Photo Block Tutorial ~ Great Gift!!

Hey guys!!
We are gearing up to spend Christmas with my in-laws.  I love spending Christmas with them.  They are the most creative people I know and I hardly ever make them anything… Why make them something that I know they could make better :))??
But… I decided to brave it this year and make them some family photo blocks.  They love receiving new pictures of my kiddos and if you know me at all, you know that I love photo art!  Here is what I made them…
Want to make your own?  Here is how I did it…
I started with my wood.  I purchased a 2x4x8 and a 2x6x8 from Lowe’s.
You could just stick with one size but I liked the variation.
I cut my wood using my saw into squares.  Since the 2x4x8 is actually 3.5″ wide I cut each those 3.5″.
The 2x6x8 is actually 5.5″ so I cut those 5.5″.
I also cut a long piece of the 2×6 about 20″ long.
Then everything received a coat of my very favorite…
After spraying each of the blocks and letting them dry I used an 80 grit sanding block on the edges to shanty it up a bit.
Then I used some dark walnut stain on a sponge brush to darken my sanded edges.  I just barely painted it on like below…
And then used an old t-shirt to wipe all of my excess off.  This left my edges perfectly shanty.
Here they are ready for my next step!
I used a trimmer to cut my pictures down to size.  For my little blocks I do 4×6 photos and my larger ones I like to use 5×7 but I only had 4×6 so I used those for this project.  I cut each picture about 1/2″ smaller than the blocks.
I then used some 3M photo safe spray adhesive to attach my photos to my blocks.
This stuff is great! You can leave your blocks like that or add a little Mod Podge like I did.
I like to use Matte Mod Podge.
I used a paint brush to put a thin layer over each block.  I only did the side with the picture. It goes on white and dries clear.
Now I used my very favorite new tool for my next step!

“>Silhouette Electronic Cutting Tool

I know I have shown you lots of things my Silhouette Machine can do.  Here is another!
I used Silhouette’s Brown Vinyl to cut out the word Blessings on my machine.
Here is what my computer looked like.  I spaced the letters to get the most letters in the smallest space.
I then let the machine cut it out for me while I burped the baby 🙂
I peeled the letters up from the sheet…
And attached them to my wood block.  Cute… But missing a little something!
So I added a scrolly!
Yep… Much better!
After my photo blocks were all dry I stacked them on top and took a picture for you guys!
Another fun thing is that you can arrange the blocks however you want.
That makes them perfect for a fickle decorator like myself!
Hope you liked them!!  These were so fun to make!!  I can’t wait to make some for myself that I don’t have to wrap up.  I am excited to see their reaction when they receive it though.
So… If you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet it’s time!  Go wink at Santa and tell him you need one 🙂

“>Silhouette Electronic Cutting Tool

Have a great weekend!

post signature

1. Aubrey on January 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I just made one of these today and have the wood cut for more. What font did you use and how big were the letters? I can't seem to get it right.

2. Anonymous on January 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

3. ACAKLA on January 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This is fabulous!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOVE it!

4. Crystal on January 3, 2011 at 12:28 am

Love this! I am in the middle of making it right now, except with a cricut (which I would trade for a silhouette any day!. I have run into a snag though, the photos I printed at home smeared badly when I coated them with mod podge, so I am on my way to pick up some more from the photo lab, crossing my fingers they don't smear!

5. Nif @ strongmothers.com on December 31, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I LOVE this idea! I want to make these for all my friends and family! Thank you for the inspiration. You two are our feature today at strongmothers.com. Come visit us! 🙂

6. The DIY Show Off on December 28, 2010 at 11:52 pm

What a cute project and perfect gift idea! Love your creativity! 😉

Have a Happy New Year you two!
    Roeshel

7. [email protected] on December 23, 2010 at 11:22 am

That's beautiful! I love all the projects you have this week! I'll be linking.

8. Valerie on December 21, 2010 at 2:57 am

So very sweet and simple! I know what my next project is! 🙂

9. The Scrappy Cottage on December 20, 2010 at 5:54 am

I am so going to be making some of these. Love it……

10. sherryberry079 on December 20, 2010 at 12:25 am

Love it that is so clever!! Thanks for the idea.

11. The only and only Lady: on December 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Love it!

Come by this week…I will be posting a new blog with something that is made with 2X4's also!!!

12. Stephanie on December 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I want to make these NOW for my mom for xmas.

Any of you crafters have suggestions for what to use for the 'Blessings' if I don't have the Silhouette (yet!)??

13. Natalie on December 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm

This hast to be the best tutorial I've seen all year!! What a fabulous idea!

14. taradara on December 18, 2010 at 5:01 am

Great tutorial!! Thanks for putting so much time in to it!

15. Rugrats & Royalty on December 18, 2010 at 2:56 am

Gorgeous! Since I've already done my Christmas shopping, I think this would be great to do for Mother's Day or something! Definitely doing this!

16. she wears flowers on December 18, 2010 at 12:20 am

I was in need for one more "just the right gift" until I saw this–done! This is darling and just what I needed–thanks!!

17. Brittany on December 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm

My silhouette just came in and I cannot wait to start using it. I wondered if you are able to use other vinyl other than ordering off the site? The reason I ask is that I just got one color with it and I would love to make some Christmas presents but I know the vinyl will not get to me in time.

18. Kim on December 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm

WOW!!!!! I wish I could make this for my SIL for Christmas!!

19. Stacie on December 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm

LoVe it!! What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing!

20. Jamie @ Happy House, Happy Home on December 17, 2010 at 6:16 pm

oh my gosh, i just LOVE this! what a wonderful idea, and it turned out beautiful! thanks for sharing, and for the tutorial!!