PB Teen Inspired Platform Bed

Hey friends!

I have been CrAzY busy getting my oldest son’s room redone over the last week or so.  He has been in bunk beds, but I was ready for a big boy bed that he could really grow into!

Of course I didn’t have to look far for inspiration…

I found this awesome bed on Pottery Barn Teen!

Yup. I love it! I love ALMOST everything about it…

Except the darn price tag! $800 without the shipping and tax… Ouch.

So… I hit up our sweet friend Ana for some plans and built it myself.

You can see the plans for the bed HERE on Ana’s site!

Today I will share the bed and I will be back to show you the headboard.

For the bed alone I spent $70 in supplies including stain!  Can’t beat that!

Here are some progress pictures of the bed as I was building it, but you can see very detailed and EASY plans HERE on Ana’s site!

I used my Kreg Jig to make pocket holes for the bed frame.  You can also use wood glue and regular screws, but this tool makes it SO much easier!  Here are my pocket holes.  I put 2 on each end of each long board and also used Gorilla Wood Glue to keep things extra sturdy since I know the little boy that will be sleeping in this bed 😉

And the frame together…

The feet of the bed… I LOVE the angle of them.  I used a 10 degree cut for mine.  I think it gives the bed a modern and custom look to it!

All ready to stain…

I used my favorite stain on the entire bed… I used one coat because I love seeing the grain of the wood on it…

My final step was putting it in his room!  Here are some pictures of the bed and I will share the headboard later :-)!!

Yep! It’s official. I LOVE it.  Did I mention that it cost me under $150 to build the whole thing?? That makes me love it even more!

Go check out the plans for this great bed at Ana’s site!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

1. Karen on February 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Love it! Was it easy to move once you built it? I am assuming you attached the headboard in the room after you brought the frame in. Our concern is maneuvering the frame around the doorways. Thanks!

2. Julie on January 28, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Very inspiring. Love that you did this on your own and didn’t spend the money on something you would have had to put together anyway. It is beautiful, or handsome, since it’s for your boy. I hope he knows how much his mother loves him :). Can’t wait to see the headboard.

3. Dreams On A Dollar on January 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love the quilt so much…I need it for our bedroom! I come here often but have never commented…the bed deserved today to start….we are picking up a king mattress this evening for my daughter and she just said could we build a platform bed for it because they currently have a queen and then wala I was on your site! I just started a site at http://www.dreamsonadollar.com and listed you on my blogroll. I also have a foodie site at http://www.bestfoodies.com. Hope you have time to pop in one day!

4. Kate on January 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I am happy to have just popped over from Flamingo Toes. I will start following your site – i”m planning to go take a course at Woodcrafters so I can get started on some fun projects. hubby is too busy to get things done on my time-frame these days!

5. Tiffani on January 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I love it! Where did you find the bedding? I’ve been looking for some boy bedding that isn’t too kiddish.

• Shanty2Chic on January 24, 2012 at 1:23 am

Ironically… Pottery Barn Teen 🙂

6. Ann on January 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

That is so fantastic! I emailed your link to show a few people…. Thanks for sharing!!

• Shanty2Chic on January 24, 2012 at 1:22 am

Thanks Ann!

7. Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D on January 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Oh, that so amazing!
    We are not quite that handy – maybe someday.
    But that would make such a cool family project – building that together!

8. Lauren on January 20, 2012 at 3:30 am

Absolutely love it! I’m definitely putting this on my to-do list – can’t wait for you to post about the headboard!

9. miiah_ on January 19, 2012 at 7:19 am

Love it!!!!

10. Debbie on January 19, 2012 at 5:08 am

Whitney, love it. I’m sure Chase loves it too. 🙂 I’m gonna have to have you come over and help me build one if I ever get over being scared to build something like that.

11. Carrie on January 19, 2012 at 4:16 am

Wow what a fantastic bed. Just the perfect timing for me too. I just dismantled the girls bunks and now they are sleeping on matresses on the floor until I find the right plans for new beds. I can stop looking now I have found them. Im off now to go and get timber to make them. Thanks so much xx

12. Shirley L on January 19, 2012 at 2:43 am

Wow! Very impressive, it looks amazing!!!

13. Cheryl on January 19, 2012 at 12:24 am

Every time I stop by your blog to see what you are up to you are always popping out some cool stuff. I really liked the chalkboard on your son’s wall that you did. You’ve outdone yourself with the platform bed. Very cool.

14. Amber on January 18, 2012 at 11:26 pm

First off I had to chuckle when I saw your lovely manicured hands modeling the wood glue (kudos!) And second, how did you get the frame through the bedroom door!
    Beautiful bed, I love the stain color!

• Karalot on February 6, 2017 at 2:11 pm

How did you get the frame through the the door?

15. Korrie@RedHenHome on January 18, 2012 at 9:30 pm

You put PB to shame every time! Great work.

16. Pamela on January 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It’s a great look! But I’m curious: what sort of floor treatment is that? Thanks!

17. Diana @ AnyoneCanDecorate on January 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Love it!!! Awesome job… I am just starting to break out the power tools again… It has been awhile, but your stuff inspires me <3

18. Elizabeth on January 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Very neat!! I’m so impressed and inspired all at once!

19. austinklee on January 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Did you use any varnish on it at all?

• Shanty2Chic on January 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I didn’t on the bed, but I will when I do his desk and nightstands. I will let you know what I use!

• Jennifer Miller Jablonski on May 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm

can you share a pick of the desk in nightstands you made?
        Fantastic job btw- I love the bed

20. Thien on January 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

That looks awesome! You make everything seem so easy. I’m still intimidated by powertools =/ But I love everything y’all do! Thanks so much for sharing it all!