Whitney’s Drop Cloth Tree Skirt

Hello guys!! Hope everyone is having a great Friday.  We have had a fun week… It actually snowed here. Because this only happens about once every two years we were a bit excited!  Now to my project… I finally got sick of staring at the base holding my tree up.  I have had this planned in my head for a few weeks so I finally busted out the sewing machine.  Here’s what I did…
I used a 9×12 drop cloth from Lowe’s for my fabric.  This is larger than I needed but I will use the rest for an upcoming project.
I then used a $1 tree skirt I purchased at the Dollar Tree for my pattern.   I wanted mine just a bit larger so I added about two inches all around.
Then I cut my strips for my super cute ruffles… I cut 4 strips that were each 9′ long.
I wanted to do a fun edge rather than a usual hem so I decided to do a rolled hem using my serger.  You just run your fabric through and it does the rest… woohoo! If any of you want some tips on a rolled hem, you know where to find me.
Now to introduce you all to my favorite foot 🙂  This is my ruffler.  For those of you with a sewing machine that do not own one of these… it’s time to ask Santa.  This baby makes a ruffle in no time and had adjustments so you can pick how full you want it.
So I spent about 2 minutes running 12 yards of fabric through my ruffler and I was finished.  This is what my ruffle looked like before I attached it around the edge of the skirt.
I then attached my 12 yards of ruffles to my circle piece using a straight stitch.
I finished my raw edge where the skirt is cut to fit around the tree and added two pieces of twine for the ties.  My final step was to cover up the shanty tree stand and then take a bunch of pictures:) What do you think?? Not too shanty for $9 and 30 minutes I think!

1. Mid Century Madam on December 5, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I love drop cloths. I use them for everything, including cheap drapes that look great. Love your tree. Beautiful.

2. Valerie on December 5, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I am so making this for my themed tree! What a fab idea! Filing this one at thecraftersfilebox.com.

Thanks for sharing!

3. [email protected] on December 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

that's so cute!! i think i need a sewing machine…

4. Mom 2 Dom & Gigi on December 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I have my Grandma's old Singer. So old it only does a straight stitch and is has a sep foot for doing a zig-zag. LOL. It came with a box full of special feet and I am thinking that a ruffler is one of them. I am going to have to do some experimenting once the Christmas season is over.
    Thanks for the Inspiration.

• Peggy on November 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm

The ruffler will look kinda like a dinosaur. Your grandmothers machine probably did come with one, I have my grandmothers old tredle and it came with one. If not you can get one, but it has to be the one for your machine. So have the modle number and brand name. I love mine and if you don’t have a serger, you could do a zig zag around the edge of both sides of the ruffle and then do your gather about an inch in from one side and then topstitch throught the gather stitches to the skirt, it would have a small stand up ruffle on the skirt itself and also at the very edge like hers. it would be very cute and I think that is what I will do, using my serger to do a rolled hem on both sides of the ruffle.

5. Mom 2 Dom & Gigi on December 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the Inspiration.

6. Paula on December 5, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I think that this is my very favorite out of all of the great projects that you've posted. Love it! I've considered getting a ruffler foot and just have never done it. I may have to do so now! Great job!

7. Jeanette on December 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

You had me until I saw the sewing machine. What an incredible idea. Those ruffles are just beautiful.

8. House Elf on December 5, 2009 at 8:16 am

What a wonderful project – love the edge 🙂

9. steffany on December 5, 2009 at 7:36 am

Oh my goodness, that is so cute. Thanks for sharing.

10. Candace on December 5, 2009 at 7:02 am

Your tree skirt is super cute!! Why have I not ever heard of a ruffler foot?!? I need to go out and get one AND I need to figure out how to do the rolled hem on my serger! You gals come up with the best ideas!

11. Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage on December 5, 2009 at 6:59 am

I love this. So cute! It's times like this when I really wish I could sew.

12. Funky Junk Interiors on December 5, 2009 at 6:58 am

Oh my gosh… that is one killer ruffle. I had no idea a machine just DID that. Love the stitched detail on the edges!

Another wonderful invention! Thanks for linking it up!

FJ Donna

13. Darci & Devin Buhl on December 5, 2009 at 5:55 am

Okay, seriously? A ruffler? Why don't I know about this foot? I'm not much of a seamstress, but I really think I need that. Is there a technical name for it, or do I just ask for the ruffler foot at the fabric store?
    Love your tree skirt. I've been wanting a cuter one but haven't seen anything that I love. Yours is PERFECT! Thanks for sharing.

14. Darci & Devin Buhl on December 5, 2009 at 5:55 am

15. The Weathered Cottage on December 5, 2009 at 4:59 am

a RUFFLER??? i Must have one!! this is adorable btw.

16. Nori on December 5, 2009 at 4:54 am

that is so stinkin cute!!!
    that ruffler is a crazy attachment and i want one! i'm totally adding this to my Christmas list. :o)

17. mjs on December 5, 2009 at 4:51 am

Beautiful! Posting this project on Etsy for sale by chance? 😉

18. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden on December 5, 2009 at 4:45 am

I love sewing projects! I have a tree skirt that I like, but it would be so sweet with a ruffle. Thanks for the idea!

~Carolyn

19. april francom on December 5, 2009 at 4:39 am

That is darling…Great job!!

20. Country Wings in Phoenix on December 5, 2009 at 4:36 am

OMG..
    Shut Up..A ruffler that ruffled 12 yards in a snap. Santa we need to have a serious talk, I have been left out far to long. This skirt is just the sweetest thing ever. I love it. You did an outstanding job. Thank you so much for sharing.

Your tree looks absolutely beautiful. Country hugs, Sherry