Parsons Party!!

So I must introduce you to my new partner in crime…
This is Erin!  She is a crazy talented girl who I have been getting into trouble with lately.  You have to go check out her BLOG!!

She is a former graphic artist turned mommy who now spends her time painting and decorating just about everything… Much like myself 🙂  When she mentioned a fab idea she had to paint her parsons chairs, I couldn’t pass it up!
These are her dining chairs…

They are very simple linen parsons chairs she purchased a few years back.  Very cute but in need of a little revamp…
She wanted to get the look of a grain sack without reupholstering which led to this project!
We started by randomly taping lines of painter’s tape in different widths on each chair.  We did this by professionally “eyeballing” them… No tape measure needed 🙂

After doing this we started on the numbers.  I used my very favorite new tool to cut some stencils for us…

I used my Silhouette to cut numbers 1 through 6 in different fonts.  I loved that I could use any font that was on my computer rather than being limited to just a few cartridges.  I even went and downloaded a few free fonts just for this project.  I used white vinyl to cut out each number.  The plan was to peel and stick on the chair.  Word of advice… Vinyl is great, just won’t stick on fabric!  I will cut these out of contact paper when working with fabric.
After taping off our lines we attached each of our numbers.  This is where we realized we were doing things a bit backwards.  We should have painted the numbers first but oh shwell!  Instead of re-taping we just used a craft knife to cut out the tape from the inside of the numbers.

We placed each number in random spots on the backs of the chairs.
Erin stenciled in the numbers while I got started on the lines.  She chose a dark taupe color for the numbers and a blue for the lines.
We stenciled using a stencil brush and kept it pretty dry to keep the lines from looking too perfect.
Here is number 5…

Do you like our professional paint trays there on the floor? 😉
Number 4…
The best part was pulling off all the tape when we were finished…

I love!  What a fun project!!  Her house is super cute.  I was in awe of Baby E’s nursery!  Her son is just a few days younger than my new baby and he is one lucky boy!  Not only does he have a great family but please check out this nursery!!
Go check her out guys!! Her style is so fun and she is a good read too!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!  Go see Miss Erin, leave her a sweet message and tell her we sent you.  It will make her day 🙂 And it’s great eye candy too!
After that go check out Silhouette!  This is for real one of the coolest tools I am proud to own.  You gals need to add it to your Christmas list!!
Have a great weekend!!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

post signature

1. Chrissie on October 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Awesome! I love how those chairs turned out. What a great idea. I am going over to check out that blog now!

2. Rebekah on October 23, 2010 at 8:15 pm

These are FANTASTIC! I love how each one is a little different from the rest. Well done!

3. Tracie on October 23, 2010 at 5:29 pm

wow! you two make a great team. love the chairs!

4. Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating on October 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Cool way to dress up those chairs. Love it!!!

5. The Exchange on October 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm

WOW, the chairs turned out fabulous!! How creative! Great job and I wish I had some parson chairs!! Thanks for sharing, great job!
    Cheers!
    Cyndy

6. Love of the Sea on October 23, 2010 at 3:49 am

These came out so nice! Wow – very creative.

7. Finding Home on October 23, 2010 at 3:07 am

Really great project! What kind of paint did you use?

8. High Street Cottage on October 23, 2010 at 2:49 am

Hello young lady, I'm coming over from SNS link party, and saw your cute thumbnail and had to pop in. Fantastic project they came out superb looking! Well done, and very brave of you, a project like that is kind of a "no turning back" one.

9. Funky Junk Interiors on October 23, 2010 at 2:20 am

Very cool project, and the same premis I used on my own lettered creations. Sure makes stenciling a breeze, doesn't it? 🙂

Donna

10. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage on October 23, 2010 at 2:15 am

Hi Whitney,
    Love the chairs and how they came out! They are fantastic!The numbers look fantastic on their too! I host a decorating inspiration party at my blog on the weekends if you would like to come by and check it out sometime- this is a great project!! Off to check out your partner in crime's blog too! Nice to meet you! 🙂

11. Michaela on October 22, 2010 at 8:06 pm

This is such a cool project!! I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing (: Love your blog by the way…so glad I found it!

12. Erin on October 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Whitney —

First and most importantly, I am appalled by my terrible posture in that photo. ;o)

Secondly, have I said enough how much fun I've had DIY-ing with you?? It's been a blast…what do we tackle next?

And finally, you have the best readers ever! They've been sending so much blog love, and it's too fun!

You're the best!

13. Erin on October 22, 2010 at 3:57 pm

How cool!!!!!

14. Stephanie on October 22, 2010 at 3:17 pm

You found a great friend, those chairs and the idea are to die for. I love them.

15. Elaine on October 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm

How cool are those! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to head over and check out her blog.

16. Donna on October 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm

What a fun project! It brought the chairs to life and made them fun! The Silhouette is on my Christmas list but I am not sure I can wait until then to get one. 🙂

17. Elaine on October 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm

How fun are those chairs! Love the idea and they turned out great. Going to head over and check out Erin's blog.

18. Collaborations on October 22, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Amazing chairs!

19. sweet european dreams on October 22, 2010 at 5:13 am

oh my. She is VERY talented! Those chairs are awesome – I would have never thought to do that! My most favorite talented friend just moved away (thanks, Army…), so I'm on the hunt for a new one! It's great that you have someone to create with! -diane

20. Ashley on October 22, 2010 at 3:54 am

Love the idea for the chairs!