Dining Table Redone!

Hey guys!

I wanted to show you guys the next step in my dining room overhaul.  I spent the last few days revamping the dining room furniture.  Here is how I did my table…

You guys remember the before??

The top of the table was stained wood but it had a red cast to it that I was a bit “over”.  And, I was ready to brighten her legs up too!

I did lightly sand the top of the table.  There are a few scratches on it and I thought better safe than sorry!

I used a 120 grit sandpaper to lightly go over the top.  I sanded just a bit harder over my scratches.

During this process I also found some lovelies that my sweet kids left for me….

I found this primer back when I was repainting my laundry room cabinets and fell in LOVE.   It has never let me down and seems to stick to just about anything.  I only used one coat on the top of the table.  I decided to not put any on the legs because they were already painted.

Primed and ready…

I applied both my primer and paint using the same roller.  I swear by these things, and I promise once you use them you will not go back.  They are Whizz Roller Systems.

I get mine at Lowe’s and they come with a small 4″ roller.  Love them.

The paint color I went with is a Dutch Boy color called Clam Island.  I didn’t love the name of the color but it matched my spray paint perfect 😉   I will get to that in my next post!  I put on 2 coats of paint to both the table top and legs.  I did have to use a brush on the legs.

Now I was ready to distress.  I went back and forth over this.  I wasn’t sure I wanted it distressed but finally decided to lightly go for it.  I figured that with 5 kids running around the table may get scratched a time or two.  The distressing will just make it all blend, right??

I used a 120 grit sanding block to lightly sand the edges and the details on the legs.

Finally I put two coats of Polycrylic on the top.  I love the durability of this stuff!  I use it on all my painted furniture.  I like that it is water based so it doesn’t stink too bad and you can work inside.  I also like that it doesn’t yellow like polyurethane.

That was it!  I was done… With the table.  The chairs were a different story, and I will share that later.  For now… Here are the results.  I still have stuff to add to the walls and a few other things.  It’s getting there though!

Thanks for stopping by guys!  Let me know if you have any questions!

Here are a few of my other dining room revamp posts!

Painting my Walls Gray!

DIY Window Panels

1. monica on July 8, 2018 at 4:32 pm

How did you get the distressed look to be black? I have a cherry color and am painting it white but don’t want the red cherry to come out when I sand.

2. Lorraine Harper on October 8, 2015 at 8:30 pm

I just primed my table top with tinted black primer and have painted two coats of polycrylic using a good foam brush but have some streaks. If I put a coat of minwax paste wax over the poly will it help blend in some of the streaks???

3. Diana Castaneda on October 12, 2013 at 7:22 am

Hey Lovelys….
    I Love what you did to your table. I’ve been looking for a paint to match the Heirloom White spray paint. Where did you get the paint, I can’t seem to find it, unless it was discontinued 🙁

4. Sue on April 24, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’m interested in how the table has held up. I did some chairs with just sanding, primer, paint and polyurethane. Looking back, I wish I had totally stripped them because the paint still did not adhere well and the paint is chipping. Is your table holding up or chipping?

5. Ann Jacuzzo-Abbott on February 21, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I want to do this with my black table and chairs. But keep it black. I think it would look cool. Thanks for the tips.

6. mandy flores on September 25, 2012 at 10:45 am

hi there! my fiancee and i just purchased a huge wood dining table with chairs from craigslist. as soon as i saw it i pictured how i wanted it to be totally redone. we debated whether or not to even start because the table was in great condition and we are still newbies at this. anway, after working on sanding it this weekend, we got stuck! then, i came accross your post and instantly yelled ‘that’s it! your dining table is exactly how i pictured mine! so thank you for this post, we will most definitely be using your tips….

7. Sandi Carter on February 16, 2012 at 10:47 am

Did you use the “Polycrylic” only on the top? and not the chairs?

8. Anne-Marie on January 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm

When I saw the photo of your “before” table, I thought it was beautiful .. and then your transformation was incredible. How brave you were to paint this table. What a marvellous job… the end result is fantastic. I have an old wood/glass top coffee table and will plan to “transform” this during the warmer months. thanks for sharing!!

9. ashley rutkoski on September 23, 2011 at 2:02 pm

wow this is amazing! very nicely done!!!!!

10. Julie on September 19, 2011 at 9:30 am

I love it! The end result looks so gorgeous! It fits in perfectly with the design of your dining room.

I bought a dining table at a garage sale and I just primed and painted it. I’m kind of unsure what to do next and I actually came across this post while doing research. Does the polycrylic give it a glossy finish? That’s what I searching for in a top coat. And did you sand before/after applying the polycrylic? Ahh, sorry for all the questions!

11. Jill on September 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm

It looks AMAZING!!! I love it!!!!! I have been in the process of redoing my dining table & chairs too and the chairs have turned into a nightmare! Can’t wait to see how it went with yours (hoping your experience is better then mine!) 🙂 I am running out to by the primer you suggested and keeping my fingers crossed that it works for me! Thanks for sharing all your creative-ness with us! 😉

• Shanty2Chic on September 15, 2011 at 1:30 am

Hey Jill! Thanks so much for your sweet comments! I would love to see your stuff when you get it done! 🙂

12. Beth @ NashvillePug on September 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Beautiful! The table was pretty before, but now it’s gorgeous! I’m thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets and may have to try out that primer. Thanks for the tip! Love your window panels too! Great colors!

13. Leanne Marquis on September 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I can’t remember if I already posted that I love your new improved dining room. I just looked at it again and yep… I still love it. So I figured I would say so just in case I forgot to the first time. Looks great! 🙂

14. Abbey on September 10, 2011 at 2:00 am

I love this!! I used the same fabric for a headboard that you used for your chairs. Love that fabric!!

• sandra on April 3, 2012 at 8:34 am

What fabric did you use, would love to know. Thanks

15. Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D on September 7, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Our table needs a redo, too.
    It’s a banged up second-hand country pine type on top with white on the bottom.
    I’m looking forward to black on the bottom and now I’m not so sure about the top.
    I like your white banged-up look a lot.