Ruffle Christmas Trees!!

Yes girls… It’s that time again! Well, for me it comes a bit sooner in the year than most but I am pretty sure that is a hereditary thing (our mom puts on Christmas music in late September).  So… Let’s get to it!  Here is my latest project…

How cute are those?? I can only take credit for execution on this one.  My sweet friend/ partner-in-crime Erincame over for a craft day this week.  She told me she would be bringing lots of “goodies”!  Not only did she bring goodies… She also brought LOTS of super cute ideas! This is just one of them.
We started with a few supplies…
We started with some super cute ribbon from Hobby Lobby.
And a few styrofoam cones!
STOP! Don’t click the red X just yet!! I am hoping that this will be the post that I will finally convince all of you that you need both a basic sewing machine and a ruffler foot.  This is so super easy and everything is cuter with a ruffle 🙂
I ran one end of the ribbon through the ruffler and a few minutes later I was done.
I started by glueing the ruffles from the bottom to the top.  I used my hot glue gun at a low temp setting to keep it from melting the cone.
On this tree I alternated my ribbon on each row… Just because it’s cute.
We needed some feet for our trees and I quickly remembered the stash of wooden spindles I scored in Round Top that have been hiding in my garage.  My hubby has asked if he can throw them out about 16,465 times so I am sure he was happy to see at least two of them leave the pile.
I used my saw to cut off the ends of a couple of them to use as bases.  You can also use a candlestick like Erin did on her paper trees!
Then I gave them a coat of our very fav Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Heirloom White!
I also used it to paint these super cute mini finials I found at Hobby Lobby!
Finally, I glued my base to my bottom.
Yah, that’s a different tree but I will share that later 🙂
I glued my finial to the top and wrapped some twine around it just because it’s cute.  I had some little silver jingle bells that I tied on to each end.  That’s it!
Don’t you love them!?! So now is the time (if you have not already) to get a sewing machine and ruffler on that Christmas list!! It’s so easy… I promise!!

I hope you like trees because there are more to come :-)!!
Have a happy Friday!
Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

post signature

1. tomiannie on November 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Oh, my goodness! I LOVE it!

2. Tracy on November 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm

In love. Got tricked into decorating a table for a Christmas banquet … I'm thinking you just saved my skin. Never heard of a "ruffler" foot before … am going to break down and buy one. Thanks for the great idea!

3. Kelly and Nate Wright on November 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm

So cute! Since my new phone is my Christmas present this year, I have asked my hubby if I could get him a sewing machine 🙂

4. Sawdust and Paperscraps on November 16, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Love this idea! So cute!!!

5. SewSpecial on November 16, 2010 at 2:34 pm

when you layered the different ribbons, did you do one row at a time?

6. concretenprimroses on November 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Very pretty and unique trees.
    I'm still using the Singer touch and sew that my parents bought me almost 40 years ago, and I've not used all the attachments. Now I'm wondering if it has a ruffle foot. gotta go look!
    Kathy

7. Maria on November 16, 2010 at 2:15 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! I am so copying it! How the heck did you score those banister things? I am interested in the store you got them at! Also, what do you consider a resonable price for a ruffle foot? I want to get one. Sorry for all the questions! 🙂 You can find me at
    youcraftmeup.blogspot.com

8. [email protected] on November 16, 2010 at 1:16 am

Very cute! Loving them. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

9. Katie @ This Chick Cooks on November 16, 2010 at 1:14 am

These are adorable trees! I love them!

10. Pamela Michelle on November 16, 2010 at 1:13 am

OMG, amazing! Newest follower 🙂

11. Chateau Chic Boutique on November 15, 2010 at 5:23 am

These are so cute. I must say though that I REALLY love the new ones you just did with the burlap. I have not sewn on my own…yet. My Mom is an awesome sewer and highly recommended a great Brother machine for me from Costco but I think it doesn't take a ruffler. I think it just takes a gathering foot. Do you think that would work too?
    Thanks again for your inspiration!
    Missy

12. Christy on November 15, 2010 at 1:37 am

These are super cute! I am going to make these with my girls this year! What a fun project, I love it!

13. Tardevil on November 15, 2010 at 12:18 am

Most awesome. I'll take 3 please! Lol! I've got to get one of those ruffler thingies.

14. Angie on November 14, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I adore these! So cute!

15. La-Dee-da crafter on November 14, 2010 at 7:04 am

I am in texas….where or what is Roundtop? Love the trees.
    creationsbyladeeda.blogspot.com

16. Ashley on November 14, 2010 at 4:15 am

These are incredible! I love ruffles and you can't beat them mixed with Christmas. These are now on my "to Make" list. Thanks.

17. hipchic~cynde on November 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I love it!!!! Have got to make it!!! Hope you don't mind…I am sharing this post on my blog it is just too great. 🙂 Have a great weekend

18. [email protected] on November 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Adorable! The spindle leg add just the right touch!

19. Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek on November 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm

must. find. something cone shaped in my house TODAY and make these!

I LOVE that green one!

20. Tammy at Tattered and Timeless on November 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Whitney – love those trees. Here is another tree idea you can do and use up those spindles. I make these every year for our towns huge antique festival and they sell out.
    They are called spindle trees:
    the trees are the burlap based ones from michaels- 24 inch for $6.99