DIY Photo Canvas

Hey there!  So, I have seen so many cool DIY photo canvas projects on Pinterest and I had to do one of my own!  My son is playing his first season of tackle football and I have taken a ton of pictures!  I thought he would love to show them off in his room so I came up with this!

It was so quick, easy and cheap!  I used scrap wood and only paid for the 8×10 prints!

I started with 2 pieces of scrap MDF that I cut down to 8 1/2 x 10 1/2.

I used a TON of wood glue to attach the 2 pieces together.

Next, I broke out the black acrylic paint and covered all four sides and a little onto the outside edges.

I printed out an 8×10 black and white, through walmart.com, and attached it with a spray adhesive.

For the finishing touches, I used a stencil brush to dry brush the black acrylic onto the actual picture (all around the edges) and followed up with Modpodge, using the same dry brush technique for a textured, canvas-like, finish!

That was it!

I had to make several for him and he thinks they are pretty cool:)  I want to do more around the house!  I made 5 for about $10, after buying the saw tooth hangers and pictures.  I did use anchors when hanging these but they are not super heavy!  Thanks so much for stopping by!

There are only a few more days left to enter our Lisa Leonard Giveaway!  You can click HERE to enter!

Thanks for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Lori on October 28, 2011 at 2:56 am

I am a brand new follower (I just discovered your site and I LOVE it!). I loved this project and wanted to let you know that I blogged about you both and your great website today on my blog http://www.craftingharmony.com. I hope you’ll come check it out! ~Lori

2. Lolly Jane on October 24, 2011 at 6:18 am

Such great decor for a boys room! Love how masculine it is yet how meaningful! Awesome job, gals!
    XO

3. Jinny on October 21, 2011 at 5:19 am

I love this idea…you are a genius! I was wondering what you would think they would look like as a sepia tone instead of black. I want to do something like this for my mom but she doesn’t use black in really anything. If I did sepia pictures what color do you think I should use for the wood and border? You are the expert so I would LOVE your thoughts! Thanks so much!

4. Ashley@DesignBuildLove.co on October 20, 2011 at 3:41 am

these are absolutely awesome! I’m dying to do this over our bed in our master bedroom! 🙂

5. Carla on October 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm

AWESOME! I’m so happy you posted this today! my son just finished soccer and I was trying to think of a nice, elegant & fun way to display some of his photos. Love the look & will be doing this project for him!! THANK YOU!!!!

6. nicole on October 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

ADORABLE!!! I am going to do some of these for my son’s room he is obsessed with baseball and I have some great shots! thanks for another grea project

7. Liz on October 19, 2011 at 5:12 am

What a great picture project! LOVE IT! What kind of Modpodge did you use? Did you brush it all over the entire picture? Sorry, I have never used Modpodge before, so kind of unsure of what it does.

• Stephanie on October 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Liz,
      Yes you apply the modpodge all over the picture. Dont be larmed when you first use it. It is alarming you think your ruining your picture but than it will soone become your new best friend! 🙂

8. Bethany on October 19, 2011 at 12:11 am

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

9. Anna of Anna & Co. on October 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Love it! This very well may be my next project. Thank you for sharing!!!

10. gina on October 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Really cute and frugal idea. (:

11. Denise on October 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Great project!! Can’t wait to do it with Landon’s baseball pictures!!!!

12. Jeanne on October 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm

How did you hang them? I have to know all the details as I am sorta kinda dense if you know what I mean.

13. Sonia Rumzi on October 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Ashley, these are wonderful. How lovely!

14. Johnnie on October 18, 2011 at 7:30 pm

This looks great! I bet your son is loving it. Pinning and stumbling.

15. Jodi on October 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Oh, I love this! I need to find a spot in my house for some of these!
    PS – Don’t waste your money on saw tooth hangers for small lighter projects like these. Hot glue + tab from soda can = instant picture hanger. I’ve been using them for years and have never had anything fall.

• Carla on October 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Genious!

16. Shasta Farrar on October 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Great idea! Hmmm…could make good Christmas presents.

17. Amy {The Idea Room} on October 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love this idea! I am totally doing this for my son’s room and his sports pictures! Great idea Ashley!

18. Kim Worley on October 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm

LOVE THESE!! I will be doing this project this weekend!!! I have a wall that needs pics!!! Im excited!! You and Whitney are beyond blessed with creativity!! Hope youre doing well!! Love yall!

19. Nancy on October 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Those turned out great!! I see so many possibilities…!

20. Mel on October 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Really love this idea. Your site is the best and I am never disappointed when I visit your site. Thank you for sharing all you ideas.