Coffee Table Reveal

So, I shared my DIY Coffee Table with you all a few days ago and now I’m back to share how I finished it!

I love the size, the functionality and the “old” look….. and the fact that it only cost me $40 to build!!!

I started by painting the legs with a favorite ~ Rust-Oleum Heirloom White spray paint.

Next, I stained the top of the table with two coats of Minwax Dark Walnut Stain.  I painted it on with a foam brush, let it sit for about 15 minutes, wiped it off with an old cloth and repeated after 24 hours.

After another 24 hours I painted on 1 coat of Minwax Polycrylic Gloss with a Purdy brush.

To achieve a more “worn” look, I used my 3M sanding block to distress the edges of all of the legs…

and I followed up with a bit of Minwax Dark Walnut stain on the distressed edges.  Yes, I am doing this over my carpet.  I was so anxious to get the table in the house that I forgot to distress it:)

Ahh!  I LOVE it:)  This is where I do all of my blogging:)

Room for decor, my laptop, coffee and toys of course!

And, in case you get a crazy urge to “sit on a coffee table”….

Christy, this one’s for you;)  No creaking, wobbling, swaying….  Nope, this table is built SOLID!

Thanks so much for stopping by:)

~Ashley

1. Briana on August 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Thanks so much for this idea! My husband and I made this together! We had so much fun and it turned out so well!! I’m so happy with it! Thanks so much!

2. Amber on June 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hi Ashley,
    Just looking for the measurements/plans that you used to build the table as a square. Cant seem to find them on either post. Any chance you still have them lying around?? Heres hoping!!!

Ps: huge fan of your blog!!!!

3. Julia on May 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I love this table!! We are decorating a new home and I want to make one of these for the living room.. I can’t seem to find your plans (wood sizes, directions, etc) Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

4. Ashley on December 25, 2011 at 1:51 am

Great coffee table! My husband and I have been looking to make one ourselves but don’t know what wood to use. What do you think would be best?! Thanks so much.

5. Kim Bishop on December 6, 2011 at 4:15 am

Hi, i was wondering where you got your cute tin flower pot, i see that you have a couple of them. Love your blog, so many wonderful ideas. thanks, kim!

6. Camyrn on June 1, 2011 at 5:28 am

Which Grit sanding paper did you use on your sanding block? I love how it’s not too over distressed. I see sometimes you use your sanding block and other times 80-grit, is there is any difference between the two? =)

• Brandi on October 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Fabulous…in love with it! I do have a question though…On the can of polyurethane you used, I didn’t see “non-yellowing”. Have you seen any yellow tinitng on any of the areas you painted white? I’m asking b/c it happened to me on furniture I refinished white with a brown glaze. It ended up turning yellow and from what I found it’s b/c the polyurethane I used wasn’t “non-yellowing”.

Brandi

7. Amanda on May 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I’ve put together a round up of great table redos on Craft Gossip today and included your post. 🙂 You can see it here

I would love it if you would share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you’ve been featured, you can grab a button here!

8. The Tattered Cottage on May 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

WOW!! This is exactly the coffee table I have been looking for. Thank you for posting how you created this treasure! I love the contrast of the light and dark and the wonderful chunkiness of the table. You did a fantastic job!!
    Toni

9. Felicia on April 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm

As usual, another great project! Wish I could build!

Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters, today!

• Ashley on April 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Thanks so much Felicia! You can build! I just started about a year ago. I have no experience…. it is so addicting:)

10. Angie on April 25, 2011 at 2:00 am

Ashley,
    Love this coffee table! I would LOVE to have this in my living room…just let me know when you are tired of it. 😉

Angie

11. pclim on April 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I heart the last picture…because it’s shows the table is really WOW and so are you! LOVE LOVE LOVE from PC – Penang Malaysia, your new follower!

12. pclim on April 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Your last picture make me “WOW”! because it not only tell that the table is good…it shows the it’s WOW and so are YOU! Love from PC – Penang, Malaysia. Your new fan!

13. April on April 23, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Wow! That looks great! I really like the dark top with white legs…nice job! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

14. [email protected] OhhBaby on April 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm

i love it with the shine added! It looks so polished and wonderful!

15. Carlee on April 23, 2011 at 12:13 am

I love it, it looks like an piece of furniture you would spend a lot of money on! It looks great in your room!

16. Michelle @Thrifty 101 on April 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

I am in LOVE with this table!!! It’s beautiful! I’m so impressed you “Made it without my Hubby” (also LOVE that button! 🙂
    I would LOVE for you to link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ http://www.thrifty101.blogspot.com
    ~Michelle

• Ashley on April 22, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Awww thanks so much Michelle!!

17. Lauren on April 20, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Wow! This is beautiful 🙂 I may come to your house and steal this.

• Ashley on April 22, 2011 at 12:38 pm

LOL! Thank you Lauren:)))

18. Wendy on April 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Oh my, it looks fabulous!

• Ashley on April 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Thanks so much Wendy:))

19. Ashley @ DesignBuildLove.co on April 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

TOTALLY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go, and I LOVE that you’re bold enough to show it’s sturdiness by sitting on it! Great results and totally awesome idea to “knock-it-off” and get the size you want at a fraction of the cost! I’m new to your blog, but you’ve got a new follower!

• Ashley on April 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Thank you Ashley!!! So happy to have you:))) And yes, it saved a TON of money:)

20. Kimberly on April 19, 2011 at 3:06 am

beautiful table!

• Ashley on April 19, 2011 at 3:20 am

Thanks so much Kimberly:)))