Whitney’s Walnut Wreath Tutorial

Hey friends!  Hope you are all having a great day!  Let’s go NUTS!  We recently told you about a spotlight we were asked to do for the Gorilla Glue company HERE.  We loved our wreath hangers and had to adorn them with cute wreaths as well.  I went with a nut and pinecone wreath and this is how I did it…
IMG_4137
I started by getting the supplies.  I purchased a grapevine wreath at Hobby Lobby for super cheap.  These can be found at almost any craft or floral store.
I also bought a bag of hazelnuts and 4 lbs of walnuts in the shells at the grocery store.  These too were super cheap:)  I also bought a bag of tiny pine cones from Hobby Lobby.  They were in the Christmas craft section.
My weapon of choice on this one was the hot glue gun.  I started by randomly gluing the walnuts around the wreath.  I used a grapevine wreath rather than a styrofoam one because I knew I could leave the sides showing which saved me money and I like the look better myself.
Once I had most of the wreath covered in walnuts I began space filling with my hazlenuts and pine cones.   Any space that was left between the walnuts was filled with either hazelnuts or pinecones. A look from the side…
My final step was to hang this baby up and take lots of pictures! Woohoo!! What do you think… Have I gone nuts??!  Hope you like it… Have a great Tuesday!!

1. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest on December 21, 2009 at 6:09 pm

darling!

2. Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst on December 15, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Love the textures and colors in this wreath. So pretty!

3. Angie @ The Shabby Chic Cottage on December 15, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for sharing! This is really elegant looking!

4. Rita Kent at TesoroFino.Com on December 15, 2009 at 12:32 am

As always…you have lovely ideas and the outcome is stunning. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tutorial! Come visit me & see what I've created this week. Be sure to leave a comment!

5. Dragonfly Treasure on December 14, 2009 at 5:45 am

Totally nuts over this wreath! sorry, had to do it! LOL
    Have to rememeber this for next year
    *hugs*Deb

6. susan on December 14, 2009 at 3:23 am

I love this! It would be great for fall and for Christmas. I might even be able to manage this project…if I didn't eat the project materials first 🙂

7. Nancy @ La Chambre Rose on December 14, 2009 at 3:17 am

I'm loving my new glue gun and this is an excellent project for that! Great idea.

8. Sue on December 10, 2009 at 3:08 am

Whitney, I love this "nutty" idea for the wreath! It turned out just adorable. How simple and natural.
    🙂 Sue

9. Amanda on December 9, 2009 at 11:55 pm

That is STUNNING!! love it, gotta have it. thanks for the idea

10. Kimm at Reinvented on December 9, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Awesome, love the look! Also love getting decor "stuff" at the grocery, then the expense is buried in the grocery budget! 😉

11. Bella Grace on December 9, 2009 at 5:34 pm

PLEASE let me know where you got the cute hooks? It makes the project. Thanks

12. Sylvia on December 8, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I love this idea – I made a Christmas tree using the same concept – will try this wreath as a compliment.
    Sylvia

13. mkelton24 on December 8, 2009 at 9:58 pm

How cute is this- Are you sure there are not 20 of yall(instead of 2)? You guys put out more new DIY progects at record speed. So cute I would by this as I hardly have time with work, school and the old fixer upper we bought

I am doing a little giveaway(actually my first ever) at "The Kelton's Cozy Cottage." Be sure to stop by and sign up!

14. My Big Mouth on December 8, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Another cute idea!
    I love it!

15. littlethings1 on December 8, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Love the wreath ! I love your wreath holder display!I just posted a very shabby wreath tutorial on my blog !
    Eunice
    The Little Things

16. Isabella & Max Rooms on December 8, 2009 at 4:21 pm

A winner!! The problem is I'd want to pull out a nut cracker, sit next to it and have myself a little holiday snack. Janell

17. Isabella & Max Rooms on December 8, 2009 at 4:21 pm

18. Blondie's Journal on December 8, 2009 at 3:23 pm

This is so cute!! And as always, you girls make it look so doable. Thanks!! 🙂

xoxo
    Jane

19. Cassie on December 8, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Love the wreath, especially against the fireplace! I gave you gals a shout out on our blog…Junk-Fest….check it out!
    Happy Holidays!

20. Debbie on December 8, 2009 at 3:09 pm

How cool is that! This wreath could work from late summer clear through the seasons.

21. Jeanette on December 8, 2009 at 3:05 pm

You did a great job. You have wonderful ideas.

22. Amanda on December 8, 2009 at 3:03 pm

How very cool! I love how it turned out 🙂

23. Marianne@Songbird on December 8, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Too funny I posted a 'going nuts' post last year. Made a walnut wreath too. But I used walnuts from a friends garden. You can find it here:
    Love, M

24. April Z on December 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I'm definitely going to make this wreath and wreath stand. I just found your blog a couple weeks ago and it's quickly become one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful ideas and inspiration!!

25. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) on December 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Oh how pretty. I love it. You have some of the best ideas. Hugs, Marty

26. Vanessa on December 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm

You girls are so cute and talented. I've been following you for awhile and appreciate all the projects you've shared. You certainly inspire me.

Love
    Vanessa @ momsgotmanyhats.blogspot.com

27. Jen on December 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I LOVE IT!!! and I really love the hutch also.

28. Country Wings in Phoenix on December 8, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Good Morning Sweetie…
    I have to tell you this is absolutely stunning. I just love the simplicity and elegance of it. Your wreath hanger is just so beautiful. I never would have thought about a post to a plague with a hanger on it for a wreath. On the fireplace hearth it would be beautiful. I may have to try this one. How devine.

Thank you for sharing this morning. Please stop by and say hi. I love to have the company.

Country hugs…Sherry