Cheap but Chic Christmas Gift!

Hey Guys!!
So my project is a great gift for neighbors, teachers, friends or family!  Here is the finished product…
It’s a super simple photo, recipe or memo display!
Here is how to make it!
All of these supplies can be found at craft stores and hardware stores.
You will start with some wood ovals and a bag of small candlesticks.  I got mine from Hobby Lobby.  The wood ovals were $.50 a piece and the candlesticks were $2.99 for the bag.
I used e6000 to attach a candlestick to one of my ovals.
For my big piece I used a 2x8x8 from Lowe’s.  Home Depot will cut it down for you if you don’t want to purchase the whole piece.  I cut my wood in 11″ pieces to use for these.  If you don’t have a saw just have Home Depot cut it for you when you buy it… Easy!
I bought these cute scrollies (professional term) from Hobby Lobby to add a little detail.  They were $1.99 for a package of 2.
I used my glue to attach it to the bottom of the wood.  I made two displays going different directions so I could show you both.
I added some e6000 to the now dry candlestick and attached the large wood piece to it.
Drying…
I found these great finials at Lowe’s.  I love them and use them on LOTS.  They are $1.86 for 2.
I drilled a small hole in the top of the wood.  You don’t have to drill a hole but it does make this part much faster!
And added my finial.
I found these clips at Walmart.  They are $1.88 for a pack of 4.
I added some Gorilla Glue Epoxy to one of the clips….
And stuck it to my display.
Here they are ready for some spray paint.
I sprayed both displays with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch.  I used Heirloom White on one and Canyon Black on the other. After they were dry I used my sanding block to shanty the edges up a bit!  Here is how they turned out!
Hope you like them!  They are fun, easy and best of all CHEAP!
If you want to make these for just $5 a piece you need to make 4 of them.  Because the supplies come in bags and groups that is the best way to get more bang for your buck!  I will be giving mine to my kids teachers this year.  My mom is my neighbor so she may just get one too!
Thanks Miss Kari for having us!
U Create
This will be the first of 3 photo display ideas I will be showing you guys this week!  Just in time for Christmas…

post signature

1. Jennifer on October 12, 2019 at 4:35 am

Is it really a 2×8? It looks thinner like a 1×8 instead.

2. Monica Magsam Symchych on June 19, 2015 at 9:11 am

So, my friends and I are having a Pinterest Craft Party and tonight we are doing your craft 🙂 Everyone wanted to make two frames because these are so nice! Turns out Hobby Lobby wasn’t prepared for our craft party! lol! My only question is how long did you let the clip set up before spray painting? We are obviously pressed for time and I’m wondering if we will need to hot glue the clips for times sake? Suggestions?

3. Pinterest Addicted on December 4, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Great idea! I have almost all of the materials to make this, thanks!

4. momtoec on December 13, 2013 at 6:45 am

Can you tell me the size of the finished piece of wood? I’m confused.. 11 inches seems really big. Is that the size, though?

5. Jennifer on July 13, 2011 at 4:38 am

Love, love, LOVE THESE!!! I have a question. You said that the size wood you used for the bigger was was 11 inches. How big did you cut the wood that you used for the white one? It looks smaller than the black one.
    Jennifer

6. Libby on April 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I love this idea and have made several for myself and friends 🙂 I mentioned you on my blog, A Perfectly Crazy Life, at http://aperfectlycrazylife.blogspot.com/2011/04/happy-happy-friday.html. Love your site!

• Shanty2Chic on April 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm

That’s great!!! Thanks so much for the shout out!! 🙂
      Whitney

7. Michelle @ Creative-Outbursts on March 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Came from Restored Interiors. These frames are FABULOUS! I am your newest follower!

8. Lauren and Michele on January 12, 2011 at 6:37 am

Thanks for the great tutorial! I made one for my friend and it turned out super cute! We put it on our blog too :). http://coffeeatthree.blogspot.com/2011/01/clip-picture-frame.html

9. Dee on January 11, 2011 at 4:56 am

Thank you so very much! Turned out very very cute! Now I know what I'm getting tomorrow 🙂