Crown Anyone?

It’s DONE!!!  I don’t know if I am more happy that my work is done or that I am finally enjoying it!
No this one is not mine!  This one is actually around $3,000 when you factor in shipping and decor!
This is mine!  Total cost for this piece is $300 including decor!
How did I do it?  Well, let me first start off by saying that I am NOT a carpenter and I have never built a piece of furniture from scratch!  I learned as I went with this piece thanks to Ana over at Knock Off WoodShe has a ton of plans offered on her site, free of charge, so that people like us (practicle DIYers that drool over name brand furniture in the catalogs but would never spend a penny on the over-priced manufactured wood) can build them ourselves to enjoy in our homes!  This was a huge undertaking for me but I accomplished it from beginning to end all with my own two hands!!!!  If I can do this, so can you!  I challenge all of you to check out Ana’s site and pick a project!  She has so many to choose from and you can start out with something as small as an end table or a chair!
The last two weeks, I have focused on decorating and personalizing my storage wall!
I started out by purchasing these super cute Closet Maid fabric drawers at Target!  They were on sale last week at 2 for $10!  I bought 8 navy, 4 chocolate and 4 dark khaki.  Total for 16 was around $90.
How I personalized!
This is set-up just like the one in the picture.  Ana designed her own plans to add a hutch over the TV so of course I couldn’t leave that piece out!
Here she is with the hutch
I just couldn’t leave well enough alone!  I had to personalize it just a tad more so…
I purchased this foam crown moulding at Lowe’s!  The corner pieces allow for no miter installation.  I purchased a 12′ piece of crown for $34 and the corner pieces for $6 each.  This foam stuff is soooo cool!  Our grandfather actually installed it in his home and you would NOT even know it is foam!  It has some type of primer on the front so it paints very well!  It is also very dense and feels durable!  Best part is that it is sooo much cheaper than wood moulding.  I would have spent twice as much on wood crown that is identical to this stuff!

This stuff is so light weight that I just used several finishing nails to hold it up!

It really makes a statement in the room now!
My favorite part about this system is the storage!!!  I am so OCD (no joke) so the storage this wall offers really makes my heart skip!!!  Yes, I am a nerd!  My fellow OCDers, these pics are for you!  Everyone else please bear with me:)

Everything organized and in it’s place and the best part about it is….
it’s HIDDEN!
I owe a big thank you to Ana!  I would not have this beautiful, fully functional piece of furniture that I built with my own 2 hands if she had not created the plans to begin with!  I have always drooled over this piece in the catalogs and online but I knew that I would never purchase it from the retailer.  Even if I could afford it, I could not justify the price tag!  I spent 10% building it myself and I was able to personalize it with Leapfrog by Behr and moulding!  Thanks so much Ana!  I can’t wait to move on to my next project!
If you would like the step by steps that I took to build this piece, here are the links in the order I went!  There are links to Ana’s plans in each post as well!
If you take it one step at a time it is VERY managable!  I did one part per week and only needed wood glue and a drill!  The building part was the most fun!  Painting was my least favorite ~ it took an entire gallon of paint but the fruits of my labor make it all worth it!!!  The family loves it and I get such joy looking at it knowing that I actually made it!!!  Thanks so much for following me on this journey!!
~Ashley
 post signature

1. Ann On and On... on March 19, 2010 at 6:50 pm

My hat is off to you!!! It looks great!

2. Bekki on March 19, 2010 at 6:43 pm

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE your version!~ That moulding at the top and the extra center piece add so much to the piece. What a great accomplishment!

3. Heather on March 19, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I LOVE it!! You did an AWESOME job! I LOVE the price too! You go girl! 😉

4. Finest Moments on March 19, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Wow! Great job! I have been following Anna's blog for a while and have been wanting to try a piece of furniture soon. I love all the baskets too. My wii foam sports equipment has bite marks in them too! 🙂

5. Vanessa on March 19, 2010 at 6:25 pm

That is so awesome! Yout did a great job, you should be proud of yourself. It looks great!

6. Kristi M. on March 19, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I've had fun following you along this project. I've drooled over many of Ana's plans and my husband and I plan on tackling the armoire as an entertainment center pretty soon. You did an awesome job! Beautiful!

7. [email protected] Beneath My Heart on March 19, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Ashley, it's gorgeous!!! Great job. I know you are so glad it is finished and now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor! 🙂
    Blessings,
    Traci

8. SaraReno on March 19, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Wow, it turned out beautifully! Love the color and molding touches. Perfect!

9. sahmqueen on March 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I have been following you along this project the whole time. I am so impressed and inspired. I have wanted to do one of Ana's projects for a while, and now I just might. I will probably start with an easy bench or something. What you just made is priceless, in my opinion. I love the feeling I get when I have tackled something that seemed too hard. I know you are going to get endless compliments. I actually like your version better than PB. Seriously. Well done, fellow momma!!!

10. Goings on at the Glenn's on March 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Great job! I love how it turned out. My sister would be drooling over the color you used too. If I had a "crown" I'd give you one. The molding looks great!

11. Lara on March 19, 2010 at 5:38 pm

This looks amazing! We are almost done with ours as well! We did the same exact one except we are staining ours. Great job yours looks fabulous!

12. Katie on March 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Yours is AMAZING! I love the bright green and navy. Great job!

13. Dianne on March 19, 2010 at 5:31 pm

WoW! Great job! Your's looks better than Pottery Barn's!!! And you can say "I made it myself".
    Thanks for sharing.

14. Samantha2818 on March 19, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Wow Ashley – I've been dying to see the finished article and you didn't let me down! It looks amazing – I am so ispired by both you and Ana and can't wait to start my own teeny weeny version (I'm just going to make the media unit)!
    Fantastic job as usual!
    ~Sam

15. Megan on March 19, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Wow! Just…wow! It turned out absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the tip about the foam molding!! I had no idea, and it looks so beautiful!

16. Jenn on March 19, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Love it!

17. Lolly Jane on March 19, 2010 at 5:30 pm

looks great! good work! i would have quit long ago…lol!

18. Julie Johnson on March 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Woo hoo…this is awesome! I love it…and your touches are one up on PB. 😉 I too hate seeing visual clutter…can not stand plastic. So, those bins have been wonderful in our home too. Check out my organizing on http://www.juliejohnsonblog.blogspot.com…everything in its place makes me feel so much better!
    Julie

19. Mimi Hornberger on March 19, 2010 at 5:21 pm

You are my hero! Way to go. I actually like yours better than the store bought one. Nice touch with the crown molding!

20. [email protected] on March 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm

It looks great-what a huge accomplishment!I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it.