot for doing a zig-zag. LOL. It came with a box full of special feet and I am thinking that a ruffler is one of them. I am going to have to do some experimenting once the Christmas season is over.
    Thanks for the Inspiration.

• Peggy on November 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm

The ruffler will look kinda like a dinosaur. Your grandmothers machine probably did come with one, I have my grandmothers old tredle and it came with one. If not you can get one, but it has to be the one for your machine. So have the modle number and brand name. I love mine and if you don’t have a serger, you could do a zig zag around the edge of both sides of the ruffle and then do your gather about an inch in from one side and then topstitch throught the gather stitches to the skirt, it would have a small stand up ruffle on the skirt itself and also at the very edge like hers. it would be very cute and I think that is what I will do, using my serger to do a rolled hem on both sides of the ruffle.

75. Mom 2 Dom & Gigi on December 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the Inspiration.

76. Paula on December 5, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I think that this is my very favorite out of all of the great projects that you've posted. Love it! I've considered getting a ruffler foot and just have never done it. I may have to do so now! Great job!

77. Jeanette on December 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

You had me until I saw the sewing machine. What an incredible idea. Those ruffles are just beautiful.

78. House Elf on December 5, 2009 at 8:16 am

What a wonderful project – love the edge 🙂

79. steffany on December 5, 2009 at 7:36 am

Oh my goodness, that is so cute. Thanks for sharing.

80. Candace on December 5, 2009 at 7:02 am

Your tree skirt is super cute!! Why have I not ever heard of a ruffler foot?!? I need to go out and get one AND I need to figure out how to do the rolled hem on my serger! You gals come up with the best ideas!

81. Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage on December 5, 2009 at 6:59 am

I love this. So cute! It's times like this when I really wish I could sew.

82. Funky Junk Interiors on December 5, 2009 at 6:58 am

Oh my gosh… that is one killer ruffle. I had no idea a machine just DID that. Love the stitched detail on the edges!

Another wonderful invention! Thanks for linking it up!

FJ Donna

83. Darci & Devin Buhl on December 5, 2009 at 5:55 am

Okay, seriously? A ruffler? Why don't I know about this foot? I'm not much of a seamstress, but I really think I need that. Is there a technical name for it, or do I just ask for the ruffler foot at the fabric store?
    Love your tree skirt. I've been wanting a cuter one but haven't seen anything that I love. Yours is PERFECT! Thanks for sharing.

84. Darci & Devin Buhl on December 5, 2009 at 5:55 am

85. The Weathered Cottage on December 5, 2009 at 4:59 am

a RUFFLER??? i Must have one!! this is adorable btw.

86. Nori on December 5, 2009 at 4:54 am

that is so stinkin cute!!!
    that ruffler is a crazy attachment and i want one! i'm totally adding this to my Christmas list. :o)

87. mjs on December 5, 2009 at 4:51 am

Beautiful! Posting this project on Etsy for sale by chance? 😉

88. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden on December 5, 2009 at 4:45 am

I love sewing projects! I have a tree skirt that I like, but it would be so sweet with a ruffle. Thanks for the idea!

~Carolyn

89. april francom on December 5, 2009 at 4:39 am

That is darling…Great job!!

90. Country Wings in Phoenix on December 5, 2009 at 4:36 am

OMG..
    Shut Up..A ruffler that ruffled 12 yards in a snap. Santa we need to have a serious talk, I have been left out far to long. This skirt is just the sweetest thing ever. I love it. You did an outstanding job. Thank you so much for sharing.

Your tree looks absolutely beautiful. Country hugs, Sherry