Basket-O-Blankets

Hey guys!  I stepped away from my massive project today to share with you a super cute idea for throw blankets.  We love throw blankets at the Turner household but I have been hiding them because the ones we had matched the colors of our old house.  So, my mission after Christmas was to come up with a decorative way to leave our blankets out….and here’s what I came up with….
I started with this $4.00 basket from Target…
and these $9.00 blankets also from Target (btw…these are the softest blankets EVER:).
Here are the supplies I used (all purchased at Hobby Lobby ON SALE).
Some of these supplies are for another tutorial I’ll share with you soon.
I painted the two wooden accent pieces with Rust-oleum Heirloom White and the wooden plaque with Rust-oleum Slate Blue (just discovered the Slate Blue and it is a new FAV).
Next, I sanded the edges and corners with my 3M sanding block
I then hot glued the 2 wooden accents at the ends of the wooden plaque…
and drilled two holes at the top.
I used my cricut to stencil the letters (don’t have a picture of me actually doing this..sorry).  I used the George and Basic Shapes cartridge and dry brushed the letters with Lamp (Ebony) Black acrylic paint.
Ralph also stopped by….paint on and wipe off.
Next, I used 1ply jute twine and thread it through the holes and around the top of the basket.
I secured with knots
and cut off the excess twine.
Simple and Done:)
I love that this idea can be used in so many ways…
like in a bathroom for towels…
or as a baby shower gift filled with baby blankets and towels.  Stencil the baby’s name on the sign and it could be used as a decorative basket for toy storage later:)

Like the cute clips???  Check back soon for a tutorial on those as well:)

~Ashley
post signature

1. FrugalMama on June 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Absolutely love this! I'm beyond obsessed with your blog right now…I've been clicking "older posts" all the way back to the beginning.
    Anyway, did my own rendition of your Basket-O-Blankets. Thanks for the fab idea & inspiration!

2. PeaceLoveApplesauce on February 23, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Fabulous idea!

3. Lei on February 3, 2010 at 1:42 am

Super cute. What a fun housewarming gift idea!

4. TheSingleNester on February 1, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Just lovely! Great blog!

5. Kathysue on February 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Very Cute!! and clever, I love those blankets from target they are soooo soft,just like you said, I did a post on throws called Do you toss your Throws? I need to add rolled in there after seeing this great idea, fun post,Kathysue

6. Enchanted Rose Studio on February 1, 2010 at 6:58 am

Tooo cute! Clever idea! Don't you just love that Rust-oleum x2, so smooth and covers so much nicer than the others!

The clips are darling!

Cheers!
    Tina

7. Marla at Always Nesting on February 1, 2010 at 1:01 am

Adorable, absolutely adorable basket!

8. Denise on January 31, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Fabulous!

9. Bonnie @ House of Grace on January 30, 2010 at 3:57 am

Really cute idea and I LOVE those blankets. SO SOFT!!!

10. Coco on January 29, 2010 at 5:56 pm

We love the RL glazes but are having a hard time finding them where we live. Any suggestions of retailers that sell them. Our Home Depots don't carry them anymore!

11. Kristin on January 29, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Wow, what a fun makeover! I love reading all your wonderful ideas, thank you for sharing!!!
    Kristin

12. Kimm at Reinvented on January 29, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Oh what a fabulous idea! Love that adorable stenciled sign.

13. Shelby McDevitt on January 29, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Absolutely LOVE this – we are currently in the process of purchasing our first home and I think this would be an AMAZING addition – deff a new follower =)

14. Evidence of an Artistic Life on January 29, 2010 at 3:26 am

Great project! Wash those blankets a couple of times before using-they leave lots of fuzzies, otherwise. Not so good on a black suit-don't ask!! LOL! Great idea!!

15. sissie on January 29, 2010 at 1:16 am

Now aren't you amazing. I love this idea. So pretty to look at but at the same time serving a much needed purpose. I think I would buy extra throw for use and keep that basket just looking pretty!
    Sissie

16. Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures on January 28, 2010 at 7:39 pm

What color glaze do you use?

17. Kimberly on January 28, 2010 at 7:28 pm

My friend sent me a link to your blog, and i just love it, so many cute ideas! Thanks for sharing them.

18. Reese on January 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm

So cute and creative! And yes, those are the softest blankets!

19. Olivia on January 28, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Cute! I have a brown blanket from Ross just like those. It NEVER leaves my side. It's like my security blankie. But I shouldn't boast about that– I'm 21. LOL

20. miss Yelpington on January 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

so cute love it. my mum makes up baskets with toileries to give as gifts it means you can pick out the individual gifts instead of ready made gift sets. thanks again for the great tips x

21. Tammy on January 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm

How Creative! I love how it turned out! Thanks for all the step by step instructions!

22. JJ on January 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm

what a cute idea! i especially like it for a baby shower gift! you girls have the most wonderful and unique ideas! by the way-this may be a strange and silly question, but is there any way y'all would give us a tour of your master bedroom. we are fixing ours up and i'm having a tough time "accessorizing" it. i thought you might have some good ideas for me:) thanks! jj

23. Debilou~Mississippi Mama on January 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

very cute.. love the idea to use for a baby shower gift..

24. Lolly on January 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Ashley, that is really cute, but where is Tris' blankie? That would look so cute in the basket with all of the other nice blankets.

25. Tiffany on January 28, 2010 at 2:20 pm

LOVE it! I could use something like this for the basket we use for toys too….thanks!!!

26. Shanty 2 Chic on January 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hi Girls! Thanks so much for your nice comments:) I did leave off a small detail!!! I forgot to tell you how I painted the basket! I just used Rust-oleum Canyon Black and spray painted the whole thing! Super easy:)

27. the thrifty ba on January 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm

that is a much better idea than what we do now…leave them all over the floor/couches/half way up the steps! thanks!

28. chair up on January 28, 2010 at 9:28 am

Wow wow wow…this is so practical and so very pretty. I just wish we had a Hobby Lobby here in Australia.
    Angex

29. Barbara Jean on January 28, 2010 at 7:36 am

so sweet!

thanks
    blessings

barbara jean

30. HouseMama on January 28, 2010 at 7:21 am

Love this idea. And those blankets are soooo soft. Do you have any additional tips for painting a basket (or can I just spray paint away)?

31. Angie@treasures for tots on January 28, 2010 at 6:37 am

Love it!!

Come share your creation at my party: Thursday's Treasures!

32. Marg on January 28, 2010 at 6:06 am

Thank you thank you thank you. Such a simple idea. It is very hot here and I have some beautiful throws, but nowhere to put them. This house is seriously short of storage space, but my lovely warm throws look slightly strange languishing on the sofas when it is very very hot and humid outside. Now I just have to go and find a basket………….not as easy as it sounds!

33. AlchemyJunk on January 28, 2010 at 5:57 am

Love this and everything else on your blog…thanks for the great ideas. Deb

34. Jeanette on January 28, 2010 at 5:54 am

What a great idea, love the way you used those clips on the blankets.

35. Jennifer on January 28, 2010 at 5:10 am

Very very very super cute!!!

36. Rustique Gallery on January 28, 2010 at 4:45 am

What a cute idea! It would be great for towels in the bathroom too. Reminds me that I have lots to organize, and I should cuten it all up! Congrats on baby 4!!
    Sherry

37. Treasia Stepp on January 28, 2010 at 4:45 am

We keep ours in a basket in the living room as well. But I've never thought of doing anything other than painting the basket. Thanks so much for the inspiration for this.

38. Sheri on January 28, 2010 at 4:28 am

We always have a basket of rolled up blankets, but those clips are TOO cute, I may have to look into them, if not for the blankets for something else!

39. Blissfully Enamored on January 28, 2010 at 4:07 am

oh my word!! this is SO cute!!!! i LOVE the big clips with the fleur de lis on them!!!! good job!

40. Blondie's Journal on January 28, 2010 at 3:35 am

Great house warming gift!!!

xoxo
    Jane

41. Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess on January 28, 2010 at 3:33 am

Luv it! I'm headed to Target tomorrow! 🙂

42. One Cheap B*tch on January 28, 2010 at 3:20 am

Another great project idea I would love to tackle. So great for a baby shower and I have one in my distant future! =)

43. Wife to a Soldier and Mommy to a Toddler Princess on January 28, 2010 at 3:20 am

LOVE IT!!!
    Your blog is amazing and I'm using a lot of your ideas when we move into our new house in March! SO excited, thanks for sharing!!