Cheap but Chic Christmas Gift!

Hey Guys!!
So my project is a great gift for neighbors, teachers, friends or family!  Here is the finished product…
It’s a super simple photo, recipe or memo display!
Here is how to make it!
All of these supplies can be found at craft stores and hardware stores.
You will start with some wood ovals and a bag of small candlesticks.  I got mine from Hobby Lobby.  The wood ovals were $.50 a piece and the candlesticks were $2.99 for the bag.
I used e6000 to attach a candlestick to one of my ovals.
For my big piece I used a 2x8x8 from Lowe’s.  Home Depot will cut it down for you if you don’t want to purchase the whole piece.  I cut my wood in 11″ pieces to use for these.  If you don’t have a saw just have Home Depot cut it for you when you buy it… Easy!
I bought these cute scrollies (professional term) from Hobby Lobby to add a little detail.  They were $1.99 for a package of 2.
I used my glue to attach it to the bottom of the wood.  I made two displays going different directions so I could show you both.
I added some e6000 to the now dry candlestick and attached the large wood piece to it.
Drying…
I found these great finials at Lowe’s.  I love them and use them on LOTS.  They are $1.86 for 2.
I drilled a small hole in the top of the wood.  You don’t have to drill a hole but it does make this part much faster!
And added my finial.
I found these clips at Walmart.  They are $1.88 for a pack of 4.
I added some Gorilla Glue Epoxy to one of the clips….
And stuck it to my display.
Here they are ready for some spray paint.
I sprayed both displays with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch.  I used Heirloom White on one and Canyon Black on the other. After they were dry I used my sanding block to shanty the edges up a bit!  Here is how they turned out!
Hope you like them!  They are fun, easy and best of all CHEAP!
If you want to make these for just $5 a piece you need to make 4 of them.  Because the supplies come in bags and groups that is the best way to get more bang for your buck!  I will be giving mine to my kids teachers this year.  My mom is my neighbor so she may just get one too!
Thanks Miss Kari for having us!
U Create
This will be the first of 3 photo display ideas I will be showing you guys this week!  Just in time for Christmas…

post signature

1. she wears flowers on December 6, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I LOVE this–thanks for sharing!

2. Sassy Sites! on December 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Adorable idea!! I featured this over at my Christmas party at Sassy Sites! Come by and check it out!

3. Embellish on December 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I absolutely love this project. My sisters and I make homemade gifts for one another every Christmas. I have to make this form them. They would love it!!! Thank you for sharing your creative idea!!!

4. Blessed Mommy of 2 on December 5, 2010 at 6:11 pm

These are SO cute! I am in the process of making them now. Can't wait to give them as Christmas or Birthday gifts this year!!! =)

5. Cole on December 5, 2010 at 3:20 am

Love this idea!! I can't wait to gather all the supplies and start cranking out a few for gifts. Not to mention one or two for myself 🙂

6. Shanty 2 Chic on December 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the scrollies!

Mine are 11". I think it's just a taste preference. If you feel they are too big, just cut them down. I bet they would look great smaller too.

Let me know if you have any other questions :-)!

7. Bri, Ash and Ty on December 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

My hobby lobby was out of those scrollie things so if you have a Michaels near by they care them too! Just wanted to let people know that in case they had a hard time like me finding them : )

Also, Whitney…I'm in the process of making these and feel like the wood block is totally overwhelming. I know I did the exact size you said but just wondering if you felt that way too until you got them all done. Just wondering. I'm contemplating cutting it down from 11" to like 9 1/2" or something. Thanks!

8. [email protected] Beneath My Heart on December 4, 2010 at 4:45 am

I love this idea! I think I might use it for my Christmas mantel. 🙂

9. Haleyuns on December 4, 2010 at 1:05 am

Love this!! Can't wait to make some!! I featured it on my little craft blog too if that's ok.http://
    auntielolocrafts.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Lois

10. kati on December 4, 2010 at 1:05 am
  11. Miss Bear on December 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I love this idea! I want to make some for friends!

Do you have any fun crafty ideas for displaying Christmas cards?? I'm in need of one. 🙂

12. Casii on December 3, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Holy Flip Coolness!

13. Jen (emeraldsunshine.org) on December 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm definitely adding this blog to my reader. 🙂

14. Lindsey and Eric Rarey on December 3, 2010 at 7:19 am

This is such a great idea! I was looking for a great picture frame idea for pictures of my daughter for the Grandparents that wasn't just a boring old picture frame! I already bought the materials the only thing that's killing me is those wooden appliques! No one has them and I don't have a hobby lobby!! 🙁 Thanks for the great Idea, I'm going to make some decorative appliques from Lowe's work tho I think they're too big and the pictures will go over them. You guys are so creative over here I LOVE your posts!

15. Say on December 3, 2010 at 5:30 am

Very cute.. that would look good with my Christmas card attached. Thanks for the idea!

16. Serena on December 2, 2010 at 5:54 pm

So cute!!

17. Katrine on December 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I love this! I think I'll make some for sister-in-law gifts. Thank you!

18. MeenyMoe on December 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm

What a wonderful idea! Great way to present a family photo to a family member as a gift! I think it'd be a great way to present a great pic of a pet belonging to a friend! My creative wheels are turning! Thanks! -Karen

19. Lindsay on December 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

My sister and I were looking for a gift to make our friends for Christmas, and I think you gave us exactly what we were looking for!

20. jenclair on December 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Love these! They would make great gifts for anyone, especially since they are handmade. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!