Dining Room Window Panels

Hey guys!

I wanted to share my window panels I just made for the dining room.  If my directions seem a bit wonky just go with it… They probably are.  I have made several drapery panels and I made these using my favorite method.

I found my fabric at Joann’s.  It’s a Waverly print called Bedazzle.  I loved it even though it cost a pretty penny.  I figured they would be hanging for a while so I splurged.

First… Cut both your drapery fabric and your liner 3.5″ longer than the length you want it.  I also cut my liner so that my drapery fabric was 2″ wider than the liner.

Next, I like to do my bottom hems.  I use my serger to finish all the edges but you can also just make a normal hem.  Fold your hem on each piece up 3″ and iron to keep it in place.

I did the same for my drapery fabric and put a straight stitch on all 4 pieces.

Now you should have 4 separate pieces of fabric… 2 drapery pieces and 2 liner pieces.  Join 1 drapery piece and 1 liner together good sides facing each other.  Make sure your hems are on the same end.  Now run a straight stitch down each side.  You should have a big “pillowcase” with two open ends.

Finally, you will run a straight stitch along the top of both pieces.  This will be the opposite end of your hems you did earlier.  Once you have finished that you are ready to flip it right side out.

Final step… Yeah!  Iron your edges down for a clean look.  Because you made your drapery fabric slightly wider than your liner, your edges should look a bit like this from the back.

Now just clip it up and you are set!  I finished mine in a couple hours.  If you have a sewing machine and can do a straight stitch, you can make these!

Here they are all finished!

Don’t you LOVE the fabric???

Hope you like them!

Did I mention that writing a sewing tutorial is a whip?  So hard to put basic steps into words!  Hopefully you got the basic idea though 😉

Finally….  Many of you saw this on our Facebook last night.

My sweet friend Sarah of Holden Uganda is a Mominee.  She truly is a mommy changing the World through her amazing story.  I would be so happy if you would check out the link.  Her story is incredible and I would love for you to give her your vote.  It’s well worth the click and the read.

Click HERE to read Sarah’s story and VOTE people! 🙂

Thanks so much guys!

1. Misty McKitrick Wells on January 3, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Where’d you get the curtain clips? So going to do this for our nursery!! Thanks for the inspiration.

2. Crystal on September 25, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I found a pattern just like this but as an oblong table cloth from Target PERFECT length just have to attach the curtain clips! Got them on clearance for $10!

3. Natalie R. on May 31, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Oh booooooooo. This was forever a go and you have to sew!!!!!! Awesome job girl!

4. Jenny Leiser on February 17, 2014 at 9:31 am

How long is that curtain rod and what do you have to do/look for in a curtain rod to make sure a longer one does not droop over time?

5. Ashley Robinett Hoyt on November 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I love the color of your dining room with the white trim and brown floors. …the curtains looks awesome too! What is your wall color???

6. Brittany Sue Pape on March 29, 2013 at 12:29 pm

How do I make that little fancy thing underneath your window?!

7. Valerie Halles on December 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

may i ask how much fabric you bought for both

8. Liz on August 20, 2012 at 8:06 am

These are so beautiful! Think they would look lovely in my bedroom 🙂 would you mind helping me work out how how much fabric to use? My windows are 3meters tall by 1.5 meters wide. Any tips would be great!

9. jennifer kindle on May 13, 2012 at 1:05 am

okay! love the drapes. I’m going to borrow your tutorial…THANK YOU! Also, is your concrete in the pic painted or stained? AND…did you paint/stain it when it was built or did you rip the carpet up and do it? We are thinking about doing it…just wondering because it looks GREAT!! Jennifer

10. Kat Wadsworth on April 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hey! Could you explain how you stitch the top of the curtain a little further for me? I’m not fully understanding how that happens. Thanks!

11. Malynda on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I am obsessed with these curtains! Is there anyway you could share the measurements of the fabric that you purchased, so I can attempt to recreate? Thanks so much!

12. jenny b on March 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

love the curtains! and as my daughter’s name is Waverly is seems just right 🙂 please do tell what color wall paint you’re using. so pretty.