Fabric Magnet Board… A Fav!!

Hey guys!! This has been one of my favorite projects so far.  I love how it turned out and I am already in the process of making one for downstairs to go with the rest of the house.  I had a large wall space in the baby’s room to fill and I decided I wanted to make a magnet board.  It’s something I can put pictures on now and she will be able to play with as she gets older.  Here is how it turned out…
Now I will show you how I made it…
I started with an old empty frame I had in the garage.  You can find old frames at any thrift store or just buy a cheapo from Walmart.  I put it outside to spray paint it.
Here it is drying after two coats of Rust-Oleum!
I purchased a 24×36 sheet of galvanized metal from Lowe’s.  It is in the PLUMBING section… not the roofing material.  It was around $7 for the sheet.
I marked off the area that I would cut with a sharpie.  I went an inch less than the inside of my frame all around.
Now I have found that the best way to cut this stuff is to use my sewing scissors.  These are Fiskars and I have 3 pair so I wasn’t too worried about messing them up but I sharpened them right after and I don’t notice that it did any damage.
I just cut along the line.  It cuts very easily but you have to wear gloves because it is super sharp!
I also purchased a $3 cardboard project board from Hobby Lobby.  I was at the Dollar Tree the next day and they had foam board for $1! That was what I wanted for this but it was $8 at Hobby Lobby… Yuck. The cardboard worked great though.  I hot glued my metal piece to the cardboard which was cut to fit the inside of my frame perfectly.
Next, I ironed my fabric and laid it good side down on the table.  I put the metal side of the cardboard down on the back of the fabric.
Now it’s hot glue time again.  Just hot glue the edges of the fabric to the back of the cardboard.  Make sure you are pulling tightly enough so the fabric won’t gather.
Here it is all finished…
I went and got my cute red frame from the garage…
And put the fabric covered cardboard inside…
I actually used Gorilla Tape to hold the piece into the frame and I was done!  It was super easy, cheap and I want to make one for every room.  Here are a few more pics…
I love it! What do you think??
Want to make the super cute flower magnets?  I’ll show you how in my next post.  In the meantime I am back to painting.  I have painted 7 pieces of furniture in the last 48 hours or so… this is some serious nesting! I love it!  Have a great Friday!!
post signature

1. Kayleen Sokol on May 8, 2015 at 11:49 pm

I did this for one of our teachers for teacher appreciation day.

2. Jackie on February 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’ve been looking for magnet boards and I think this project is perfect, easy and decorative for any room. I’d like to make one for my granddaughter’s room and a few for my home, even makes nice gifts!! Thanks =)

3. Kristel T.M. on November 13, 2012 at 1:53 pm

When I saw this post I was all over it. I made a magnet and a cork board right away. Since then I’ve made at least 3 more. I just finished 2 for my office at work. I can’t pass a frame anymore without thinking about making a board out of it! Thank you so much for this fabulous idea. It’s one of those projects that’s fast, easy and really works!

4. Vicki Rose Salinas on July 17, 2012 at 10:55 am

So glad I found your site! Hopefully I’ll have something to share soon! Thanks

• Shanty2Chic on July 19, 2012 at 6:29 am

That’s awesome Vicki! Glad to have you here!! πŸ˜‰

5. veptuhmid on May 18, 2012 at 5:59 am

The New World begins here: http://i.roadtrue.com
    You can publish your links at the page “Your site”.

6. MagNetMaNia on August 22, 2011 at 9:44 am

I love it and I will make it and share with you when it is done

7. Randi on July 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I just used your tutorial to make my own fabric magnet board, to display magnets we buy as souvenirs when we travel (and to get them off my fridge)! You can see it here: http://missionorganization.blogspot.com/2011/07/diy-project-fabric-magnet-board.html THANKS so much, your directions were JUST what I was looking for!!

8. Momma Monkey's Crafts on March 23, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I think I might totally use this idea!! thank you for the amazing tutorial! πŸ™‚

9. Jill Elaine on July 28, 2010 at 1:42 am

That is the coolest idea! I'm gonna have to remember that one:)

10. Tru@TRU TALES FEATS on July 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Very nice. Great tute. I really should do something like this and get the magnets off the fridge!

11. Kimmy on July 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I love it! Thanks for the tutorial! This looks like it would be super easy to do!

12. Design A-Peele on July 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I was just thinking about what to do for my husband's work and this is a great solution. He needs to see 5 months at a time, so I could alter this and make it work!

13. Jenny on July 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm

That is adorable!

14. CoachAldridge on July 23, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I really like this idea, and we are running to Home Depot in a little while for a different project, but I see some galvanized metal in our future πŸ˜‰ Thank you for sharing!

15. Mad Sewing Love on July 23, 2010 at 11:56 am

You won't believe this but I have on my lil' "Lowes list" this very item! Although I didn't think to put fabric over it. Brilliant! Going to make it today. Woo-hoo.

Turned out beautiful.

Thanks!

16. Soccer Uniform on July 23, 2010 at 6:15 am

Nice idea for your kids its so easy and help full for kids that they made something at their house.

Liquid Rubber

17. Sassy Sites! on July 23, 2010 at 6:07 am

I love it!! I want to make one for my house! Great tutorial too. I'm a follower! πŸ™‚

18. 3LittleByrds on July 23, 2010 at 5:30 am

Way too cute. Her room is going to be precious. I love all your creativity. I emailed you a few days ago. I just had a few questions.

19. Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya on July 23, 2010 at 4:42 am

Fantastic!! the creativity juices are flowing…

20. Tales From My Empty Nest on July 23, 2010 at 3:11 am

I can't wait to make some myself. Such a cute idea. The sky is the limit. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

21. 3creativechics on July 23, 2010 at 2:51 am

I love this that I have posted it on my blog with your link back. I will be trying this real soon.
    Thanks for this cute idea.

22. gail@myrepurposedlife.net on July 23, 2010 at 2:07 am

Plumbing?! Oh my I never find anything magnetic, but I'm always looking in roofing/guttering, etc. I have figured out that it has to be galvanized, but they are all small in roofing.
    I love how it turned out! Magnetic is the new chalkboard? hahaha
    great job!
    gail

23. Life in Rehab on July 23, 2010 at 12:52 am

Adorable, Whitney, and very thrifty.

24. The Green Pea on July 23, 2010 at 12:26 am

Thank you for the great idea. Yours turned out so cute. sandi

25. KirkKrew on July 23, 2010 at 12:06 am

So cute! I can't wait to see the finished room!!!

26. maria@hip-mama-xoxo on July 22, 2010 at 11:58 pm

So cute and fun! Thank you for all of your great ideas and tutorials.

27. maria@hip-mama-xoxo on July 22, 2010 at 11:54 pm

So cute and easy. Thank you for all of your great ideas.

28. Kindra on July 22, 2010 at 11:41 pm

That is super cute! I love these kind of personalized projects!

29. Chic Staging and Design on July 22, 2010 at 11:36 pm

good to know about the plumbing section! I just bought one for a chalkboard/magnetic board and it was $20 at home depot!