Craigslist Goodie

Truth be told, I get way to much of a thrill off of a great Craigslist find!  Finding the perfect piece, making sure it’s still available and then bargaining is a total adrenaline rush!

This old trunk is one of my FAVORITE finds!

She used to look like this…

And she lived right here in my living room.  Her purpose:  A coffee table that my husband and boys did not appreciate.  They are men and they want function…  I am a woman and I want style!  Long story short – she lasted almost 2 years and the men now have their way:)

Two cans of Rust-Oleum Summer Squash (ahhhh my favorite yellow)….

and a good distressing with my 3M sanding block was all it took to prepare her for her new home!

Tenley’s Nursery:)

I think this will make the perfect toy box and I love how it fits in with the nursery theme!  I also love what I replaced her with in the living room but that’s another post:)

Do you have your projects ready?  We can’t wait to see what you girls have been working on without your hubby’s this month!  Link up on Thursday, April 7th!

1. Susanjfs on July 24, 2013 at 10:04 pm

My husband has an antique truck that we’re trying to find some information about. It was his grandfathers. No clues yet! Though I’d never paint his, I absolutley LOVE the yellow. What a great addition. Love the fact that it once was a coffee table. Gives me ideas on how to use ours instead of just stuck in a corner with “stuff” sitting on it. Thanks for the inspiration.

2. KBowman on July 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Oh my gosh.. I nearly have the EXACT same chest! It looks identical to the before photo.. Poor thing needs to be refinished.. Inside and out.. The inside’s “wall paper” is peeling off and half of it is nearly gone.. I’ll have to replace that.. And the bottom is rusted.. I’m STILL trying to figure out how to fix that.. I picked it up at a flea market several months ago and the sellers didn’t tell me about that lol.. Any ideas on how to fix the bottom? If so, can you please email me at [email protected] (because I’m sure I won’t see your comment unless I am somehow notified)

Thanks in advance!!!

(And I LOVE your color choice!)

3. Rachel on April 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love this trunk! I have a really similar one in my house that I have never liked the color of . . . it’s kind of an icky painted brown and I was just wondering to myself the other day what color to paint it–I love the yellow! And I’m sorry about those comments up there . . . this is my first time coming to your blog (found you on the Blue Cricket Design linkup) and I just love what I’ve seen so far! Keep it up, lady!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

4. Melinda on April 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I love how the yellow dis such a great job of freshening up the dingy trunk. Yellow always makes me smile.

• Ashley on April 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Thanks so much Melinda:) I love yellow too;)

5. Amy Krause on April 16, 2011 at 3:10 am

I love the color you painted it! I never would have thought to spraypaint a trunk!

I have one sitting in my porch (not quite so old) but old enough to need some sprucing up. I think i’ll spraypaint it and use it for storing something, like I originally purchased it for (boardgames, is what I’m thinking) …. my porch is white (beadboard) with a small sofa that has a tan/red/sage cover on it. would red be too bold? I love red,btw!

• Ashley on April 16, 2011 at 10:29 am

No! Love red and it would stand out so wonderfully against the white beadboard:) Thanks so much for stopping by Amy:)

6. Rust-Oleum Scott on April 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Ashley, what a great project! It looks amazing and the color works so well. Thanks for using Rust-Oleum. Just so you know, we love it so much, that we’ve posted it up on our Rust-Oleum Facebook page (www.facebook.com/rustoleum). Keep up the great work!

• Ashley on April 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much Scott:))

7. Kim @ Too Much Time on April 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I need that yellow paint immediately! It is beautiful. That trunk is an awesome toy box and I love that the paint makes it more kid like, while still being a grown up piece of furniture. LOVE LOVE LOVE

• Ashley on April 13, 2011 at 2:34 am

Thanks so much Kim:)) It is my favorite color right now!!!

8. Angela on April 12, 2011 at 3:26 am

I am in love.

That is wonderful! It really pulls the room together. Nice work, Ashley! Thanks for sharing.

• Ashley on April 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm

9. Jane F @ Atticmag on April 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm

That’s an heirloom trunk and a treasure in any color. What a super, super find. Here’s what I want to know (I have an “inquiring mind”). What’s replaced the trunk? Hope you’ll stop by and tell me where you think our birdhouse should go. Jane F.

• Ashley on April 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Thank you Jane!! I will for sure:)

10. Handy Man, Crafty Woman on April 11, 2011 at 4:42 am

That looks great! I love finding great things on Craigslist.

• Ashley on April 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Thanks so much! Craigslist is AWESOME:)

11. Jeanine One Cheap B*tch on April 11, 2011 at 1:33 am

I just love old trunks! We cheated and have a Restoration Hardware one in our living room. My hubby loves it, the boys love it but I still look at other trunks longingly! This came out beautifully!

Jeanine

• Ashley on April 11, 2011 at 2:22 am

Thank you Jeanine! Love Restoration Hardware:)))