PBTeen Inspired Memo Board

Hey guys!

My girls had Nationals for cheerleading this weekend, but I am finally able to sit down and share my latest project.  I am in the process of completely redoing my son’s room.  I recently ran across a really cute memo board on PBTeen and had to make my own shanty version!

I had some scrap 1/2″ MDF from my mirror project and decided to use it for this one.

You can have Home Depot or Lowe’s cut your MDF for you.  You can also use plywood.  My piece was big… 20″ x 45″

I started by painting one side black.  He has black in his bedding, but you can use any color that makes you happy!

While that was drying I cut the trim pieces.  I used 1×2 for this project.  I cut my long pieces at 45″ to match the MDF and cut my side pieces 21.5″ to cover the trim pieces.  Before I attached them I stained them and let them dry.

I used a small knife to cut small notches on the sides of my MDF.  I put a small notch every 4″ where my twine would be so that my trim would lay flat.

I ran 4 pieces of twine from side to side and attached them to the back of my MDF like this with a staple gun.  You can also hot glue them if you prefer.

I used some wood glue and nails to attach my dry trim pieces after that.  I attached my long pieces first, and then attached the side trim after like this…

That was it!

My last step was adding my clothespins.  I bought some mini ones from Joann’s and spray painted them green to match his bedding.  Then, I added some of our family pics.  I am sure he will be filling up the rest with lots of other goodies 😉

I hung it up and here it is…

This was a scrap project for me, but this can easily be made for under $15… That makes it chic and cheap! Woohoo!

Hope you like it!  Be a doll and pin it if you do 😉

Happy Monday!

1. Kelley MacKinnon on April 3, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Had to admit had a hell of a time with staple in mdf… ended up my husband had this great way to tie the twine at the back, but I also ended up glue gunning them

2. Beth on January 21, 2015 at 10:20 am

Stumbled upon this blog post and loved it so much that I made my own. =) I was wondering, how did you hang it up? I’m not sure what to use.

3. Casey Smalley on October 28, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi, do you remember what type of finish this is? I really like the way it looks. Thanks 🙂

4. Whitney Summers on October 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I am totally obsessed with your entire blog. Im fairly certain my husband is planning a project intervention any day now! I can’t wait to make this project for my hallway! I plan to display old family photos on it for everyday use then at Christmas time I will use it to hang out Christmas cards!!! Ps. Us Whitney’s must have a weak spot for DiY!!

5. Sarah Bowes-Pope {domesticated-engineer} on May 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hi Whitney!

I love this and am going to start building one today for our guest room. I just have one question, what did you use to attach the board to the wall?

Thanks for such a great idea!

6. Shianne on March 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I absolutely love all of your projects!! Totally my style, and love that everything is affordable!! You have made me eager to bring out my crafty side, and try some of these for my house! Thank you!!!

7. Amber-Dawn on March 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

I love this. My daughter is doing a western theme in her room and this will be a great addition. I was wondering what color of stain you used? She loves the dark and not sure what brand or color to use to get the same look you have on the board.

8. julie a on January 25, 2012 at 2:58 am

Love this great idea! I am thinking chalkboard paint! Thanks for the idea!

9. Susan on January 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

I just brought home an old green chalkboard last night… I’m seeing the same thing with that! Beautiful job, so simple but it looks so cool!
    Susan

10. Angela on January 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm

LOVE it! Am going to try it today. How did you hang it?

11. Lori on January 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm

This would be cute in a laundry room with the “clothesline” look.

12. tina on January 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I like this idea for displaying ATCs!!! Thanks for the idea and how-to!

13. Pam B on January 17, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Love it! I bought some mini-clothespins when I ran across them at Walmart a few weeks ago. I had no idea what I was going to use them for at the time, but knew I’d find something. Now I’ve found the “something” to do with them. Thanks for sharing.

14. Julie on January 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Love this! It would look really great in my den to hang up some great photos. Love all of your DIY projects! Thanks for sharing – Julie from Ten51Design.blogspot.com

15. Lolly Jane on January 17, 2012 at 5:02 am

You gals never cease to amaze us with your knock-off skills! Love it!
    Happy Monday!
    xo

• Shanty2Chic on January 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

16. Becky on January 17, 2012 at 4:59 am

I love this, such a great copycat. The simplicity of the look is classic.

17. Kristen on January 17, 2012 at 3:50 am

This is awesome! Thanks!

18. Korrie@RedHenHome on January 17, 2012 at 3:43 am

That’s seriously cute!

19. Debbie Faber on January 17, 2012 at 3:27 am

Thanks for sharing that…I am going to make my daughter one for her kitchen for Valentines Day for her toddler’s art work and papers!

20. Kim on January 17, 2012 at 3:02 am

It’s really cute! I’m always switching out pictures and scrapbooking pages, this would be perfect.

21. Michell @ Girl In Air on January 17, 2012 at 2:37 am

Awesome!! I think I’m just gonna HAVE to make me one:-) THank you for sharing!

22. Mary on January 17, 2012 at 2:37 am

LOVE IT! I made my own PB knock off at christmas and posted a DIY on my facebook page All a Jumble. My husband did my cutting, he likes to think I am helpless with this sort of thing and I let him “help” me out. Your blog has been such an inspiration to me getting back into my love of creating. I also have a DIY to change an old home interior ornate framed mirror into something you can actually use. I have found 3 of them for $5 ea at auctions, flea market and the GoodWill store!

• Shanty2Chic on January 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thanks so much Mary!! Good luck with your projects… Share a pic with us when you get them all finished! 🙂