Coffee Table Reveal

So, I shared my DIY Coffee Table with you all a few days ago and now I’m back to share how I finished it!

I love the size, the functionality and the “old” look….. and the fact that it only cost me $40 to build!!!

I started by painting the legs with a favorite ~ Rust-Oleum Heirloom White spray paint.

Next, I stained the top of the table with two coats of Minwax Dark Walnut Stain.  I painted it on with a foam brush, let it sit for about 15 minutes, wiped it off with an old cloth and repeated after 24 hours.

After another 24 hours I painted on 1 coat of Minwax Polycrylic Gloss with a Purdy brush.

To achieve a more “worn” look, I used my 3M sanding block to distress the edges of all of the legs…

and I followed up with a bit of Minwax Dark Walnut stain on the distressed edges.  Yes, I am doing this over my carpet.  I was so anxious to get the table in the house that I forgot to distress it:)

Ahh!  I LOVE it:)  This is where I do all of my blogging:)

Room for decor, my laptop, coffee and toys of course!

And, in case you get a crazy urge to “sit on a coffee table”….

Christy, this one’s for you;)  No creaking, wobbling, swaying….  Nope, this table is built SOLID!

Thanks so much for stopping by:)

~Ashley

1. Pamela on April 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Nice job, it looks very similar to my farm house table I built and blogged. I too did the dark top and white base. Though I did a crackle coat and used 2 x 12’s for the top. It was so cold out I had to build it inside my living room. We still love it and it is just the right size for our small dining area. I have been wanting to start a coffee table, this post gives me even more incentive to get er done~

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Thank you Pamela:) Your table sounds beautiful! Enjoying a piece you hand built is so rewarding not to mention the money you save in doing so! I rarely build outside now unless it is spring or fall:) Summer is way too hot here in DFW! Good luck on your coffee table:)

2. Jennifer on April 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Love it!! It turned out so nice! I also like how you show that it is sturdy with you sitting on it!!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Thank you Jennifer! It really is sturdy! I had to get up and down off of it several times and it never even wobbled or creaked! Thanks for stopping by!

3. Elaine on April 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Wow, that looks amazing. I have to admit I was a teeny bit skeptical at the beginning, silly me. I want to tackle one for me now. Love it, love it, love it!!!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Thank you Elaine! I love that I only spent $40 on it and it took an afternoon to build! The finishing took a little longer but the end result is worth it:) Good luck on your build and thanks so much for stopping by!

4. Sarah @ The Birds Papaya on April 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

So awesome! and you, what the heck…how do you look that good sittin’ a top a coffee table? fabulous 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Haha thank you Sarah that’s so sweet! Hope you have a great Wednesday:)

5. debbie on April 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I absolutely love it.. I’d love to try and build one. I like that its sturdy built too. Love that dark walnut stain.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Thank you Debbie! Dark Walnut is my favorite stain right now because it is so rich! It really was not a hard build. It would have been super easy had I not had to make the measurement changes and build it square vs. rectangle. Go for it:) Thanks for stopping by!

6. Jessica on April 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love that. I made Ana’s coffee table with the flip up lid and that is what my feet are currently resting on. I am using it unfinished and have been for about a year but I know now how I will be finishing it. Thanks!!!
    Did you know ( I’m sure that you do) that Rustoleum sells Heirloom white by the quart? It’s only about $9 @ Menards. I buy all my paint there since it is way less than Lowes or HD.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Thank you Jessica! I had no idea you could purchase Heirloom White by the quart!!! Ahh! We don’t have a Menards in DFW though:( I’ll be on the lookout though! Thanks so much for the tip!

7. jen on April 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

love it! looks amazing! i’m curious how much it ended up costing you? thx! 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thank you Jen. I’m glad you asked because I forgot to add that to my post! It only cost me $40!!! Not even kiddding! I just went and added that to the post. Thanks again!

8. mommahen on April 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

Love the top of this coffee table! It turned out great. It’s funny that you sat on it, haha, we use our coffee table for seating all the time!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

That is too funny! Thanks so much for sharing:)))

9. Lolly on April 13, 2011 at 10:40 am

That looks fantastic! You are inspiring me to build. My husband wants a wall of book cases and I am thinking I might could do it if I can find some plans. He wants them stained and about 3 sections wide. Any ideas on where to look for plans?

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thank you Lolly! Go to Ana White’s site. She has a TON of building plans and I know she has awesome book cases;)

10. Christina @ Christina's Adventures on April 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE! And I would TOTALLY do the work in the family room too…it’s been done too many times now…whoops!

You did a gorgeous job with this!!!! 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

Thank you Christina! Sometimes it’s more comfortable to work inside;) Thanks for stopping by!

11. Jaime @ thatsmyletter on April 13, 2011 at 8:57 am

Ashley from one Ana White lover to another your table turned out beautiful. It just goes to show we can make totally functional and custom furniture without paying retail.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Thank you Jaime! Ana has saved me a TON! and I like the furniture I have built more than the furniture I have paid a fortune for:) Thanks so much for stopping by!

12. Ange on April 13, 2011 at 8:29 am

Wow, that looks fantastic and goes so well in that space! You certainly have done a wonderful job.
    Angex

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

13. Angela on April 13, 2011 at 5:25 am

Wow! That is awesome. Also, didn’t you just have a baby who resides in that beautiful nursery? Your energy (and legs!) are incredible.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

Haha thank you Angela! You are too sweet! Thanks so much for stopping by:)

14. Korrie@RedHenHome on April 13, 2011 at 4:47 am

This looks great! One of these days I’m going to BUILD something, too! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

Thank you Korrie:) Start with something small like an end table. Warning: It is addicting:) Happy building and thanks so much for stopping by!

15. kathleen schriber on April 13, 2011 at 4:45 am

very nice. i can see you love what you’re doing.

kat

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thank you Kat! I’m so happy that you can see that because I so do:)) Thanks so much for stopping by!

16. Kara on April 13, 2011 at 3:58 am

GORGEOUS!!! You are so very talented!! Sometimes I wonder what your husband must think about all your fantastic talents 🙂 You would make a bundle selling your furniture!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 4:01 am

Thank you Kara! You are so sweet! My husband is finally appreciative of my wood working but not the mess I leave behind in the garage;) Thanks for stopping by!

17. Lacie@ creative attempts on April 13, 2011 at 3:53 am

I love this. I need to get brave with some power tools 🙂

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:59 am

Thank you Lacie! Don’t be scared of them. I was at first too but the more you use them the less intimidating they become! You can get your wood cut at your hardware store and start with a drill:) Nothing is unfixable if you mess it up and believe me I have had my fair share of OOPS! Wood putty will be your best friend;) Thanks for stopping by!

18. Lyndee on April 13, 2011 at 3:53 am

I am so in love with this table. It makes the room so inviting and I would WANT to hang out there. Job well done!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:56 am

Thank you Lyndee:) I am so comfortable in “my spot” now! Thanks for stopping by!

19. Bridget on April 13, 2011 at 3:51 am

Wow, you did an awesome job! Love the contrast of the dark top w/ the lighter legs.. Nice work!

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:54 am

Thanks so much Bridget:)

20. Michell @ Girl In Air on April 13, 2011 at 3:27 am

Love it!! This is actually what I’m gonna do to my kitchen table:)

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 3:32 am

Thank you Michell! You will LOVE it! Send us a pic when you finish it:)))