Hook Shelf for the Entry!

Hey friends!!

This next project has been in the works for a looooong time.  I’m so happy to finally have it done!

I found a great picture of an entry on google a few months back and pinned it.  I have been eyeballing it ever since.   I have always wanted a mantle in my house, but don’t have room on the fireplace.  This isn’t quite a mantle, but it kind of feels like one to me!  It took me an afternoon to finish!

I started with 1 2×6 cut at 5.5 ft and 1 2×8 cut at 5 ft.

I attached the 2×6 to the top of the 2×8 using wood glue and 2″ drywall screws.  I put the screws in through the top of the 2×6.  This is what it looked like…

My next step was to add just a bit of molding to chic it up a bit.  I didn’t want to mess with cutting crown, so I decided to use a casing instead.  Casing is flat on the back and is much easier to cut and attach in my opinion.  I just cut the corners at a 45 degree angle and I was set.  I attached the casing using wood glue and finishing nails.

That’s it for the building!  Super easy, huh???  I caulked my edges and nail holes.  After it dried I sanded the whole thing using 120 grit sand paper.

My next step was to paint her!

I used my very favorite….

Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Heirloom White

You can get it at Home Depot and Hobby Lobby!

I sprayed 2 coats on and let it dry.

I found my hooks at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 a piece.  I bought 7 because I am planning on hanging our stockings on this.  I used 1″ drywall screws to attach them to the 2×8.

That was it!  I had my stepdad help me hang it up because it was super heavy.  I marked my studs on the wall using a stud finder.  We used 3″ long screws to drill through the 2×8 and into the studs in the wall.  We put 4 in and it is super sturdy!   I filled the holes with wood filler and put a little touch up paint on them to cover it up.  Good as new! And, I didn’t have to worry about finding the right hardware.

Want to see it all finished???

Ok!

What do you think??

I am finally able to display LOTS of my kiddos pics which I LOVE!

Hope you like it!

It was SO easy!  And, it was under $40.  More than half of that was the hooks!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  We have some super fun things coming up that we are excited to share with you so stick around!

1. http://Sunskyjet.com on December 29, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my
    blog thus i got here to ?return the desire?.I am attempting
    to find issues to enhance my website!I suppose its adequate to make use of a few of
    your concepts!!

2. TinaShaw on December 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm

We made one of these for our front entry hallway (and to hang stockings on, too!) last year! It’s perfect (and the decorations get rotated out)! Ours has 8 hooks! Thanks for the instructions!

3. Claire K on July 17, 2014 at 10:58 am

I’m hoping to build a similar shelf after reading your post! Thanks for the tips! Would using 1×6 work just as well? It would make it lighter weight but would it compromise it structurally?

4. Dawn M on June 26, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I know this is an old post, but can someone explain why in the top picture the two pieces of wood are attached and then in the next picture there is molding in between them? What am I missing? Lol. I’m so lost, but I want to try this!

• Claire K on July 18, 2014 at 1:02 pm

She placed casing on top of the 1×8 to dress it up.

5. Rebecca Pellerin on March 4, 2014 at 12:40 pm

this is just what I need 😀
    how high on the wall did you put it^

6. Sharon on January 20, 2013 at 10:28 am

Do you remember what paint color you used on your walls? I’ve been trying to find the perfect grey/brown color and I really like the color you used on your walls.

7. Emily on January 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I love the bench. Where did you find it? Thanks for the shelf tutorial!

8. Deidre on January 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Thank you for the inspiration as I made this shelf and Id love it if youd stop by and check it out:) its on an older post of Nov I believe,Thanks again Deidre~

9. Deidre on January 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Wow I found you again!!! I couldnt remember who I got this shelf inspiration from as it was around x-mas and very hectic, but im so happy to tell you I made this and if you go to my blog in an older Nov post you will see it!!! Thank you so much for inspiring me with such a lovely shelf!! Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

10. Becky on November 30, 2011 at 6:35 pm

A friend and I made these shelfs today, such an easy and fun project. I can’t wait to hang this up in the nursery!

11. Karen on November 21, 2011 at 1:34 am

GREAT IDEA!!!

12. Ellie on November 18, 2011 at 2:56 am

Love the shelf and hooks! I always have so much inspiration from your blog. You have no idea how many projects of yours are in my some-day file. Thanks for sharing!

13. Diana @ AnyoneCanDecorate on November 18, 2011 at 1:56 am

Love it… It’s amazing what you can do with a few creative ideas…. and paint… always paint 🙂
    I love to DIY!!!

Blessings,
    Diana

14. Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D on November 17, 2011 at 7:51 pm

We have a faux mantel, too. But, our is an old pottery Barn shelf. i love the fact that you created yours from scratch. (Our is too narrow – if I have made it by hand i would have made it deeper….)

Thanks for sharing!

15. Sue on November 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I love this project. I think I might do this for our daughter…as a surprise. Love the idea of the stockings being hung there too.

16. Alissa on November 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Really cute. Love those hooks.

17. My Duong on November 17, 2011 at 5:33 am

This is so beautiful. I don’t have a fireplace or a mantel in my house either!

18. Janice on November 17, 2011 at 3:17 am

Thank You! so much for the inspiration and precise instructions. I’m thinking I’ll have one in my living room by Saturday evening!

19. Sonya Burton on November 17, 2011 at 3:17 am

Oh this is awesome!!!!!! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

20. Julie A on November 17, 2011 at 3:08 am

Can you please, please tell me where you got the brown-ish finish corner pieces up by the ceiling??? I have some very ugly ones that are beige and plastic that came in our home, and we managed to break one during out move into the home. My hubby and I live in Houston, TX area, so should have similar selections to the DFW area. Thank you so much!!!

21. Tracy on November 17, 2011 at 2:26 am

Awesome! And you’re front door is gorgeous!!

22. Comeca on November 17, 2011 at 2:26 am

Great entry way and that’s the cutest color thanks for sharing!

23. gail on November 17, 2011 at 1:38 am

wow, so simple! beautiful job!
    gail

24. Jaime on November 17, 2011 at 12:24 am

Whitney it’s beautiful, frugal, and useful – those are the best kind of projects. Job well done.

25. Heather Bell on November 17, 2011 at 12:19 am

Love the whole look of it!! So clean and friendly. bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

26. Nadine in Nevada on November 17, 2011 at 12:07 am

That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Love it – Love it – Love it!

27. Ginger on November 16, 2011 at 11:53 pm

WOW! That shelf is gorgeous! It is simple yet so elegant! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing!