Whitney’s Burlap Monogram

Hey guys!  This week has and will be a bit crazy for both Ash and I.  This weekend is my daughter’s NCA Nationals competition for cheerleading.  This means that Ashley has been putting in 4837520 extra hours or work getting CCA ready to compete.  Forgive us for being a bit absent 🙂
So… I was able to play with my new favorite tool on this project!
This is my new super cute Cricut Expression Machine.
I was really wanting to make a monogram for above my bed.  I loved Ashley’s she made and was ready to create my own.  This is how I did it!
I started with a free hand me down frame.
I knew I wouldn’t be using the glass so I just moved on to the paint.  I gave it two coats of Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Canyon Black.
I let the frame dry and moved on to the next step.  I used some extra fabric I had left from my bedding I made for the next step.
I cut a piece large enough to cover the cardboard.  I used my hot glue gun attach the edges to the back of the cardboard.
My finished piece looked like this.
Now for the fun part!  I used my Cricut Expressions Machine to cut my stencils out.  I chose to use a great monogram font called Plantin Schoolbook.
I cut my letters out.  You just attach your stencil paper  (or regular paper) to your cutting mat, type in your letters and push a button.  It’s THAT easy 🙂  The best part about the Cricut Expression Machine is that you can cut your letters up to 24″… Wow and woohoo!!
After cutting my stencils, I used the letters to plan where I would paint.  I would like to add on this part that I did not space my letters evenly 🙁 !  I went ahead and finished so I could share with you guys but I would suggest that you measure before painting… duh.  Then you won’t have to redo yours like I will soon be doing.
I cut a piece of burlap 3″ shorter than my cardboard.

I used a stencil brush and some black acrylic paint to do my stenciling.
Just dab your brush up and down, not side to side to get the best outcome.
I finished all my letters and I was ready for my final step.  I hot glued the burlap to the fabric and then wanted to add just a little something more.  I decided to use bronze nail heads around the edge of the burlap.  I spaced them 2″ apart and pressed them through my cardboard.  Then, I turned the cardboard around and hammered the nails down to the side.
My final step was getting a few pictures for you.  I waited to hang it above the bed until I go back and fix my stencil job… bummer:)
Thanks so much for stopping by! Wish us luck the weekend. It’s a huge weekend for both Ashley, my daughter and the entire gym. Go CCA!

post signature

1. Denise on March 8, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Love this. I have a Cricut and have not put to use yet. Following you from Beneath Naps On The Porch.

2. vignette design on March 8, 2010 at 3:05 am

This is amazing!

3. Heather on February 25, 2010 at 9:21 pm

love it…you have great ideas. Laughed when i saw this post–I used that EXACT fabric to have a chair and ottoman and a chaise lounge reupholstered in my master. I love it!

4. Barbara Jean on February 25, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Great project!
    I bought a cricut expressions right after Christmas, and still have not even plugged it in to see if it works!
    Can you believe that?

Tax and inventory time do not leave much time for other things.

Blessings and thanks for your wonderful blog.

barbara jean

5. The Phillips fam on February 24, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Love that!!!

6. Cherish @ My Cup of Tea on February 24, 2010 at 7:51 am

OH I wish I could afford a cricut!!!

Hey, so I completely made over my blog. You should take a second look!! Thanks!
    ((Don't forget to follow))
    {{I'm already a follower of yours}}

7. Rachel@oneprettything.com on February 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm

That is way cute and gives me so many wedding ideas as well! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

8. Vivacious on February 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I am (im)patiently waiting for my Cricut in the mail LOL what a great idea!

9. Allison on February 23, 2010 at 6:53 am

I understand what your saying about the letters not being perfect, but I kinda like it that way!
    I love my cricut too, but havent used viynl yet.

10. Peridots Garden Blog on February 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm

This is my first visit to your blog and I am going to browse through past posts!

Love this and thank you for including the step by step photos and instructions!

Sandy

11. Krista on February 22, 2010 at 12:56 am

I'm not sure if you do these or even care, but I gave you ladies the beautiful blogger award. You are inspiring me to actually do crafty things and I thought you deserved an award for that. Go check it out at my blog.

12. Judy King on February 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm

You're very creative! Like the ideas you share!

13. Me on February 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Looks great – I love the browns…

14. maria on February 21, 2010 at 4:08 am

I love it, thanks for sharing each step…maria

15. Pat on February 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Great idea! You mentioned you made your bedding??? Wow, is there a post about that? Love the fabric ~

16. The Charm House on February 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I love this!!! My Whitney is fixing to get married this May and her future husband's name is James (called JD). This would be a perfect gift!!
    Thanks,
    Yvette

17. Sarah on February 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Cool project! You girls are so creative!!!

18. Lacie @ Creative Attempts on February 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm

super cute and great tutorial. I am still learning how to use my cricut I love the endless possiblilities 🙂

19. Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama on February 20, 2010 at 6:52 am

Awsome project! I love the stenciling on the burlap soooo much!

20. Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama on February 20, 2010 at 6:52 am

Awsome project! I love the stenciling on the burlap soooo much!

21. Rustique Gallery on February 20, 2010 at 5:40 am

GOOD LUCK Y'ALL! Your monogram is very sweet. I love the fabric you used. Your bedroom must be gorgeous! All the best…Sherry

22. Rafahi Family on February 20, 2010 at 5:39 am

I bought my Cricut last October on Ebay and I have to say I got the BEST deal. Yes it was brand new. So if any of you ladies need one or want one–check out Ebay before you commit to buying from a retail store!!!
    Anyway–I love your craft ideas. I haven't used my Cricut as much as I have wanted to, but this is another great idea that I am going to try!!! Thanks for sharing.

23. Cindy on February 20, 2010 at 5:09 am

That is beautiful! What a great idea, yours just looks so wonderful!

24. Christine on February 20, 2010 at 4:46 am

I love it! I really think I need a Cricut!

25. Under the Willow on February 20, 2010 at 4:46 am

Oh my goodness ~ your project turned out wonderful! So creative with so many options too!

26. Kimmie @ live fancy. on February 20, 2010 at 4:21 am

I've been asking for a Cricut Expression for 17 years now. Okay, obviously not that long, but long enough to be frustrated that I don't have one yet.

This project is awesome- I LOVE that frame. Nice work!

27. julie on February 20, 2010 at 3:24 am

too funny! i am in the process of doing and using the same things! i will have to let you know when i finish! have fun and good luck!

28. ~Issy on February 20, 2010 at 3:14 am

Wow…i really love this.

I need a circut…. 🙂

29. Emily on February 20, 2010 at 2:58 am

I am the worlds worst CENTER-ER. 🙂

So, a quick thought, I don't know if this would be quicker than re-stenciling your project, but you could just cut your burlap, so the stenciling is centered, then recenter it your material/frame?

Looks great, thanks for your many creative ideas!

30. Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife on February 20, 2010 at 2:49 am

I love this!! I also LOVE the Cricut Expression!!

Enjoy it!!

Good Luck to your daughter at Nationals!!

All my best,
    Alisha

31. Fawn @ Patina Soul on February 20, 2010 at 2:30 am

Very nice! Good luck this weekend!

32. Tina on February 20, 2010 at 2:26 am

That is absolutely gorgeous Whitney!! I love it:) You are so lucky to have purchased a cricut machine, it is on my wish list:) Enjoy your gorgeous monogram, I will have to stick to embroidering mine for a while yet! Have a lovely weekend ~ Tina x

33. Rachelle on February 20, 2010 at 2:26 am

That looks great!

Just said a prayer for you guys- Good luck!

xo