DIY Outdoor Chaise Lounge

Hello summer!  I’m sure most of you are also experiencing the heat wave in your area!  It’s down right hot in the Lone Star State:) I couldn’t get this project started fast enough!

Ahhh!!!  Swoon!  Love this set of chaise lounges from Pottery Barn….but I don’t love the $600 price tag (and yes that is the “marked-down” price;)  I’m sure they are worth every penny but my wallet will never know!

Nope, I saved some dough and built my own for $25 thanks to the free plans I got from Ana’s site!

Trip to Home Depot for supplies (no kids;)  Thank you hubby!

I used my battery-powered drill and nailer to assemble the chairs…. oh and Gorilla Glue Wood Glue of course;)  Here are some pictures of the steps I took as I went…

I used the base of the chaise to assemble the back by aligning each board on top of the other to ensure a good match when the back was attached.

Use narrow utility hinges to attach the back to the base.  The regular width is too wide…I learned this the hard way…

This is the prop for the back rest:)

Again, narrow hinges to attach the prop to the back.

This is my FAVORITE part!  All of these scraps are used to make…

stoppers for the prop on the back rest!!!  You just pick the angles that you want the back rest to sit at and attach them!

I finished with Elmer’s Wood Filler and a good sanding using my battery-powered sander and that was it!

Yah, I had to make two:)  I might make a third….

I can’t share all of them with you just yet….because they aren’t finished but, I will be back very soon to show you the finished chaise lounges!

These were very simple to build.  The only annoying step was the hinges but after I got past the first set I was okay:)

Time invested:  1.5 hours to measure and cut lumber for 2 chairs, 1.5 hours to build each chair.

Money invested:  $50 for lumber!

I’m a happy girl:)  I’ll be a happier girl when I can actually enjoy them!!!  Hope you all have a great FRIDAY!  Whoop!

~Ashley

1. Michele on February 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I love this project! I am truing to come up with a low cost seating idea for my covered porch and I think this is it! Do you have a cut list by any chance? Also I am a novice at wood cutting and such but a very handy person overall, do you think I could pull this off?

2. Jessica on February 11, 2013 at 12:16 am

This is great. This is a good handmade chaise lounge cushions. Craftmanship!

3. tiffany of camp1899.com on September 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

this is an amazing diy! i’m lucky and my husband is SO handy, he’s dirt to sky been renovating our tiny bungalow, this should be so easy for him thanks to your great step by step!! thanks for sharing!

4. Michelle on March 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hi there,
    Do you have a cut list by any chance?

5. Melissa Delight on March 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hey there! I made my own version of this project. Check it out! http://zigzagsandblossoming.blogspot.com/2012/03/multi-way-patio-lounger.html

Thanks for the inspiration!!

6. Wow, that is a great job. The step by step instructions and photos are fantastic. I might even be tempted to give this a go myself.

7. This is a project. I love the detailed step by step instructions. You have done a really great job.

8. William Carr of Mass Painters on January 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Great photos, very easy to follow and most important: CHEAP! $25 in materials aint bad!

9. Alicia Washington on November 22, 2011 at 2:39 am

Looking forward to sharing this with my husband! I believe we could actually accomplish this ourselves. I would feel proud to showcase our own furnishings. Thank you so much!

10. Sheila on August 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Excellent! I’m inspired.

11. Laura on August 11, 2011 at 6:23 pm

This is such a great idea! I was recently pricing lounge chairs for our new pool and i cannot believe how EXPENSIVE they are, I never thought of making one out of wood!

12. Anne Dapore on August 9, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I love these thanks for posting. Here is a link to a DIY Lounge Pillow you can make from Martha! These would be cute with your lounger!

• Ashley on August 9, 2011 at 9:22 pm

This is awesome Anne! Thank you so much:))))

13. Michael at Blue Velvet Chair on July 13, 2011 at 12:03 am

LOVE this project! Very clever.
    Michael

14. luxury home on July 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Done good job showing how to make – Thanks for showing step – step

15. Crystal (theweekendhomemaker.com) on June 24, 2011 at 11:06 am

These are awesome and look like they were easy to build. Thanks for the cost and time breakdown. You’ve inspired me to build something!

16. Jamie on June 16, 2011 at 3:38 am

These are great! Stumbled Upon your blog!
    jamie

• Ashley on June 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm

17. John on June 16, 2011 at 2:47 am

Lounge looks really nice, however the legs are waaaay too flimsy. They will only last if you never move it. First time someone drags it over a brick patio, the legs will come loose and eventually crack. Easy fix though. All you need to do is to make each leg from two pieces, in an L shape. They will be 10 times stronger. Round the bottom of the legs so the corners are not sharp and don’t catch on stuff so easily. Even better, buy a couple of wheels and a piece of threaded rod at your home store and you can then pick one end up and roll it around the patio. Trust me, you will move it more than you think, like every time the angle of the sun changes.

• Ashley on June 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Thanks for the tip John:) If the legs to start to deteriorate I will fix them this way. I do intend to add the wheels because I love the look:) Thanks for stopping by!

• Kim on September 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I thought the legs looked fragile as well. I’m not a “wee” lass. 🙂 I noticed the pottery barn chaise has square legs on the front that look to be affixed up inside the apron of the chaise on both the side and the front of the apron…thereby creating more structure. This is an awesome idea. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

• Shanty2Chic on September 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

We have made it through 2 summers with these chairs:). Kids standing on them, adults lounging and they have been dragged everywhere! They are still standing strong! Never a bad idea to reinforce but I do stand behind these plans!

18. CrafterBerly on June 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Ooh ooh ooh! I SO want to do this!

19. Brittany on June 14, 2011 at 3:43 am

I think I can, I think I can attempt at trying to make this. The price is much better then PB’s! Thank you for sharing!

Found you from Tip Junkie link party!

20. Emily Christensen on June 14, 2011 at 2:34 am

Wow! I love these! They look so easy to make too. It nice to see another girl who knows how to use power tools 🙂
    I found you on Tip Junkie.
    Emily

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 2:47 am

Thank you Emily:)) LOVE power tools;)