Silhouette Chargers

Hey guys!!
If you have not joined this month’s I Made it Without My Hubby party just keep scrolling down.  You have just a bit more time left to enter and share!  In the meantime, I thought I would share one of my latest projects.  And yes… that was “projects” with a big “S” on the end!  I’m so thankful for my non-pregnant self that can actually get things done 🙂
I have been having all sorts of fun with one of our very favorite new products!!  This has to be one of the coolest machines ever.  I am in love…

It’s my Silhouette! It is a digital cutting tool that connects to your computer just like a printer, but instead of printing designs it cuts them with a small blade. How fun is that!! My favorite thing about it is the ease of using graphics from the computer rather than trying to store 658,374 different cartridges somewhere in a drawer.  I like that I can pick just one picture that I need without having to go to the store!  Here she is…

I used my Silhouette to easily cut 2 bird pictures onto black vinyl.  This is the vinyl I used…
I will give a more detailed tutorial on a later post but it really was as simple as picking a picture and pushing print.  After doing that I started on the rest of my project.
I found these great antique sewing table drawers at my Meme’s house several months ago.  I knew I wanted to do something with them but was waiting for the perfect project.
 I decided to use them as plate holders in my kitchen.  My original plan was to buy some cute plates at Home Goods but when I ran across these chargers at Hobby Lobby I couldn’t pass them up!
They were $1.99 and although the color wasn’t my fav I did love the shape!  I knew a good coat of
Rust-Oleum would solve that.  I used Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Heirloom White.
Here it is drying…
I did add a little bit of Ralph Lauren Smoke glaze to them after they dried just to bring out the details on the edges.
I used some small picture hangers on the back of my drawers and hung them on the wall.
My next step was to add my birdies!  I just peeled the back off the vinyl…
And stuck it to the plate… That easy!!  And if I get bored of my birdies I just have to cut a new picture!

My final step was to put them in the drawers and take some pics!  What do you think??

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I am so excited to share some of the other great things this little machine does!  You will be amazed… And right in time to ask Santa for one 😉  Make sure you scroll down and link up your latest projects if you haven’t done it yet!

post signature

1. Kayleigh on November 16, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I have been eyeballing those HL chargers too! Can you give more info on the Ralph Lauren stuff that you added to it… I've never used it before but I LOVE the look that it added! Do you just rub it on the edges or is it something you spray on the whole thing…?

2. AmyD @halfbakedcafe.blogspot.com on October 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm

This is genius! I don't have that particular machine but I do have a CriCut!!!!

3. Jenn A on October 19, 2010 at 4:24 am

Wow! Great job! Want a silhouette!

4. amberdawn on October 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I love it!!!! And did you hang the drawers upside down, or is the plate sitting in the drawer?

5. Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya on October 15, 2010 at 1:08 am

oh, how I am swooning!!

So innovative. I'm loving it.

Great job!!!

6. - Brittany on October 14, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Very cute idea! That is a creative use for the drawers!

Brittany

7. ToddandTrisha on October 14, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I actually have a question for you two. I am recovering a lamp shade and I found some old shades that have some discoloration on the inside. I am planning on recovering them like you have done many times!! I just don't know what to do on the inside and so I am wondering if you have any ideas for me. You could email me at tjorgens80@yahoo.com. I know you are busy, but any ideas would be appreciated.

8. Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living on October 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Very cute and creative! I love how you used the sewing machine drawers for shelves.

9. Claire on October 14, 2010 at 1:32 am

Love the drawers! Love the plates! Love the birds! Soooo cute!

10. Sommer on October 13, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I love your plates! What a great idea! I have been dying for one of these machines and found one on Craigs list this morning, unopened with tons of accessories papers for $150!!! Cross your fingers for me=)

11. Infarrantly Creative on October 13, 2010 at 3:22 am

Oh Whitney that is stinkin adorable. I love those sweet little drawers.

12. very merry vintage style on October 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm

These are really pretty. I like the color of the paint contrasting with the black.

13. Kimmie @ Sugar and Dots on October 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

My Silhouette should be here by Saturday and I am SO excited! Love this project. LOVE.

14. Sommer on October 12, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I love it! I can't imagine what would happen to my house if I had one of those machines lol.

15. Erin on October 12, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I love how those turned out!!

16. mudpies and marigolds on October 12, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I have a couple of drawers just like that and thanks to you now I know what to do with them. You are so clever…I would have never thought to mount them on the wall!
    -Aaron

17. Life in Rehab on October 12, 2010 at 12:48 pm

That's sooooooo cute! I love your vision, and I already warned my hubs that that Silhouette machine needs to be under the tree in December or ELSE!

18. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. on October 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Cute and clever idea!

19. Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish on October 12, 2010 at 11:55 am

Ah to have a Silhouette! I had to cut mine out for my plates by hand! Yours look fantastic!

20. Crystal on October 12, 2010 at 11:52 am

LOVE those drawers!! They're gorgeous! And I'm obsessed with birds.

21. southerninspirationsblog on October 12, 2010 at 8:44 am

What a great way to use those sewing machine drawers! I have several myself stashed away – I need to pull them out and hang them up! Love the painted chargers too – like you I always love the shape but not the colors. You are so creative!

Jennifer

22. Jennifer on October 12, 2010 at 5:22 am

so jealous of your silhouette machine. I've been wanting one so badly, just don't have the funds, darn it.

23. Lindy on October 12, 2010 at 5:14 am

I love these. So simple but so cute!

24. 3LittleByrds on October 12, 2010 at 5:04 am

I love it Whitney. Too cute. I totally need those plates since it goes with my last name 🙂 I want one of those machines too.

25. Carey Clemons Bailey on October 12, 2010 at 4:42 am