DIY Wooden Family Sign

Hey there!  It was such a beautiful weekend for us here!  We were able to enjoy our little league opening day and a birthday party for my niece and although it was jam-packed, I managed to squeeze in a little DIY!  It took about 30 minutes and $20!

The giant blank space above our PB Inspired Storage System , in our gameroom, finally got the best of me and inspired me to make this Wooden Family Sign;)

Here’s how I did it!

Supplies:

MDI letters from Hobby Lobby ($1.25 after sale)

4 – 1×4 furring strips ($1 each) cut down to 58″

11 – 3/8″x1″ Hex Lag Screws (hardware store $0.36 each) and 1 bag of 5/16″ flat washers (hardware store $2) These were in the nuts and bolts isle.

I started by spray painting the letters with Rust-Oleum Heirloom White🙂

While I waited for the letters to dry, I built the sign.  I used Gorilla Glue Wood Glue and my nailer to attach scrap 1×2’s to the back of 4 1×4’s.  (You will also need to attach your mounting bracket, if you plan to hang it on a wall, now).

I then stained the sign with Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut Stain.

Next, I used Gorilla Glue Epoxy to attach the letters to the sign.

Now for the fun, finishing touch!

I wanted an industrial look for this sign so I chose to add the galvanized hex screws.  I marked off where I wanted the hex screws to be placed (I chose random spacing) and pre-drilled a hole for each screw.  I then added a washer and tightened the screw down with a wrench.

That was it:)  30 minutes and less than $20!

I love how it fills the space now:)

Nothing like a cheap and quick DIY:)  If you love it I would LOVE pins;)  Thanks ~Ashley

1. Courtney R Smith on October 22, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Short on time and need a gift for the holidays, wedding shower, housewarming? Want to add a beautiful one of a kind sign or decor to your own home. oneofakindworks.kickshops.com has the most beautiful family name signs, sound wave art pieces that turn any sound or voice into amazing paintings, quirky quotes, folded book art that is to die for, wall decor with hidden storage spaces and SO much more. Arrival time is only 3-5 days after ordering and rush is always an option for only $4.99!!

2. Kolorclmx on October 17, 2018 at 9:13 am

What’s up to all! I’m grateful for that review.

3. Lizzie Simantz on March 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I’m late to the game, but I LOVE this! I definitely plan on making something similar very soon. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

4. Bobbi-Alan Van Reet on February 22, 2013 at 8:13 am

Silly question, but what size drill but do I use to pre drill the holes for the screws? Thanks!!! Making one painted white with my daughters name in pink for her room!!!

• Shanty2Chic on February 22, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hey Bobbi,
      I used 7/64″. It’s a snug fit:)

5. Stephanie Hulings on December 14, 2012 at 9:06 am

Love this! Making it for a Christmas gift. Can anyone tell me how you hung it up on the wall? Thanks!

6. Danielle Crocker on August 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

What size are the letters? I am heading to the hardware store tonight for paint colors and I’ll be picking the wood up for this too!

• Tina Sholes Marinella on September 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm

This is what I needed to know. My Home Depot and local craft store did not have them available in store but I noticed Home Depot has 8 in MDF letters online. Is that the correct size?

• Shanty2Chic on September 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yes! They are 8 inches tall. Sorry for the delay, the sign is hanging over my entertainment center and I kept forgetting to get up there and measure it:)

7. Darlene Sowell on August 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I love this!!! How did you attach it to the wall?

8. Stephanie on July 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Neither Home Depot nor Lowe’s or Walmart carries these Rustoleum products… at least where I live. Where did you purchase them?

• Shanty2Chic on July 7, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Hi,
      The only place I know that you can purchase the stain is Lowe’s. Rust-Oleum spray paint can be found at Home Depot and Hobby Lobby. If you are having a problem finding then in your area, I would just look for other brands in similar colors:). Hope this helps!
      Sent from my iPad