Cheap but Chic Christmas Gift!

Hey Guys!!
So my project is a great gift for neighbors, teachers, friends or family!  Here is the finished product…
It’s a super simple photo, recipe or memo display!
Here is how to make it!
All of these supplies can be found at craft stores and hardware stores.
You will start with some wood ovals and a bag of small candlesticks.  I got mine from Hobby Lobby.  The wood ovals were $.50 a piece and the candlesticks were $2.99 for the bag.
I used e6000 to attach a candlestick to one of my ovals.
For my big piece I used a 2x8x8 from Lowe’s.  Home Depot will cut it down for you if you don’t want to purchase the whole piece.  I cut my wood in 11″ pieces to use for these.  If you don’t have a saw just have Home Depot cut it for you when you buy it… Easy!
I bought these cute scrollies (professional term) from Hobby Lobby to add a little detail.  They were $1.99 for a package of 2.
I used my glue to attach it to the bottom of the wood.  I made two displays going different directions so I could show you both.
I added some e6000 to the now dry candlestick and attached the large wood piece to it.
Drying…
I found these great finials at Lowe’s.  I love them and use them on LOTS.  They are $1.86 for 2.
I drilled a small hole in the top of the wood.  You don’t have to drill a hole but it does make this part much faster!
And added my finial.
I found these clips at Walmart.  They are $1.88 for a pack of 4.
I added some Gorilla Glue Epoxy to one of the clips….
And stuck it to my display.
Here they are ready for some spray paint.
I sprayed both displays with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch.  I used Heirloom White on one and Canyon Black on the other. After they were dry I used my sanding block to shanty the edges up a bit!  Here is how they turned out!
Hope you like them!  They are fun, easy and best of all CHEAP!
If you want to make these for just $5 a piece you need to make 4 of them.  Because the supplies come in bags and groups that is the best way to get more bang for your buck!  I will be giving mine to my kids teachers this year.  My mom is my neighbor so she may just get one too!
Thanks Miss Kari for having us!
U Create
This will be the first of 3 photo display ideas I will be showing you guys this week!  Just in time for Christmas…

post signature

1. Michael - Innkeeper on January 5, 2011 at 1:52 am

you are genius!! these are so great!

2. Corinna on January 4, 2011 at 5:52 pm

awesome! I had no idea you could buy unfinished wood finials at Lowes! Where have you been all my life? 🙂

3. amisparky on December 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the great idea. I made them for Christmas gifts. I have given one set (tall black, wide white) and they were a big hit! Thanks again!

4. Pam on December 23, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Fantastic idea, simple and lovely…and one I might just have to give a try with. THanks for sharing.

5. Becky on December 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Awesome, fantastic, totally original! Thanks for sharing.

6. Meg on December 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I totally tried to copy this! Yours turned out way better, but then–I was going the super duper-schmooper cheap route! Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Lori on December 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm

You have the best ideas ever!!! I finally got all of my supplies and am in the middle of making 16 of these. I am making these for all of my daycare parents for Christmas!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

8. The Pittsburgh Hites on December 17, 2010 at 6:49 am

Thank you SO much!! I LOVE this idea, and just went out and got the supplies tonight!! The finials are in the lumber department (at my Lowe's), with all the scroll work. They come in 3 sizes, but I was surprised at how big the small ones are! They look GREAT though!!!
    Instead of the little scroll "thingies" we found little snowflakes and beveled wood pieces at Jo-ann's! I LOVE how they look and can't wait to spray-paint them tomorrow!!!

9. reclaimers on December 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I made these and blogged about it for my craft club! 🙂

You can find us here – http://nwareclaimers.blogspot.com

10. PJ @ Home Decor Accents | outdoor Garden Decorations on December 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm

This is absolutely amazing!
    Those picture displays are just too cute.
    How do you come up with such great ideas?

11. Noel on December 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I found the finials at my lowes with their other decorative wood pieces. Same aisle as the fence post pieces you can make candle stands from! Sorry Im not more help! I just pulled up the blog on my phone and showed a Lowe's worker (in building materials area) what I was looking for. She took me right to the spot!

12. Bri, Ash and Ty on December 10, 2010 at 6:50 am

The finials I used on mine I got at Hobby Lobby. They are a little bit smaller than Whitney's I think. However, they still turned out super cute : )

13. Anonymous on December 10, 2010 at 5:09 am

These are so cute! I am having a hard time as well trying to find the finials. I have tried every Lowes in the state. Can you tell me where in Lowes you got them.
    Thanks

14. Shauna on December 10, 2010 at 1:34 am

I too am desperately seeking the FINIALS! I have searched online. I have done a barcode search.

PLEASE HELP! I have all the items and no FINIALS 🙁

It's gorgeous! It's going to be my sister in law gift. They don't like me so much, so maybe I can WOW them LOL!

Thank you!

15. Lauren and Nick Miller on December 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I am trying to do these, but I'm having the hardest time finding the finials. I've tried 2 different Lowe's. Where exactly are they in Lowe's?? Thanks so much!!

16. Kiss of Whimsy on December 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm

What a great project, thanks for the idea!

17. Anonymous on December 7, 2010 at 5:22 am

I think I just posted a question for the wrong craft….
    it was actually for this frame. I love it and am in the process of making them for Christmas presents!
    Where exactly did you get the finials for the top?
    Lowes does not seem to carry them…..
    Thanks for the great idea!

Leslie

18. Hackbusch Family on December 7, 2010 at 1:18 am

These would also be neat in the kitchen as recipe card holders. So many neat uses. Thanks for another great idea.

19. Odd Dotty on December 7, 2010 at 1:13 am

I am so in love with this project idea!! It's a perfect grandparent gift. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

20. Odd Dotty on December 7, 2010 at 1:13 am