Pottery Barn Inspired Silver Bells Swag

I fell in love with this super cute Silver Bells Swag in the Pottery Barn Christmas catalog recently…

Besides the $69 price tag, it was almost immediately unavailable!  So, I decided to make my own:)

Here’s how I made my own version for under $15!

My supplies:

Branches from outside: $Free

Bushel of garland: Michael’s $2.50 (all Christmas items are 50% off)

Burlap garland: Michael’s $2.00

Silver Bells: Hobby Lobby $5.00 each (also after a 50% off Christmas items sale)

Medium jingle bells:  Michael’s $1.50

Tutorial:

I spray painted about 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Heirloom White spray paint on the branches.

I then cut the branches down to the size I wanted and bunched about three together at a time.  I used these twist ties to keep the individual bunches together.

Next, I attached all of the bunches together with a thin jute.

I unfolded the garland and cut it into 4 equal strips

and I arranged them on top of the branches cutting them down as I went.

I also used a thin string of jute to attach the garland strips to the branches.

Now for the fun:)

I put a tiny bit of hot glue on each jingle bell

and arranged them on the garland.

Next, I tied each silver bell to the existing twine at the top of the swag.  (I did hot glue the bells together afterwards so they wouldn’t get blown around in the wind).

How I made a bow with the burlap garland:

I folded one end over a bit to make one loop

and then tied a small string of jute to cinch it up.

I followed with the same steps on the other side and that was it!  I just hot glued it above the silver bells and secured with a little bit more jute from the top of the swag!

That was it!  This project is all about hot glue and it took about an hour to piece together.  I am in LOVE with it:)

If you have any questions it is easiest to answer you on our FaceBook page ~ just leave us a comment and we will get back to you ASAP!  Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. martha on December 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

love it! you could easily make the bells look more like PB’s by adding some silver leaf and glazing in a pale champagne color. 🙂

2. Mindy on December 21, 2011 at 5:19 am

came from KnockOff, LOVE! pinning for next year 🙂

3. Wendy on December 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Hi Shanty sisters! What a lovely idea! You guys have an awesome blog, I love reading it. Recently I started a blog as well, together with my sister. So from now on, we are one of your followers. We would love you to come visit our blog once.

Wendy

4. Jemm on December 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Wow! That is awesome. I wish I had your eye for seeing things that could be DIY. Terrific idea.

5. Tiffany on December 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm

This is a goood. I was viewing this on my phone yesterday but wanted to make sure I came back and commented. It’s a simple, classic piece that will last for years. Job well done.

6. Leslie from Onesie Twosie on December 8, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Wow. I can not believe how you got the same exact look of the PB one with just a fraction of the price!

7. ashleigh on December 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love this! you did a great job! I bet you could even tarnish the bells to give it that old time-y look! Well you have given me the inspiration to go outside in the cold & look for some branches!! 🙂

8. Katrine on December 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Wow! I love this, so pretty!

9. Judy King on December 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Yours turned out prettier than the Pottery Barn one! Lovely!
    ~Judy~

10. stacia on December 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This looks great! Question – the black door you put it on – did you distress that? if so, do you have a tutorial on it???

11. Sissie on December 7, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Ooh, I love this! It’s rustic, yet very beautiful and elegant. PB has nothing on you!

hugs
    Sissie

12. Tina Schiefer on December 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Wow! Very simply elegant…I can’t believe the burlap garland is only $2.00 at your Michaels. I bought a few rolls to put on our Thanksgiving banquet tables for $4.99/roll. Then had to remove it from the table because it smelled so bad like petroleum…NOT very good while eating!!! This is a great alternative idea… since I have 6 ROLLS!!!

13. Susan on December 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I love this! While getting all my decorations out this morning, I discovered some very large red jingle bells. I have the branches that were cut from the bottom of our tree and some burlap. Thanks for the inspiration.

14. Ginger on December 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Great job~ I’d hang it in my house!

15. Trish @ Uncommon on December 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm

This turned out so well! It is just like the Pottery Barn version! We would love for you to share this at our Home for the Holidays link party! I know our readers would love it!

16. Korrie@RedHenHome on December 7, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I like this very much! You made a great knock-off.

17. Linda@Home is Where My Heart is on December 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love it! I’m going to try this. Thanks for making it look so easy. Now, to not burn myself with the hot glue gun. Wish me luck! Linda

18. Lesley on December 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Wow! You cant even tell the two apart. Yours is just as beautiful as the Pottery Barn one! Great Job!