Crown Anyone?

It’s DONE!!!  I don’t know if I am more happy that my work is done or that I am finally enjoying it!
No this one is not mine!  This one is actually around $3,000 when you factor in shipping and decor!
This is mine!  Total cost for this piece is $300 including decor!
How did I do it?  Well, let me first start off by saying that I am NOT a carpenter and I have never built a piece of furniture from scratch!  I learned as I went with this piece thanks to Ana over at Knock Off WoodShe has a ton of plans offered on her site, free of charge, so that people like us (practicle DIYers that drool over name brand furniture in the catalogs but would never spend a penny on the over-priced manufactured wood) can build them ourselves to enjoy in our homes!  This was a huge undertaking for me but I accomplished it from beginning to end all with my own two hands!!!!  If I can do this, so can you!  I challenge all of you to check out Ana’s site and pick a project!  She has so many to choose from and you can start out with something as small as an end table or a chair!
The last two weeks, I have focused on decorating and personalizing my storage wall!
I started out by purchasing these super cute Closet Maid fabric drawers at Target!  They were on sale last week at 2 for $10!  I bought 8 navy, 4 chocolate and 4 dark khaki.  Total for 16 was around $90.
How I personalized!
This is set-up just like the one in the picture.  Ana designed her own plans to add a hutch over the TV so of course I couldn’t leave that piece out!
Here she is with the hutch
I just couldn’t leave well enough alone!  I had to personalize it just a tad more so…
I purchased this foam crown moulding at Lowe’s!  The corner pieces allow for no miter installation.  I purchased a 12′ piece of crown for $34 and the corner pieces for $6 each.  This foam stuff is soooo cool!  Our grandfather actually installed it in his home and you would NOT even know it is foam!  It has some type of primer on the front so it paints very well!  It is also very dense and feels durable!  Best part is that it is sooo much cheaper than wood moulding.  I would have spent twice as much on wood crown that is identical to this stuff!

This stuff is so light weight that I just used several finishing nails to hold it up!

It really makes a statement in the room now!
My favorite part about this system is the storage!!!  I am so OCD (no joke) so the storage this wall offers really makes my heart skip!!!  Yes, I am a nerd!  My fellow OCDers, these pics are for you!  Everyone else please bear with me:)

Everything organized and in it’s place and the best part about it is….
it’s HIDDEN!
I owe a big thank you to Ana!  I would not have this beautiful, fully functional piece of furniture that I built with my own 2 hands if she had not created the plans to begin with!  I have always drooled over this piece in the catalogs and online but I knew that I would never purchase it from the retailer.  Even if I could afford it, I could not justify the price tag!  I spent 10% building it myself and I was able to personalize it with Leapfrog by Behr and moulding!  Thanks so much Ana!  I can’t wait to move on to my next project!
If you would like the step by steps that I took to build this piece, here are the links in the order I went!  There are links to Ana’s plans in each post as well!
If you take it one step at a time it is VERY managable!  I did one part per week and only needed wood glue and a drill!  The building part was the most fun!  Painting was my least favorite ~ it took an entire gallon of paint but the fruits of my labor make it all worth it!!!  The family loves it and I get such joy looking at it knowing that I actually made it!!!  Thanks so much for following me on this journey!!
~Ashley
 post signature

1. Jess on December 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm

this is awesome! I'm thinking about making one like this-but wondering what size TV you have? Thanks!

2. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle on April 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Well Done! I love the extra shelf you added at the top. I need to do this!

3. Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia on March 28, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I am so impressed! This is better then the $3000 one, you really have some amazing talent, I'm your newest follower! Love the two of you and all that you have accomplished!!
    Take care-
    Kristin

4. Megan @ Megity's Handmade on March 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm

AWESOME!!! You did a fantastic job! That foam crown might be exactly what I need! I've been itching for crown in my bedroom (well the whole house) and can't figure out how to get it up on my own. I'm going to check it out for sure. Thanks for the tip!

5. Verba on March 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Очень стильно и красиво! Хороший цвет, прекрасный вид! Magnificent case! Very beautiful and convenient. Good work!

6. Ashleigh on March 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I love it. Funny that I feel some element of satisfaction with the finished product, just after following the process. Ha. I can't imagine how gratifying it was for you to actually do. I love it. I need to get off my patootie and do it!

7. Kim on March 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm

It looks awesome! You truly did a fabulous job.

8. shara on March 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm

love it. you did awesome. so jealous. nothing wrong with a little ocd! have some/alot/tons myself. have a great week~

9. Allison @ House of Hepworths on March 22, 2010 at 6:29 am

It is beautiful and amazing!! You did an fabulous job.

10. Little Miss Sassy Pants on March 22, 2010 at 2:24 am

It looks absolutely fabulous! I am considering making this and if i do I will definitely ad the crown moulding- amazing touch! Great job!

11. The Whimsical Princess on March 22, 2010 at 12:30 am

I love it! The moulding is a really great touch!

12. Candied Fabrics on March 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm

You GO girl! Fantastic job!

13. Shel at Dreamy Nest on March 21, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Awesome!! Great job!! I've never heard of the foam crown molding. Just showed it to my hubby. We're excited now because I'm planning on adding crown molding to my living room and this sounds like a cheaper alternative. Thanks!

14. Suze on March 21, 2010 at 6:09 pm

This is EXACTLY what I want to build for my basement and I LOVE that you painted it green!

Thanks to Ana and your project I'm more inspired. Thanks for building and posting this!

15. Sarah on March 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Your custom furniture turned out AMAZING!!! I'm so super impressed. As a matter of fact, you may have just inspired me to give it a try! Thanks for sharing with us.
    God's blessings,
    Sarah 😀

16. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions on March 21, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Great job! I did not know about that foam molding with the corner pieces! I need to figure out how to make that work with my kitchen cabinets.

17. Anita Van Hal on March 20, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Wow! Very cool! OCD? I don't think you're OCD at all! Personally I prefer to think of my OCD as extraordinarily dedicated or tenacious. My husband is always saying something silly like, "does everything HAVE to match?" Seriously?

Great job!

18. Kimm at Reinvented on March 20, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Beautiful! Love the color, and love love love the crown! Great job, thanks for sharing the process with us.