Coffee Table Reveal

So, I shared my DIY Coffee Table with you all a few days ago and now I’m back to share how I finished it!

I love the size, the functionality and the “old” look….. and the fact that it only cost me $40 to build!!!

I started by painting the legs with a favorite ~ Rust-Oleum Heirloom White spray paint.

Next, I stained the top of the table with two coats of Minwax Dark Walnut Stain.  I painted it on with a foam brush, let it sit for about 15 minutes, wiped it off with an old cloth and repeated after 24 hours.

After another 24 hours I painted on 1 coat of Minwax Polycrylic Gloss with a Purdy brush.

To achieve a more “worn” look, I used my 3M sanding block to distress the edges of all of the legs…

and I followed up with a bit of Minwax Dark Walnut stain on the distressed edges.  Yes, I am doing this over my carpet.  I was so anxious to get the table in the house that I forgot to distress it:)

Ahh!  I LOVE it:)  This is where I do all of my blogging:)

Room for decor, my laptop, coffee and toys of course!

And, in case you get a crazy urge to “sit on a coffee table”….

Christy, this one’s for you;)  No creaking, wobbling, swaying….  Nope, this table is built SOLID!

Thanks so much for stopping by:)

~Ashley

1. I wanted to splurge! on November 9, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I’m really disappointed that I use stainable wood filler, and the stain didn’t cover it well 🙁 I can see all the spots where the filler was. I had planned on leaving the top stained, and the legs white, now I’ll have to do the opposite.
    Any hints as to what to use that would work?

2. Caryn Herb on July 26, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Hi Ashley! Was wondering if you could just share a little more detail about how you did the corners? how much did you sand them? what did you use to put the stain on? how long did you leave the stain on? 1 or 2 coats? Mine looks a little messy on the edges, doesn’t have that nice look like yours! Thanks!!!

3. Lori Orman on August 28, 2013 at 6:59 am

What is the color name on the spray paint that’s the exact color I want for my coffee table and bench I’m redoing. I want to sand and stain just like u did as well! Perfect!!

4. Sheri Keilman on May 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Hi Ashley, your table is beautiful! I have never built anything either, but just got onto Ana’s site and I’m ready to start a new hobbie! I love creating! Was wondering what the finished dimensions of your table are as I think I like the square also? I saw on one of the posts you changed the Leg joiners 39″, side aprons 34″,bread boards 45 1/2 from Ana’s plans, so are all the other cuts the same as her plans? Thanks so much!

5. Kristina on March 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I love the way your coffee table came out. I have a similar one and similar couches. I was wondering where you got the teal (what color blue?) pillows that are on the couch. They would match my living room perfect.

6. Casey on September 17, 2012 at 1:14 am

I am in the process of making this table as we speak! I am having so much fun, it’s my first ever project like this! I am wondering – how did you project the table top while spraying the legs/bottom portion of the table? If you could let me know, I would so appreciate it! THANKS!

• Shanty2Chic on September 17, 2012 at 6:08 am

I spray painted the legs and aprons before I assembled the top. If you have already assembled it I would stain the table first then spray paint. You can paint over stain but you cannot stain over paint:)
      Sent from my iPad

7. Briana on August 23, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It turned out wonderful! Thanks so much for the tutorial! We had so much fun making it. I just love it! I still have to distress the bottom a little bit more but overall, it’s done! Woo hoo!

8. Briana on August 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Thanks so much for this idea! My husband and I made this together! We had so much fun and it turned out so well!! I’m so happy with it! Thanks so much!

9. Amber on June 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hi Ashley,
    Just looking for the measurements/plans that you used to build the table as a square. Cant seem to find them on either post. Any chance you still have them lying around?? Heres hoping!!!

Ps: huge fan of your blog!!!!

10. Julia on May 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I love this table!! We are decorating a new home and I want to make one of these for the living room.. I can’t seem to find your plans (wood sizes, directions, etc) Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

11. Ashley on December 25, 2011 at 1:51 am

Great coffee table! My husband and I have been looking to make one ourselves but don’t know what wood to use. What do you think would be best?! Thanks so much.

12. Kim Bishop on December 6, 2011 at 4:15 am

Hi, i was wondering where you got your cute tin flower pot, i see that you have a couple of them. Love your blog, so many wonderful ideas. thanks, kim!

13. Camyrn on June 1, 2011 at 5:28 am

Which Grit sanding paper did you use on your sanding block? I love how it’s not too over distressed. I see sometimes you use your sanding block and other times 80-grit, is there is any difference between the two? =)

• Brandi on October 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Fabulous…in love with it! I do have a question though…On the can of polyurethane you used, I didn’t see “non-yellowing”. Have you seen any yellow tinitng on any of the areas you painted white? I’m asking b/c it happened to me on furniture I refinished white with a brown glaze. It ended up turning yellow and from what I found it’s b/c the polyurethane I used wasn’t “non-yellowing”.

Brandi

14. Amanda on May 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I’ve put together a round up of great table redos on Craft Gossip today and included your post. 🙂 You can see it here

I would love it if you would share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you’ve been featured, you can grab a button here!

15. The Tattered Cottage on May 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

WOW!! This is exactly the coffee table I have been looking for. Thank you for posting how you created this treasure! I love the contrast of the light and dark and the wonderful chunkiness of the table. You did a fantastic job!!
    Toni

16. Felicia on April 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm

As usual, another great project! Wish I could build!

Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters, today!

• Ashley on April 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Thanks so much Felicia! You can build! I just started about a year ago. I have no experience…. it is so addicting:)

17. Angie on April 25, 2011 at 2:00 am

Ashley,
    Love this coffee table! I would LOVE to have this in my living room…just let me know when you are tired of it. 😉

Angie

18. pclim on April 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I heart the last picture…because it’s shows the table is really WOW and so are you! LOVE LOVE LOVE from PC – Penang Malaysia, your new follower!

19. pclim on April 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Your last picture make me “WOW”! because it not only tell that the table is good…it shows the it’s WOW and so are YOU! Love from PC – Penang, Malaysia. Your new fan!

20. April on April 23, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Wow! That looks great! I really like the dark top with white legs…nice job! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

21. [email protected] OhhBaby on April 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm

i love it with the shine added! It looks so polished and wonderful!

22. Carlee on April 23, 2011 at 12:13 am

I love it, it looks like an piece of furniture you would spend a lot of money on! It looks great in your room!

23. Michelle @Thrifty 101 on April 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

I am in LOVE with this table!!! It’s beautiful! I’m so impressed you “Made it without my Hubby” (also LOVE that button! 🙂
    I would LOVE for you to link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ http://www.thrifty101.blogspot.com
    ~Michelle

• Ashley on April 22, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Awww thanks so much Michelle!!

24. Lauren on April 20, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Wow! This is beautiful 🙂 I may come to your house and steal this.

• Ashley on April 22, 2011 at 12:38 pm

LOL! Thank you Lauren:)))

25. Wendy on April 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Oh my, it looks fabulous!

• Ashley on April 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Thanks so much Wendy:))

26. Ashley @ DesignBuildLove.co on April 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

TOTALLY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go, and I LOVE that you’re bold enough to show it’s sturdiness by sitting on it! Great results and totally awesome idea to “knock-it-off” and get the size you want at a fraction of the cost! I’m new to your blog, but you’ve got a new follower!

• Ashley on April 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Thank you Ashley!!! So happy to have you:))) And yes, it saved a TON of money:)

27. Kimberly on April 19, 2011 at 3:06 am

beautiful table!

• Ashley on April 19, 2011 at 3:20 am

Thanks so much Kimberly:)))

28. Denise on April 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wow! Can you imagine how much this would go for a Pottery Barn?!

29. Shelia on April 18, 2011 at 3:24 am

Oh, your table is gorgeous! I love what you did and it’s so big too. You’re cute as a button! 🙂
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

• Ashley on April 18, 2011 at 11:50 am

Thanks for your sweet comment Shelia! Hope you have a great week:)

30. Cathy on April 18, 2011 at 1:56 am

Wow! I am impressed! You did a beautiful job, I love the colors you chose, I just did a similar color combo for a beverage cart that I painted but I like yours better!

• Ashley on April 18, 2011 at 2:34 am

31. Junker Newbie Stephanie on April 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm

hi – visiting from Funky Junk Interiors. This is a great table! Love the stained top. Great job! 🙂

• Ashley on April 18, 2011 at 12:58 am

32. Amber @ barbwired on April 16, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Super job! So much talent there!! You should be very proud of this!!

amber @ barbwired

33. WEST FURNITURE REVIVAL on April 16, 2011 at 2:59 am

the table looks great.. love it

• Ashley on April 16, 2011 at 10:30 am

Thanks so much:)

34. Tanya on April 15, 2011 at 1:27 am

looks great-such satisfaction doing it youself-especially when it turns out so well-love it!

• Ashley on April 15, 2011 at 3:51 am

Thank you so much Tanya! You’re right, it is very rewarding;)

35. Sew-Sumptuous on April 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

Great Table! I love it. Looks great in your room. Cath

• Ashley on April 14, 2011 at 11:53 am

Thanks so much Cath:))

36. jennifer on April 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

beautiful. great job

• Ashley on April 14, 2011 at 3:05 am

37. Minna on April 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

That table turned out beautiful! Any idea on what color to stain the top if all my other wooden pieces are made out of pine? I love the two tone with the white base. Will definitely be building one very soon! 🙂

• Ashley on April 14, 2011 at 3:07 am

Thank you Minna! Hmm…would you mind giving me more info on the piece you are wanting to stain so I can be more helpful? Happy building and thanks so much for stopping by;)

• Minna on April 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Oh…it would be a similar coffee table to the one you just built. I haven’t decided it I want it to be square or rectangular based upon the placement of the furniture. Could I shoot over a picture to you so that you can give me your opinion?

38. Denissa on April 13, 2011 at 10:38 pm

It looks amazing!! I love the contrast of the colors! Awesome job 🙂

39. Chris Wooten on April 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

GREAT jOB

Chris Wooten
    [email protected]

• Ashley on April 14, 2011 at 3:08 am

Thanks so much Chris!!!

40. June on April 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

That is gorgeous. Nice work. I myself have a backlogged list of KOW projects to get to.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Thank you June! Ana’s site is dangerous….I always find “one more thing” that I must have in my house;) Thanks for stopping by!

41. Jennifer on April 13, 2011 at 4:53 pm

FABULOUS!!! (=

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

42. Paula Chaffin on April 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm

That is just what your sofa unit needed. I thought that your trunk looked so nice because I am sooo partial to trunks but this I love!!! Nice job!!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Thank you Paula! I did love the trunk but now that I have a more functional table I am in love with it. It’s so nice to have a flat surface to decorate and set my coffee cup;) Thanks for stopping by!

43. Katrina McElhinney on April 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm

This looks awesome. A friend of mine has been looking for a coffee table just like this. I am wondering if you did anything before you put the stain on. ON the can it says to us some product to avoid streaking, just wondering if I can skip that step. Thanks

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Thank you Katrina! I didn’t do anything to it before besides sanding down the wood putty and rough edges. It didn’t streak and I have never had streaking when I have stained. Now, I am not a professional and I’m sure the proper way is to treat it before hand but I’m impatient:) Definitely put some sort of varnish on top of it to keep it sealed and protected!

• Katrina McElhinney on April 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Thanks so much. I love your blog!! You rock!!

44. Tiffany on April 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I luv this look, I plan on changing the finish on my kitchen table legs for this same feel. Great job!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Sounds awesome Tiffany! Thank you so much:)

45. Audrey on April 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I absolutely love it!!! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Audrey! Happy to have you stop by:)

46. Kristen: Turning a House into a Home on April 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

It is absolutely beautiful! Beautiful! Mind if I ask what the cost break down looked like? I really want to build a coffee table but am sure it will be more than I budget.

Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thank you Kristen! I did forget to mention the cost….I’m sorry. I went back and added it so hopefully others will be able to see it. I only spent $40 and I had to buy every piece of wood for it. This is not including the stain, polycrylic or spray paint… I would add another $30 for that if you don’t already have it:) Thanks so much for stopping by!

47. Jan on April 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm

That is Fabulous! You are very talented!! I LoVe it!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Thank you Jan! You are too sweet:) I had great plans to follow and that made a HUGE difference. Couldn’t have done it without ’em:) Thanks so much for stopping by!

48. Pamela on April 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Nice job, it looks very similar to my farm house table I built and blogged. I too did the dark top and white base. Though I did a crackle coat and used 2 x 12’s for the top. It was so cold out I had to build it inside my living room. We still love it and it is just the right size for our small dining area. I have been wanting to start a coffee table, this post gives me even more incentive to get er done~

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Thank you Pamela:) Your table sounds beautiful! Enjoying a piece you hand built is so rewarding not to mention the money you save in doing so! I rarely build outside now unless it is spring or fall:) Summer is way too hot here in DFW! Good luck on your coffee table:)

49. Jennifer on April 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Love it!! It turned out so nice! I also like how you show that it is sturdy with you sitting on it!!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Thank you Jennifer! It really is sturdy! I had to get up and down off of it several times and it never even wobbled or creaked! Thanks for stopping by!

50. Elaine on April 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Wow, that looks amazing. I have to admit I was a teeny bit skeptical at the beginning, silly me. I want to tackle one for me now. Love it, love it, love it!!!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Thank you Elaine! I love that I only spent $40 on it and it took an afternoon to build! The finishing took a little longer but the end result is worth it:) Good luck on your build and thanks so much for stopping by!

51. Sarah @ The Birds Papaya on April 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

So awesome! and you, what the heck…how do you look that good sittin’ a top a coffee table? fabulous 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Haha thank you Sarah that’s so sweet! Hope you have a great Wednesday:)

52. debbie on April 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I absolutely love it.. I’d love to try and build one. I like that its sturdy built too. Love that dark walnut stain.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Thank you Debbie! Dark Walnut is my favorite stain right now because it is so rich! It really was not a hard build. It would have been super easy had I not had to make the measurement changes and build it square vs. rectangle. Go for it:) Thanks for stopping by!

53. Jessica on April 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love that. I made Ana’s coffee table with the flip up lid and that is what my feet are currently resting on. I am using it unfinished and have been for about a year but I know now how I will be finishing it. Thanks!!!
    Did you know ( I’m sure that you do) that Rustoleum sells Heirloom white by the quart? It’s only about $9 @ Menards. I buy all my paint there since it is way less than Lowes or HD.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Thank you Jessica! I had no idea you could purchase Heirloom White by the quart!!! Ahh! We don’t have a Menards in DFW though:( I’ll be on the lookout though! Thanks so much for the tip!

54. jen on April 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

love it! looks amazing! i’m curious how much it ended up costing you? thx! 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thank you Jen. I’m glad you asked because I forgot to add that to my post! It only cost me $40!!! Not even kiddding! I just went and added that to the post. Thanks again!

55. mommahen on April 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

Love the top of this coffee table! It turned out great. It’s funny that you sat on it, haha, we use our coffee table for seating all the time!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

That is too funny! Thanks so much for sharing:)))

56. Lolly on April 13, 2011 at 10:40 am

That looks fantastic! You are inspiring me to build. My husband wants a wall of book cases and I am thinking I might could do it if I can find some plans. He wants them stained and about 3 sections wide. Any ideas on where to look for plans?

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thank you Lolly! Go to Ana White’s site. She has a TON of building plans and I know she has awesome book cases;)

57. Christina @ Christina's Adventures on April 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE! And I would TOTALLY do the work in the family room too…it’s been done too many times now…whoops!

You did a gorgeous job with this!!!! 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

Thank you Christina! Sometimes it’s more comfortable to work inside;) Thanks for stopping by!

58. Jaime @ thatsmyletter on April 13, 2011 at 8:57 am

Ashley from one Ana White lover to another your table turned out beautiful. It just goes to show we can make totally functional and custom furniture without paying retail.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Thank you Jaime! Ana has saved me a TON! and I like the furniture I have built more than the furniture I have paid a fortune for:) Thanks so much for stopping by!

59. Ange on April 13, 2011 at 8:29 am

Wow, that looks fantastic and goes so well in that space! You certainly have done a wonderful job.
    Angex

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

60. Angela on April 13, 2011 at 5:25 am

Wow! That is awesome. Also, didn’t you just have a baby who resides in that beautiful nursery? Your energy (and legs!) are incredible.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

Haha thank you Angela! You are too sweet! Thanks so much for stopping by:)

61. [email protected] on April 13, 2011 at 4:47 am

This looks great! One of these days I’m going to BUILD something, too! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

Thank you Korrie:) Start with something small like an end table. Warning: It is addicting:) Happy building and thanks so much for stopping by!

62. kathleen schriber on April 13, 2011 at 4:45 am

very nice. i can see you love what you’re doing.

kat

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thank you Kat! I’m so happy that you can see that because I so do:)) Thanks so much for stopping by!

63. Kara on April 13, 2011 at 3:58 am

GORGEOUS!!! You are so very talented!! Sometimes I wonder what your husband must think about all your fantastic talents 🙂 You would make a bundle selling your furniture!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 4:01 am

Thank you Kara! You are so sweet! My husband is finally appreciative of my wood working but not the mess I leave behind in the garage;) Thanks for stopping by!

64. [email protected] creative attempts on April 13, 2011 at 3:53 am

I love this. I need to get brave with some power tools 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:59 am

Thank you Lacie! Don’t be scared of them. I was at first too but the more you use them the less intimidating they become! You can get your wood cut at your hardware store and start with a drill:) Nothing is unfixable if you mess it up and believe me I have had my fair share of OOPS! Wood putty will be your best friend;) Thanks for stopping by!

65. Lyndee on April 13, 2011 at 3:53 am

I am so in love with this table. It makes the room so inviting and I would WANT to hang out there. Job well done!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:56 am

Thank you Lyndee:) I am so comfortable in “my spot” now! Thanks for stopping by!

66. Bridget on April 13, 2011 at 3:51 am

Wow, you did an awesome job! Love the contrast of the dark top w/ the lighter legs.. Nice work!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:54 am

Thanks so much Bridget:)

67. Michell @ Girl In Air on April 13, 2011 at 3:27 am

Love it!! This is actually what I’m gonna do to my kitchen table:)

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:32 am

Thank you Michell! You will LOVE it! Send us a pic when you finish it:)))