Reclaimed Wood Wall Art

Hey there!  I am soooo excited to be the proud owner of the new Silhouette Cameo!  This thing is AWESOME ~ check out the first project I made with it!

See that wall art hanging over my couch?  That’s it:)  Here’s how I made it for $25 with my new Cameo!

I alternated 1×6’s with 1×4’s (mine were cut down to 40″).

To hold them in place, I wood-glued and nailed 3 1×3’s to the backside of the boards.  I followed up with one coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain.

Now for the Cameo to do its magic (oooooo…ahhhhhhh)!!

The Cameo will cut through fabric, vinyl, cardstock, paper and more, up to 12 inches and 10 feet!  That’s right 10 FEET:)   I chose contact paper for this project because I just wanted a stencil.  I then chose a script font from my computer and began cutting:)

I dry brushed over the stencil with a cream-colored acrylic paint and my job was done!

Well…. after attaching this heavy-duty picture hanging kit on the back.  This isn’t super heavy but better safe than sorry;)  Now, mission complete!

This might be my favorite piece I have made for my house:)))  Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Ang Southgate on February 4, 2014 at 7:17 am

Ashley, what type of wood did you use?

• Shanty2Chic on February 4, 2014 at 7:31 am

Furring strips!

• Ang Southgate on February 4, 2014 at 7:34 am

for the whole project?

• Shanty2Chic on February 4, 2014 at 7:36 am

The smaller pieces are furring strips the 1×6 are white wood.

• Ang Southgate on February 4, 2014 at 7:41 am

thanks!

2. Ashley on October 31, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Beautiful! What kind of wood did you use? Oak?

3. Stacie Ballard on August 4, 2013 at 2:36 pm

what font did you use for the word?

4. vtousignant on April 1, 2013 at 6:26 am

But you’re missing the point. “Reclaimed Wood” means something. Words have meaning. It looks cool but it isn’t what you’ve titled it to be at all. It makes it seem like you titled it that way just so you would show up on a search better. Is that really honest? I’m sure I will have a great day. I usually do.

• Shanty2Chic on April 1, 2013 at 6:37 am

It can be made from reclaimed wood. That’s the point. I had the idea and didn’t have reclaimed wood. A lot of people do and many don’t. It’s an idea! If I wanted it to show up higher in searches I would have named it something different! Again, have a great day:)

• vtousignant on April 1, 2013 at 6:49 am

Great. But I guess I just disagree. If it’s going to be called reclaimed wood then i would strive to get some. It’s widely available now, which is nice. You have a sharp looking blog though. I’m sure you are proud of it, as you should be. (Perhaps the insistence on having a nice day is bit overdone though. It seems kind of passive agressive.)

• Shanty2Chic on April 1, 2013 at 6:51 am

I don’t appreciate my integrity being questioned. To ask if I’m being honest is an insult. This project was done several years ago, before I knew a thing about search engine and titles. Have a productive day:)

• vtousignant on April 1, 2013 at 7:09 am

Here, respond to my email if you choose. I don’t want to sully up your blog anymore. victortousignant at gmail dot com But, there are some real issues here for those of us who work in reclaimed wood and I think you should be aware of them.

5. vtousignant on April 1, 2013 at 5:54 am

This isn’t reclaimed wood at all. You can’t go to home depot and stain some boards and think that you have somehow helped the environment by using reclaimed wood. Fail.

• Shanty2Chic on April 1, 2013 at 5:58 am

Hey Victor! It’s just the title of the piece. If you are that concerned about it build one out of reclaimed wood. BTW…I never mentioned anywhere that I thought I was helping the environment. You have a great day:)

6. Lori on March 18, 2013 at 2:54 pm

This is one of the first projects I found on Pinterest and immediately wanted to recreate! After a year or so of procrastinating, we finally finished it up and blogged about it, linking back to you. Thank you so much for sharing such an awesome project!

7. melinda on February 4, 2013 at 10:31 am

What font did you use for the love, what size is it? Thank you! it’s perfect!!

8. Denise on January 1, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Awesome!!! Your plans will keep me soooo busy this year!!! 😀

9. SAM on July 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I love your idea! I have a quick question. I am in love with your wire basket and flowers on your coffee table. Can you shed some light on where you got the basket and what kind of flowers those are? Thanks!

10. Nina Marie♥ on July 6, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’VE been salutary praying to God with my whole heart and sole for one of these! I’VE been making my sign’s out of pallets but dealing with stencils and tracing then painting just takes the whole fun out of creating these beauties!! I know III t would be so much easier to use this machine! Great job and I love love you’re blog! Maybe soon I will be blessed with one! 🙂

11. Amy on June 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Love this. I have a cricut, what size font did you use???

12. Josh Beaton on June 3, 2012 at 8:54 am

What font did you use for the text on this project? If you don’t mind me asking.

13. julie on May 31, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Love this! Looks awesome….

14. Josh Beaton on May 29, 2012 at 6:00 pm

What is the name of the font you used for this project? If you don’t mind me asking.

15. Sherry on May 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

Hey! I just “revealed” my master bedroom where I copied your idea for above our bed! Thanks so much for sharing! I love how it turned out.

16. talia douglas on April 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi! Thanks for sharing this idea 🙂 I have made my own Love sign out of wood. I have featured you in my blog.

17. Jenni on April 14, 2012 at 11:45 pm

LOVE it!! I also love the color of your walls. What color/brand is it??

18. Carly on April 6, 2012 at 9:42 am

Just curious…do you use the cutting mat with your contact paper? I have been but it’s kind of a PIA. Just wondering! Thanks!

19. Ten51 Design on January 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Hi S2C! This is definitely a project I’m completing this year for our living room. I just love it. And it’s such an inexpensive way to get something large on the wall. We have vaulted ceilings and I’m really having trouble coming up with ideas for all the wall space. I’m not sure what word I’d like on my version yet… any other ideas besides Love? I’ll send a link as soon as it’s complete. I shared your great idea on our blog (hope you don’t mind)… We’re new to the blog world. Thanks so much for posting! – Friends at http://Ten51Design.blogspot.com/

20. Julie on January 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

This is beautiful! I plan on creating one to hang in my living room. Such a great idea! Thank you for sharing.
    PS. Absolutely love your blog.