DIY Wood Storage Crate

Hey there!  I am so excited to share a fun, easy and cheap project with you all!

I love it so much that I want one for every room in my house;)

Here’s how I made it for $17!

~ I purchased 5 – 1×3 furring strips and 1 – 2×2 scrap from the scrap bin at Lowe’s (you only need about a 4″ piece)

~ I cut 8 pieces at 36″ and 8 pieces at 20″.  I then cut 4 pieces of the 2×2 at 9.5″ (Lowe’s will cut your boards for you also).

~ I also bought one 1/4″ sheet of plywood at 36×20″.

I finished my shopping trip with a package of 1/2″ wood screws and 8 metal angles.  The angles are back with the roofing products.  There is a huge shelf of metal pieces (fun:) and these are about $.60 each.

I started by nailing the short furring strips to the 2×2’s (4 on each side).  I used Gorilla Glue wood glue to secure.

I then added the long furring strips to each end also using nails and Gorilla Glue wood glue and then finished the build by attaching the 1/4″ plywood to the bottom with wood glue and nails.  (I just nailed it into the bottom of the furring strips).

EASY!  Before applying the finish, I beat the crate all over with a hammer, bolts, basically anything I could find to rough it up.  I also used a flathead screwdriver and dragged it across the boards.

I used my favorite Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut Stain to finish:)

To achieve the industrial look I was going for, I added 1 angle at the top and bottom of all four edges and secured them with the wood screws.  Easy right:))

This was one of the quickest projects I have done and so cheap:)

If you love it, I would so appreciate pins:)  Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great week!

~Ashley

1. Kathy Moore on September 28, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Hey Ladies! I was wondering is there a cheaper way of building a crate?

2. Stacey Scherer on June 11, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Hi, I just found your website yesterday. I am making the blanket ladder this weekend and now, I have to make this crate, I just LOVE it. Is there printable instructions for this crate? What about when to attach the bottom? I did not see this, unless I missed it?
    Thanks, Stacey

3. Celia Chung on January 17, 2014 at 8:16 am

Hi !!
    Love it but, what are the final dimensions 🙂

Thank you !

4. Tina Marinella on July 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I absolutely adore your site but is there a way to get these pop ups taken down? Its a pain when you are reading something and a coupon pops up for something lol Thanks

• Shanty2Chic on July 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

What is the ad popping up? We have requested that they be removed so there shouldn’t be any:/

5. Rebecca Waldron on April 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Question: what is the 5th furring strip for? I’m confused. I think this crate is beautiful and would love to make it.

6. Samantha Vaughn on April 19, 2013 at 2:48 am

Can’t wait to make this! However, I noticed when you first detailed the materials, you said that you only needed about a 4″ piece of the 2×2, when it should say 4′. I figured it out soon after reading but I know I would’ve gotten to the store and got a 4″ piece without thinking about it haha. Just letting you know so you can fix! 🙂 Thanks for the great project!!

7. Rob Seddon on March 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

This crate looks brilliant. I’m excited about making one!

8. Ashely on June 10, 2012 at 8:38 am

I LOVE these & I LOVE your website! You guys are amazing and such an inspiration to me! I love all your DIY stuff! “Pinterest Rant”

9. Patty S. on May 15, 2012 at 10:42 am

I just made this storage crate this weekend – I LOVE it! I did find that the dimensions for the 1/4 plywood on the bottom are too small at 36X20 – mine was too narrow by about 1.5 inches – it needed to be more like 36X21.5. I added some scrap 1X2 along the inside bottom edge so I would have something for the plywood to nail into along the longer edges. Aside from that, it was super easy and SO cute! I also made your magazine tray and “FAMILY” wall sign. I am SO inspired to keep building!

10. Carissa Danielle on April 24, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much, i’ve been looking EVERYWHERE for old crates, but never thought of just DIY… and these are SO PERFECT for what I want to use them for, thank you SO much for this and sharing….
    ~Carissa Danielle

11. Julie on April 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thank you! My husband built this as a toy box for my sons room. I had him build a lift off lid for it and added handles to the sides to make it look more like a wooden trunk. It’s perfect!

12. Laurie-Anne on April 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I found this post on pinterest. Absolutely love this piece and your blog! 🙂

13. Heather on April 17, 2012 at 9:03 am

I think this would be great in a nursery/playroom…but with some black wheels on the bottom and some sort of handle (like on a radio flyer wagon) to pull it from the playroom to the living room. Then maybe some big hobby lobby letters bolted to the side that says TOYS…..OR with rope handles on each side, then fill it with goodies for gifts…oh the fabulous & endless possibilities!! THANKS!!

~Heather

14. Delina on April 5, 2012 at 8:49 am

This crate is larger in reality than I expected! Also, our Lowe’s doesn’t have a scrap bin, so after buying all the wood and supplies, our total was more than $40. Still, I love it…but don’t know how many more I can make if I don’t find scrap wood somewhere! Thanks for the plans. Gonna do the sanding and staining today!

15. Susan on March 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Love it! I might have to make one for blanket storage and one for dog toy storage in my living room!

16. Holly on March 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Love this! And it was so simple to make, my husband and I made it this weekend and it looks great!!! Thank you for the inspiration!!

17. Danielle on March 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Love these! And love the ideas people are coming up with to add to it – under the bed storage, wheels, lids – fun! Quick question, do you use a nail gun or just a hammer and some muscles? 🙂

• Ashley on March 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

Thanks Danielle! I just used a battery powered nail gun. It could be done with finishing nails and a hammer pretty easily though:)