Coffee Table Reveal

So, I shared my DIY Coffee Table with you all a few days ago and now I’m back to share how I finished it!

I love the size, the functionality and the “old” look….. and the fact that it only cost me $40 to build!!!

I started by painting the legs with a favorite ~ Rust-Oleum Heirloom White spray paint.

Next, I stained the top of the table with two coats of Minwax Dark Walnut Stain.  I painted it on with a foam brush, let it sit for about 15 minutes, wiped it off with an old cloth and repeated after 24 hours.

After another 24 hours I painted on 1 coat of Minwax Polycrylic Gloss with a Purdy brush.

To achieve a more “worn” look, I used my 3M sanding block to distress the edges of all of the legs…

and I followed up with a bit of Minwax Dark Walnut stain on the distressed edges.  Yes, I am doing this over my carpet.  I was so anxious to get the table in the house that I forgot to distress it:)

Ahh!  I LOVE it:)  This is where I do all of my blogging:)

Room for decor, my laptop, coffee and toys of course!

And, in case you get a crazy urge to “sit on a coffee table”….

Christy, this one’s for you;)  No creaking, wobbling, swaying….  Nope, this table is built SOLID!

Thanks so much for stopping by:)

~Ashley

1. I wanted to splurge! on November 9, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I’m really disappointed that I use stainable wood filler, and the stain didn’t cover it well 🙁 I can see all the spots where the filler was. I had planned on leaving the top stained, and the legs white, now I’ll have to do the opposite.
    Any hints as to what to use that would work?

2. Caryn Herb on July 26, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Hi Ashley! Was wondering if you could just share a little more detail about how you did the corners? how much did you sand them? what did you use to put the stain on? how long did you leave the stain on? 1 or 2 coats? Mine looks a little messy on the edges, doesn’t have that nice look like yours! Thanks!!!

3. Lori Orman on August 28, 2013 at 6:59 am

What is the color name on the spray paint that’s the exact color I want for my coffee table and bench I’m redoing. I want to sand and stain just like u did as well! Perfect!!

4. Sheri Keilman on May 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Hi Ashley, your table is beautiful! I have never built anything either, but just got onto Ana’s site and I’m ready to start a new hobbie! I love creating! Was wondering what the finished dimensions of your table are as I think I like the square also? I saw on one of the posts you changed the Leg joiners 39″, side aprons 34″,bread boards 45 1/2 from Ana’s plans, so are all the other cuts the same as her plans? Thanks so much!

5. Kristina on March 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I love the way your coffee table came out. I have a similar one and similar couches. I was wondering where you got the teal (what color blue?) pillows that are on the couch. They would match my living room perfect.

6. Casey on September 17, 2012 at 1:14 am

I am in the process of making this table as we speak! I am having so much fun, it’s my first ever project like this! I am wondering – how did you project the table top while spraying the legs/bottom portion of the table? If you could let me know, I would so appreciate it! THANKS!

• Shanty2Chic on September 17, 2012 at 6:08 am

I spray painted the legs and aprons before I assembled the top. If you have already assembled it I would stain the table first then spray paint. You can paint over stain but you cannot stain over paint:)
      Sent from my iPad

7. Briana on August 23, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It turned out wonderful! Thanks so much for the tutorial! We had so much fun making it. I just love it! I still have to distress the bottom a little bit more but overall, it’s done! Woo hoo!