Reclaimed Wood Wall Art

Hey there!  I am soooo excited to be the proud owner of the new Silhouette Cameo!  This thing is AWESOME ~ check out the first project I made with it!

See that wall art hanging over my couch?  That’s it:)  Here’s how I made it for $25 with my new Cameo!

I alternated 1×6’s with 1×4’s (mine were cut down to 40″).

To hold them in place, I wood-glued and nailed 3 1×3’s to the backside of the boards.  I followed up with one coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain.

Now for the Cameo to do its magic (oooooo…ahhhhhhh)!!

The Cameo will cut through fabric, vinyl, cardstock, paper and more, up to 12 inches and 10 feet!  That’s right 10 FEET:)   I chose contact paper for this project because I just wanted a stencil.  I then chose a script font from my computer and began cutting:)

I dry brushed over the stencil with a cream-colored acrylic paint and my job was done!

Well…. after attaching this heavy-duty picture hanging kit on the back.  This isn’t super heavy but better safe than sorry;)  Now, mission complete!

This might be my favorite piece I have made for my house:)))  Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Summer Wallaert on May 20, 2015 at 3:12 pm

This is gorgeous! Nice work, I might have to copy you! 😉

2. Shanty2Chic on August 11, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Yes, this couch was from Ashley Furniture! I bought it in 2009 but I think they still sell it.

3. Laura M on August 11, 2014 at 11:54 am

I love this!! And your entire living room – absolutely gorgeous! One question for you…would you be able to share what paint color you used on your hutch? It is so pretty! <3

• Shanty2Chic on August 11, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Hi Laura,
      I think I just emailed you about this. I don’t remember what the color was. I’m so sorry!

• Laura M on August 11, 2014 at 11:14 pm

No worries! Thanks for replying 😉 And thank you for all of the amazing inspiration! You ladies rock!

4. Alex on August 1, 2014 at 11:28 am

What kind of wood did you use, and how did you get that dark brown finish on the sign? the texture looks amazing. I am having trouble finding that type of finish.

• Shanty2Chic on August 11, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Hi Alex,
      I just used furring strips and pine. I don’t remember what color stain I used but one of our favorites is Dark Walnut by Rust-oleum. All of their stains are very rich!