Pottery Barn Inspired Photo and Gretting Card Carousel

Hi friends!  There really is nothing better than a great knock-off, especially when it involves a photo display!  I fell in love with this Pottery Barn Old Fashioned Photo Carousel that my mom purchased!

Of course my mind started creating a knock-off because the thought of purchasing it is not an option;)

This is my versions for under $10!

and here is how I built it in 30 minutes!

I started with an 8′ 2×8 that I cut into two pieces.  One at 28″ and the other at 7 1/4″.  I also cut a scrap piece at 9″x9″.

I purchased this Lazy Susan hardware at Home Depot for under $5.  I found it on the lock isle FYI?

I didn’t use screws to install it.  I just attached it between the two bases with Gorilla Glue Epoxy.  I then used the Gorilla Glue Epoxy to attach the long 28″ piece directly in the center of the smaller base.

While I waited for the epoxy to dry, I hot glued 3 mini clothes pins (purchased at Hob Lob with a coupon for $1.50) to each side in the places I wanted to display photos, greeting cards and memos.

For the final building step, I predrilled a hole on top of the 28″ piece and then screwed one finial into it.  I purchased the finials at Lowe’s two for $3.

To finish it off, I spray painted it with my favorite cream color, distressed the edges with my 3M sanding block and followed up with a little Minwax Dark Walnut stain.

I added a few recent black and white pics and it was ready to show off!

I love that it swivels to show off both sides:)

I had plenty of board and supplies left over to make another one so I decided to make one as a gift for my friend’s daughter!  She turns 14 today so I had to put a teenage girl spin on it;)

I spray painted this one black, mod podged a little scrap-book paper on the small base and distressed it all over as well.  To glam it up a bit I hot glued a rhinestone on each clothes pin!  Those are my pics on display right now;) but I can’t wait for her to show off her own pics!

I love mine so much that I am going to be making these as gifts for the upcoming Holiday season!  I’m thinking this would make a great Christmas Card display or even a memo holder as well!  (Teacher’s gifts anyone???!!!) For about $10 I was able to make one for myself and one as a gift and I still have supplies left over!  Cha-Ching:)

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. lisa on October 23, 2011 at 3:30 am

This is awesome!! I found you via ana-white! I recently received a bag of smalls clothespins from a Pick Your Plum mystery box and was trying to think of what to do with all of them…you solved my problem!! I could totally do some for Christmas gifts too!!

2. Courtney on October 21, 2011 at 1:24 am

This is totally awesome! I just love it! I would love if you would come link this up at the Thursday Crazy Cute link party today!

3. Straderade on October 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Really like these! I think my wife and I might try making some of these and giving them as Christmas gifts.

I do have a question though – can you explain in greater detail how you managed to get the distressed edges? I know you said you used a 3M sanding block and Minwax Dark Walnut stain but if you could explain your technique a little more that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, maybe I missed it in the post, but did you cut the very bottom piece of wood from the 2×8 or elsewhere? It looks a bit thinner than the 2×8 piece you have on top of it.

Thanks!!!

4. Ruth on October 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I love this idea!! It would make a great Christmas presents.
    Thanks for sharing it.
    I am having a giveaway on my blog, hope you can stop by.

Ruth

5. Allison on October 15, 2011 at 3:01 am

totally love this idea! Never would have tried to create a knock off of something like this! I like your version so much better than the inspiration idea! would love it if you’d link up to WWWW and share this!!

6. Melanie on October 15, 2011 at 2:59 am

I love this idea! I’m featuring it on the blog tonight!

Smiles,
    Melanie

Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

{skipthehousework@hotmail.com}

7. Cora Roberts on October 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I love your blog! I really like the curtains in the background of the picture. Where did you purchase at?

8. Cassie on October 9, 2011 at 2:33 am

OMG… I have been a follower for a while now… I am in love with this idea… along with many others on the website…. I can’t wait to do this for my home and diplay it….

9. Christie on October 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I LOVE this! You are right, these are perfect for gifts!!!

10. Jennie on October 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love your blog! You have inspired me to become more crafty. I am hoping for a miter saw for Christmas this year so I can start making some of your creative projects! Thanks for all the ideas!

11. MJ @ 517 Creations on October 8, 2011 at 1:08 am

This is SO being crafted in our home this weekend….fabulous!

12. Amy C on October 8, 2011 at 12:22 am

I ab.sol.utely LOVE this!!! I like yours better than the PB one! This looks SO easy and cute. What a fun gift it could be for a grandparent too. Thank you for sharing, I’m totally pinning this! 🙂 Visiting from TT&J.
    Amy @ The Happy Scraps

13. Sue on October 8, 2011 at 12:19 am

This is awesome! I am going to do a Shanty2Chic knock off. I am pinning this one to my wood pin board for quick reference when I get time to make it. Thanks for sharing.

14. Angela @ Our Family Journey on October 8, 2011 at 12:10 am

I have had my eye on the Potterybarn photo carousel. Thanks for the idea and tutorial. Saw you on TT&J.

Angela

15. Debi Sizemore on October 7, 2011 at 2:40 am

I love this and gotta try to make a few!

16. Missy on October 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm

You have done it once again…you sisters rock! LOVE IT…pinned it on my ever growing list of “Things to Make”…How’s Whitney?

17. Lesley on October 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm

that is AWESOME! I love it. I know what my next project is going to be!

18. brittany on October 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

so cute! i love it.

19. Amber on October 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

These would make awesome gifts!!
    Thanks for the ideas!