Burlap Trees… Take 2!

Thanks so much for all your sweet comments on the ruffled trees in my last post!  I owe Erin for that awesome idea and I wanted to give you guys one more spin on these.  I decorate my house for Christmas in whites and blues… At least this year.  I am also a sucker for almost anything burlap and canvas which brought me to this take on the Ruffle Tree…
How cute, huh??
I only did a few things different…
Instead of ribbon I cut strips of burlap and drop cloth to ruffle up.
One reader asked if I did a continuous strip of the tree or if I glued it in layers.  Each tree is different.  The green one in my last post is one continuous strip going up the tree.  This tree is separate pieces at each layer.  This is what under the ruffles looks like…
I kept the edges nice and messy because I like them that way.  The bottom is the same.  I just glued on one of those great wooden spindles.  You can also use a candlestick!
And I did the twine around the top with a few jingle bells just like before…
That’s it! All done…

For those of you that prefer a more muted Christmas like myself, this is your tree πŸ™‚
Also, I had a few readers ask about the ruffler foot.  I have a Brother NX-600 sewing machine.  I have this ruffler foot here except mine is silver.

My neighbor down the street just bought a ruffler for her White machine and found the cheapest on Ebay.  If you find one on Ebay (just search Ruffler foot) you can ask the seller if it fits your model.  If you have a local sewing store they may carry them there as well.  They all fit just a bit different so make sure that it fits your model.  Hope this helps!
Have a super weekend… I’m going to get my Christmas tree up πŸ™‚
Thanks again Miss Erin for this super cute idea!!

post signature

1. Sierra on November 30, 2010 at 1:01 am

hey, another question. thanks for answering my last one, but i can't find the email now. in your opinion, how well do real cotton branches hold up? because i found a guy online that sells real cotton branches. they're a little cheaper than ballard's, but i don't want to get them if the fake ones at ballard's will last longer. thanks again!
    -sierra
    sierra.keaster@gmail.com

2. Sierra on November 22, 2010 at 4:32 am

love it! where did you get the cotton puffs? i want a branch or two. thanks!
    sierra.keaster@gmail.com

3. luvnmy10 on November 18, 2010 at 2:57 am

Love these darling understated trees–very charming and cozy looking. Can you tell us where to get the cotton in the background? I have looked and don't seem to know where to find some. Thanks for sharing.

4. Tasha on November 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Love this..so elegant! Thanks for the idea! I hope you don't mind me featuring you on my site today!
    Have a great day!
    Tasha

5. Rachel@oneprettything.com on November 16, 2010 at 7:32 am

That is so pretty! I love the cloth and burlap combo. Thanks for the details, I'll be linking.

6. Michelle@Somedaycrafts on November 16, 2010 at 1:17 am

Absolutely adorable! I am featuring this too at somedaycrafts.blogpsot.com.

7. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row on November 15, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I do really love this – you make it look easy!

8. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row on November 15, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I do really love this – you make it look easy!

9. Chateau Chic Boutique on November 15, 2010 at 5:05 am

Oh my goodness! Looooving this little tree! I'll have to go back and check out how-to on the first one. Now my wheels are spinning…I just got some sheet music fabric from JoAnns, that could be really cute inbetween the dropcloth fabric.
    Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Missy

10. thatgirlblogs on November 14, 2010 at 3:51 am

I love neutrals, this is pretty! I don't sew… but I loved it.

11. Lisa on November 14, 2010 at 12:58 am

I am so sewing-challenged – I'm dying to make ruffles but you don't even want to see what happens when I try to sew a straight line. Your ideas are fabulous, thank you for sharing. I am filing this one away for when I take a sewing class!

12. Ele at abitofpinkheaven on November 14, 2010 at 12:53 am

super cute!

13. Sawdust and Paperscraps on November 13, 2010 at 11:54 pm

That's so cute!

14. Beth on November 13, 2010 at 11:24 pm

You can also ruffle by tightening your bobbin thread and lengthening your top thread, just sew a straght line and your material will ruffle automatically.

15. allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com on November 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Kind of adore this idea! I have 3 Styrofoam cones just waiting to be transformed! Thanks for sharing your genius!

16. Traci@ Beneath My Heart on November 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Love it! When I saw the other tree you made, my first thought was, "I'm going to make one in burlap!" I knew it would be adorable and it is! Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚

17. One Cheap B*tch on November 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Oooh, I think I love this one best!

Jeanine

18. Kathy on November 13, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Love your ruffled tree

19. Erin on November 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I LOVE IT! Way to go friend. And thanks for all the mentions…you're awesome like that! Seriously, you OWN this idea…I never could have taken them to this level if it were just up to me. You's the bestest! ;o) See you next week…

20. The Gunter Family on November 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I love these trees! If you don't have a ruffler foot do you think you could use elastic thread to create the ruffle look??

21. Tales From My Empty Nest on November 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

That is so cute. Love it!!! Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

22. Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek on November 13, 2010 at 2:47 pm

That is WAY cute! I want to make one. Right now.

23. Krista@thegatheringplacedesign on November 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm

So cute! Love these:)

24. jenclair on November 13, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I love this version! But I do have lots of left-over Christmas fabrics, too. May make some to give as gifts. Thanks for a great idea!

25. Carey Clemons Bailey on November 13, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Oh I HAVE to make this! Thank you! With Joy, Carey

26. Lori Katies Rose Cottage on November 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm

AHHHH sooooo cute !!
    I am dying to do some
    of those !!
    pictures and ideas ~

xoxo
    Lori

27. Cindy on November 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I love your ruffle tree! It is the cutest!
    Hugs, Cindy

28. LouLou@thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com on November 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I love all the trees… Such a cute idea.. I also love my ruffler foot! I don't know how I EVER made all those ruffle pants without them….

29. Shelly on November 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm

This is my favorite! I hope to get one accomplished this weekend! Thanks for sharing.

30. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) on November 13, 2010 at 2:04 pm

It looks amazing. Love it. Hugs, Marty

31. Heather-Paper Princess Studios on November 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Love all the trees but especially LOVE this version..SO cute! And I think a ruffler foot is on my Christmas list now πŸ™‚